National Hurling Legue 1B 2018

Started by redsetanta, October 13, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

GAA.ie Hurling Team of the Week

1: Donal Tuohy (Clare)

2: Adrian Tuohey (Galway) 3: Leigh Bergin (Laois) 4: Ben Conneely (Offaly)

5: Seadna Morey (Clare) 6: Padraic Maher (Tipperary) 7: Mikey O'Malley (Clare)

8: Lee Chin (Wexford) 9: Damien Casey (Tyrone)

10: Martin Keoghan (Kilkenny) 11: Daniel Glynn (Roscommon) 12: TJ Reid (Kilkenny)

13: Cathal Mannion (Galway) 14: Ross King (Laois) 15: Jason Forde (Tipperary)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

IamEndaDowling

Howdy! Long time reader, first time poster (and never ever one for aliases as you can see).

Just a quick line if it's of any interest to ye to say I was also up at Galway v Offaly on Sunday afternoon - and despite the scoreline I was actually impressed with the Offaly backs. Should make for a very tough game this weekend. Joe Cooney was the only Galway forward that really won his battle, until he got injured and had to come off.

Galway don't look out of first gear yet in the league, and sure they really don't have to be. But in saying that Ben Conneely and David O'Toole both had stints on Conor Whelan and were impressive. Also, Joe Bergin and Shane Dooley only came off the bench late in the second half for Offaly, and could be deployed earlier v Laois. On the whole Laois played better v Galway, but there's plenty there for Offaly to add this weekend. 

Unlaoised

Early throw in might affect the Laois start I hope Kelly has them well prepared to lash into these Offaly feckers....

Offaly will be very much up for this knowing they must win ...because its at home because its Laois and most of all to ram it down Kellys throat...
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

They wanted to lash it to Kelly last year but we still beat them. They will be up for it for sure and it will be a physical battle which I hope Laois don't get dragged into niggly stuff as I feel it would affect us more than Offaly. Probably see a few cards and wouldn't be surprised if a couple were red. Offaly are big and physical but we haven't been afraid to go at teams this year and we have skillful forwards who if they click on the day can do damage.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tobias

This is a bigger game for Offaly than it is for Laois. They really need to win this one for a number of reasons. I think they will go all out to win by picking their best team and try to control the game. We will need a massive intensity (similar to Galway game). We need to try and match them physically and set the tone for the game early on. They have huge forwards and we don't have huge backs so we might be under a bit of pressure there. We will need big games from lads all over the field. It is definitely winnable for Laois and it would give us a massive boost for the rest of the year. If we lose I don't think its the end of the world for this team. We will have another chance against Dublin to get out of a relegation match.

redsetanta

Anyone know how PJ Scully got on during the week? Kelly mentioned he would be playing in the mid week game.

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Don Draper

redsetanta

Big game todaay. Give Offaly plenty of it. Better accuracy and big games  from Cha  and Willie Dunphy. Ross King can't be expected to do it every week. A goal or two would be welcome.

blueandwhite1

That was a poor enough display. We were very wasteful. Offaly played with much more accuracy and we never made our possession count when we were on top. First touch poor and we turned over the ball 100 times through short passing. I don't mind losing to Offaly but our hurling is much better than it was today and I'd say everyone is very disappointed. We lost by 5 and must have blown 4 or 5 easy frees.

SpeculativeEffort

An absolute mile off the pace today. No bite to us whatsoever. You'd have question some of the switches made by Kelly too. We didnt compete in the air at all. Defenders batting the ball with no conviction or bite. It was over with 25 mins left and the scoreline flattered us.

hurlingmad

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on February 25, 2018, 05:32:36 PM
An absolute mile off the pace today. No bite to us whatsoever. You'd have question some of the switches made by Kelly too. We didnt compete in the air at all. Defenders batting the ball with no conviction or bite. It was over with 25 mins left and the scoreline flattered us.

Did any of the subs perform well?

SpeculativeEffort

Stapleton looked to settle before half time but was quiet after. Quinlan was handed the unenviable task of marking an in form Joe Bergin and struggled from the off with Bergin rattling the net immediately. Looked a bit more at home in the half line. Mark Kavanagh scored a sideline and maybe one from play. Got bottled up when looking to take on his man but won some good ball. McKane looks lively but its a huge ask for him to compete against lads 3/4 stone heavier than him. Panel is threadbare. Worried for cship.

hurlingmad

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on February 25, 2018, 08:51:11 PM
Stapleton looked to settle before half time but was quiet after. Quinlan was handed the unenviable task of marking an in form Joe Bergin and struggled from the off with Bergin rattling the net immediately. Looked a bit more at home in the half line. Mark Kavanagh scored a sideline and maybe one from play. Got bottled up when looking to take on his man but won some good ball. McKane looks lively but its a huge ask for him to compete against lads 3/4 stone heavier than him. Panel is threadbare. Worried for cship.

McKane has lovely skill, I fear he isn't big enough but I may eat my words, Kavanagh I the Michael Owen of Laois, feel so sorry for him but if he stays injury free he is a great asset, If never seen Quinlan play adult level hurling, u21 with b/k was the last I seen of him