UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Have any of you seen Corbyn on PMQs every week ????
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

The Brexit spin is very flimsy . It is emotional rather than rational and the Tories don't want May to flop in front of the cameras.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2017, 08:58:20 AM

Precisely - he's a disaster when given a platform.

gallsman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 19, 2017, 08:57:31 PMObama kept his cool against Senator "mood swing" McCain and wiped the floor with Mitt Romney.

Obama lost a debate to Romney (the first I think). Badly.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2017, 10:00:28 AM
Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2017, 08:58:20 AM

Precisely - he's a disaster when given a platform.

Actually, on watching most weeks, both of them are very poor. They 'sloganise' rather than debate often saying and replying on separate lines fed to them beforehand and end up trading insults.

gallsman

Moving away from May and Corbyn, I see Douglas Carswell, who had already left UKIP, won't be running again. Farage has said he won't run (although I wouldn't put it past him to do yet another 180) but it begs the question now more than ever, why does the party continue to exist?! Will this finally be the end of it?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
Moving away from May and Corbyn, I see Douglas Carswell, who had already left UKIP, won't be running again. Farage has said he won't run (although I wouldn't put it past him to do yet another 180) but it begs the question now more than ever, why does the party continue to exist?! Will this finally be the end of it?

Got over 4 million votes in 2015 but no return due to distribution across GB due to no stronghold as required by FPTP elections. They need PR, i.e. the significant number of MEPs.

Infighting and useless leadership will continue to ensure their decline but the Little Englanders and that mentality will continue to prevail throughout England so they will never go away.  Note how Tories will play Brexit card to pull most onboard.

gallsman

Those 4 million votes were prior to Brexit becoming government policy though. I wonder how they'll get on this time - Nutall is an absolute buffon

seafoid

UKIP had 2 policies.  Leave and grammar schools. The Tories adopted both which was amazing. The party will be around until the end of the Brexit process probably.

The KIP in UKIP is very appropriate.

DuffleKing

A lot of people here obviously have not actually paid any attention to the personal performances of either corbyn or may. May is horrific unless reading an auto cue or prepared mantra. Corbyn is no more than a decent off the cuff orator but he is light years ahead of may.

PMQs are an embarrassment. Corbyn consistently catches may out and asks questions she cannot answer. The fact that she reverts to scripted sound bites and never answers questions (literally) when this happens seems to entirely satisfy political commentary and journalism.

There is a very definite state of affairs here that the notion that Corbyn and a political approach that priorities societal values is unpalatable to the masses or unelectable. I firmly believe the masses have consumed this narrative while without analysis as it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The question is whether people will follow the media mantra at the polling stations as they have done 99% of the time or if they vote their minds as with Brexit and as Americans did with Trump. In both of those instances the media direction was way off and accompanying polls laughably out.

It never ceases to amaze me how working class brits can vote for Tory workhouse masters en masse when they are scared (usually by a succinct media campaign). The tories are parasites with middle and executive class interests at heart. This incarnation is particularly unscrupulous and I expect ruthless when the time comes. Their policy u turns since May took over have been staggering and have gone largely unquestioned. Their best people are not even in the cabinet. Ffs look at the foreign office, treasury, home office, brexit dept. It's laughable. May herself was a horrendous Home Secretary, who many believe was stayed from execution from government by the brexit result.

British politics and particularly British political journalism is a shambles.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 21, 2017, 10:49:02 AM
A lot of people here obviously have not actually paid any attention to the personal performances of either corbyn or may. May is horrific unless reading an auto cue or prepared mantra. Corbyn is no more than a decent off the cuff orator but he is light years ahead of may.

PMQs are an embarrassment. Corbyn consistently catches may out and asks questions she cannot answer. The fact that she reverts to scripted sound bites and never answers questions (literally) when this happens seems to entirely satisfy political commentary and journalism.

+1  see above, I watch PMQs most weeks and May has no spontaneity and unable to respond without insult or slogan.

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 21, 2017, 10:49:02 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how working class brits can vote for Tory workhouse masters en masse when they are scared (usually by a succinct media campaign). The tories are parasites with middle and executive class interests at heart. This incarnation is particularly unscrupulous and I expect ruthless when the time comes. Their policy u turns since May took over have been staggering and have gone largely unquestioned. Their best people are not even in the cabinet. Ffs look at the foreign office, treasury, home office, brexit dept. It's laughable. May herself was a horrendous Home Secretary, who many believe was stayed from execution from government by the brexit result.

British politics and particularly British political journalism is a shambles.

I believe that many of the English and the Welsh are serf-like.  Many of them prefer to elect Tories almost by default despite the suffering inflicted on the general population earning less than as much as £60-70K per household per annum by the austerity measures put in place by Cameron and Osborne since 2010.  They prefer to be governed by Tories with no interest in their welfare and conditions than allow Corbyn who they consider to be bereft of any ability to run the country. 

Corbyn has no hope of gaining any seats because he has to convince previous Conservative voters to change to Labour and they show no interest in doing so given his offer because in their serf-like mentality they prefer to doff the cap to the ruling Tory class because they want strong government.

The media has largely exposed Corbyn as a clown and those around him share his limited abilities, e.g. Dawn Butler on R4 and now the shadow Education minister on SKY news.

Labour needs the like of Yvette Cooper to take on destroy the Tories as she regularly does with T May in PMQs.

seafoid

Corbyn has to convince the floating voters in the middle that Labour will be better for them. The Tory economic record is atrocious.  This is why May's pitch is emotional.

Minder

Quote from: seafoid on April 21, 2017, 12:01:14 PM
Corbyn has to convince the floating voters in the middle that Labour will be better for them. The Tory economic record is atrocious.  This is why May's pitch is emotional.

Corbyn needs to convince quite a lot of Labour voters I would say too, which is why they haven't a hope.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2017, 12:12:49 PM

Corbyn needs to convince quite a lot of Labour voters I would say too, which is why they haven't a hope.
They have a good few safe seats.
I think the Tories are vulnerable on the economy.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2017, 12:12:49 PM

Corbyn needs to convince his Labour parliamentary colleagues but he seems to be fine with grass roots labour members who keep voting him in.
Whether that grass routes support translates to the general public is another matter and yes the Media have already decided he's a dead duck especially the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg.