Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

The top brass will be panicking at the state of this attendance, this certainly wasn't part of the plan.

Rossfan

The Golden Goose has devoured all her chickens and stopped laying.
But  Officialdom still had it's heads in the sand blaming schedules and Kildare.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 07, 2019, 02:24:39 PM
it's almost half the 58,723 that attended the last provincial semi-final meeting of Dublin and Kildare - which was also part of a double-header - in 2011.

"I think that reflects on Kildare really, they were really up there at the time, probably in Division 1 which is always a help. Last year, Kildare had a great run in getting to the Super 8s and so on," Bolger is quoted as saying in the Irish Daily Star.

Kildare finished higher in the league this year than in 2011!

Serious stretch by the Leinster Chairman. Like most counties Kildare have a smallish core support who'll be there through thick and thin and a sizeable fair weather support when things are looking up. Kildare were desperate for most of the mid 2000s and brought poor crowds - I'd say there was only a few thousand of us there in Croke Park for Leinster games between 04-06 (Wexford 04, Wicklow/Westmeath/Laois 05, Offaly 06). That was at a time when Leinster games were drawing massive crowds. We're no worse now than we were then.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on June 07, 2019, 04:45:05 PM
The Golden Goose has devoured all her chickens and stopped laying.
But  Officialdom still had it's heads in the sand blaming schedules and Kildare.

Well, obviously they're going to blame anyone but themselves, for fattening that Golden Goose.

vetoldthe

The doubleheader should have been in tullamore
they would be some crack aroung the town
and some atmosphere at the games,
but no, its all about the Dubs

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 07, 2019, 04:05:03 PM
Not Dublin related...but are the Monaghan/Fermanagh/Armagh/Cavan doubleheader tickets priced at Ulster championship prices or qualifier? Or is it separate depending from the county of purchase? Or are they all similar in price?

Pat McGrane Stand Pre-Purchase: €20.00/£17.00 Match-Day €25.00/£20.00 Juveniles €5.00/£5.00 - RESERVED SEATING
Eastern Stand Pre-Purchase: €20.00/£17.00 Match-Day €25.00/£20.00 Juveniles €5.00/£5.00 - UNRESERVED SEATING
Terrace Pre-Purchase: €18.00/£15.00 Match-Day €20.00/£18.00 Juveniles €5.00/£5.00 - STANDING

BennyCake

What was the crowd at Tyrone Donegal?

Rossfan

Hound

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 07, 2019, 05:18:54 PM
it's almost half the 58,723 that attended the last provincial semi-final meeting of Dublin and Kildare - which was also part of a double-header - in 2011.

"I think that reflects on Kildare really, they were really up there at the time, probably in Division 1 which is always a help. Last year, Kildare had a great run in getting to the Super 8s and so on," Bolger is quoted as saying in the Irish Daily Star.

Serious stretch by the Leinster Chairman. Like most counties Kildare have a smallish core support who'll be there through thick and thin and a sizeable fair weather support when things are looking up. Kildare were desperate for most of the mid 2000s and brought poor crowds - I'd say there was only a few thousand of us there in Croke Park for Leinster games between 04-06 (Wexford 04, Wicklow/Westmeath/Laois 05, Offaly 06). That was at a time when Leinster games were drawing massive crowds. We're no worse now than we were then.
You kinda are. Than 2011 anyway.
You coulda/shoulda beat both Dublin and Donegal that year, yet within 13 or 14 months of the Donegal defeat in extra time through an extraordinary and unlikely point by Cassidy, both Dublin and Donegal had collected Sam while Kildare had entered an extreme downward spiral for some reason. 

The standard in the rest of Leinster from 2013 to 2018 has been pretty abysmal. Coinciding with Dublin having a really good team and manager has got us to where we are. Thankfully Meath and Kildare are least seem to be on an upward trajectory now

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hound on June 09, 2019, 10:12:08 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 07, 2019, 05:18:54 PM

You kinda are. Than 2011 anyway.
You coulda/shoulda beat both Dublin and Donegal that year, yet within 13 or 14 months of the Donegal defeat in extra time through an extraordinary and unlikely point by Cassidy, both Dublin and Donegal had collected Sam while Kildare had entered an extreme downward spiral for some reason. 

The standard in the rest of Leinster from 2013 to 2018 has been pretty abysmal. Coinciding with Dublin having a really good team and manager has got us to where we are. Thankfully Meath and Kildare are least seem to be on an upward trajectory now

It's 04-07 where I'm drawing the comparison. We had sunk back to post Tompkins/Fahy 1980s depths in those years. I think we only won four championship matches across those four years - Wicklow, Westmeath, Cavan and Roscommon. I think we went about five years without winning a minor championship match too in that period.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

High Fielder

Kildare 14/1 to beat Dublin today. The Dublin team would need to take to the pitch mouldy drunk for Kildare to have a squeak. Those odds would probably be bigger if it was anyone else in Leinster. I'm not aware of similar odds in any sport with two teams on the pitch. This is not sport any more and people have better things to be doing than forking out good money to watch their county being humiliated.

After today, and even before it, we will talk about tiers and other solutions. Truth is, inter county is a flawed concept. Dublin are professional or semi professional, call it what you like. I read yesterday that some of them are getting 6k for guest appearances. And good luck to them. But you can't compete with that. Not what it has become. Forget what it was, because that was a different time and place. We're in a different place altogether now, and the gap is being widened by the trappings of success. We're getting towards a county not being able to field a team. If you're a Wicklow player this morning, do you go back for more next year? The GAA are trading on blind loyalty, and I hate them for that.

There are some good footballers/hurlers in Wicklow, Leitrim and every other county in Ireland. It's a sad day when there is no vehicle to allow you to play at the highest level of whatever sport you participate in. Inter county is restrictive and full of inequality and unfairness.

Rossfan

A subject for discussion during the long winter nights.
Do we create 4 Provincial teams - Connacht, Leinster (11 Counties), Munster and Ulster to take on Dublin on an equal population footing (Connacht would only be 50% at most)?
Or
The GAA ad a whole grow some balls and make Dublin a Provincial unit with 4 Co Boards?
More "mean spiritedness" I suppose.
But as Breheny said yesterday "The empty seats are speaking...."

High Fielder

I personally have no desire to do Dublin down. They're a great team. But i know they have a lot of advantages that other teams can't compete with. I think we need 8 professional teams and let Dublin be one of them. Inter County has never worked. Small counties are irrelevant and can never win anything

sekibanki

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2019, 11:53:21 AM
A subject for discussion during the long winter nights.
Do we create 4 Provincial teams - Connacht, Leinster (11 Counties), Munster and Ulster to take on Dublin on an equal population footing (Connacht would only be 50% at most)?
Or
The GAA ad a whole grow some balls and make Dublin a Provincial unit with 4 Co Boards?
More "mean spiritedness" I suppose.
But as Breheny said yesterday "The empty seats are speaking...."
When we had the Railway Cup, peoplelost interest and stopped showing up to it. Although moving it from its day in the sun didn't help.
And there is some kind of morbid attraction in a two-game tournament where everyone bands together to try and beat the Dubs...

From the Bunker

Jez, there is some wishey washey mini documentaries thrown out there to try to promote the Game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84FmST3WYU