You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

There seems to be little Rhyme or reason. I'd go down to Dublin, up to Belfast, over to Drumquin or up to Carrickmore. Up to Bundoran, over to ballyshannon and up to Derry.

ziggysego

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 20, 2012, 01:58:05 AM
People living north of somewhere referring to that place as "up."  For example, someone in the north saying somebody else is "up in Dublin."  To me "down in Dublin" would be more logical.

Annoys the hell out of me too. I'm going up to Dublin for the weekend, but I have to head down to Derry first. FFS!
Testing Accessibility

Eamonnca1

Well in Lurgan you go "up the town" because the main street is on a ridge, where it gets its name from. No matter where in the town you are you have to go up a hill to meet your mates on the high street.  But when I worked in Belfast we'd always go "down the town" to go to the city centre from the Falls.  But from Lurgan you go "up" to Belfast or just "up to the city".

The in the states there's the old "back east" business.  From San Francisco you go "back east" to New York even if you've never been there before.  Must be because of the way the continent was settled by Europeans from the east moving westwards.

Captain Obvious

I wonder was the up town girl really down town?

fitzroyalty

You go up the town in Lurgan, but nearly everyone says down to such and such, where ever they're going... 'Down to training' 'down to Newry' 'Down to Belfast' 'Down to Donegal' 'Down to Dublin'... Over to Portadown and out to Dungannon/The Moy/Banbridge/Moira are exceptions.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 20, 2012, 07:23:35 PM
I wonder was the up town girl really down town?

Nah, she lived in the up town world.

Tony Baloney

omagh_gael

LeoMc

Quote from: chocoholic on August 19, 2012, 11:48:00 AM
Jesus lads, relax. Its a personal thing that grinds my gears. Sorry for mentioning ffs, it obviously isnt as widespread as I thought.
Have seen it done, but every level and every game?

Puckoon

When autocorrect turns "dicking around on the interweb" into "dicking around on the intern" you might get a frosty reply from her indoors.

gerrykeegan

Jesus fried sausages, I thought you were watching the weight!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

gerrykeegan

Actually I'm a fine one to pass comment, just finished grilled bacon, fried egg and fried potatoes.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ballinaman

The poncy accent on the kid in the hello.ie ad set in a classrooom.

trileacman

The way all rte commentators say "dayboo" instead of debut.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Eamonnca1