M50

Started by saffron, November 16, 2007, 08:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Will youse stop whinging about the actions of a government that you elected. If you have a gripe do something about it, organise and oppose, stop behaving like sheep waiting for the shepherd to come and lead them. No wonder Bertie and Co. are laughing all the way to the Bank

dec

If you don't want to pay the toll, don't drive on the toll road.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Have we not already paid for these roads with our car tax?
Why do we allow Public/Private partnerships where the public money id used to build new roads and the private money seems only to be used to collect the tolls?
[/quote]

Bono presumably hasn't

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 16, 2007, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 16, 2007, 09:41:41 AM
Its even worse when you drive a van..it costs me €3.30 as it is that means i'll have to pay over €5 if this hike is brought in  >:(

LaoisLad, buy an easypass for your "car" and keep it in your "van" by mistake.  ;)

No im way too honest for that.... ;)

I have a mate you uses his brothers old Garda badge to get thru the toll bridge for free every time,they are the spit of each other so he never has any problems
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Pangurban on November 16, 2007, 07:32:13 PM
Will youse stop whinging about the actions of a government that you elected. If you have a gripe do something about it, organise and oppose, stop behaving like sheep waiting for the shepherd to come and lead them. No wonder Bertie and Co. are laughing all the way to the Bank

How do you know we all voted for the government?  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

AhFeckRef

::)

Yawn.... M50, Tolls, Traffic chaos, Bus Strikes......  ::)

Simple answer... Get a job somewhere else in the country.

Can make it to work in 5 minutes, toll free, down the country....  ;)

dodo

Quote from: AhFeckRef on November 18, 2007, 10:06:33 PM
::)

Yawn.... M50, Tolls, Traffic chaos, Bus Strikes......  ::)

Simple answer... Get a job somewhere else in the country.

Can make it to work in 5 minutes, toll free, down the country....  ;)

Congrats there on that. There is a reason for the quiet roads around Leitrim ! ;)

AhFeckRef

QuoteThere is a reason for the quiet roads around Leitrim !

LOL. And that is?

dodo

Quote from: AhFeckRef on November 18, 2007, 10:15:11 PM
QuoteThere is a reason for the quiet roads around Leitrim !

LOL. And that is?

a) not many vehicles
b) not many people
c) price of fuel
d) in the pubs
e) they're all on the M50

AhFeckRef

Quotea) not many vehicles
b) not many people
c) price of fuel
d) in the pubs
e) they're all on the M50

Exactly, so why not move west. Life's too short for all that stress!  ;D

http://www.lookwest.ie/index.php/less-time-in-the-car.php

saffron

Was listening to Newstalk this morning and the AA are saying that there would be ridiculous amounts of waste in collecting barrier free tolls - instead they suggest adding 2cents to fuel.

Seems pretty sensible to me but loads of people in Cork, Galway etc went ballistic saying they would never use it and why should they pay etc bla f**king bla - of course I wonder what they'd think if all taxes collected in Dublin were just spent in Dublin and vice versa - I'd be more than happy with that!

I pay tax for loads of things I dont use -  health care, child benefit spring to mind but I accept that these are necessary. So is sorting that balls up of a road.

Wasting 25 million collecting tolls is a waste - 2 cents on fuel is a much better plan. Of course I suppose that nearly guarantees it wont happen.

scalder

Saffron, living in Dublin but not being from Dublin I think means I can see the two sides to this, but you are right and not unlike the South East of England and the rest of the UK, Dublin subsidies the rest of the country I believe. Not a popular thing to say outside Dublin though. Whether we like it or not we all need a healthy Dublin, at the same time I'm not saying neglect the rest of Ireland.

Leo

I can think of no other European city where they have tolls on what are inner city roads.
Sure there are plenty of tolls out on the major motorways but no-one objects to paying them if they ease long journeys.
I have no problem with the tolls at Boyne or Enfield, but never mind the French I dont believe any other European nation would tolerate the anti-environment ant-people M50 toll.

Surely Fine Gael or Labour could take this up as a major election issue. Get rid of the toll completely on the M50.
The city centre traffic is another issue. It is too late now to introduce Park and ride as the land that was available for this 15 years ago is all built on and public transport is a joke, but I would put up with permit-only system (residents etc.) and hammer the rest of us with tehe congestion charge. Dublin might see less of us but the city and its inhabitants might be able to live.
Fierce tame altogether

Smiler An Dun

Any one know the full details of what happens when the barriers are lifted next month from the M50, especially for drivers from the north.  There was an article in last weeks Irish News and i felt it didn't explain the situation clearly.

For example, what about the occasional user who may only use the M50 maybe once (or twice a year) to go to the likes of Tullamore or Port Laoise  ;)  or those bringing their caravan for their fortnight in Kerry.  There are no benefits for them to register for an electronic tag.

I had read in the past that northern drivers would be exempt from paying the toll, is this true?

Tankie

Quote from: Smiler An Dun on July 22, 2008, 11:28:28 AM
Any one know the full details of what happens when the barriers are lifted next month from the M50, especially for drivers from the north.  There was an article in last weeks Irish News and i felt it didn't explain the situation clearly.

For example, what about the occasional user who may only use the M50 maybe once (or twice a year) to go to the likes of Tullamore or Port Laoise  ;)  or those bringing their caravan for their fortnight in Kerry.  There are no benefits for them to register for an electronic tag.

I had read in the past that northern drivers would be exempt from paying the toll, is this true?

No I dont think so, i think the driver is expected to pay withing the 24hrs or whatever just like every other car that is not reg. if the driver from the north does not pay nothing much can really ever be done unless the car is park illigally and get towed or is involved in an accident etc - then expect to pay alot more than the 2.50 at the toll bridge. - thaths what i heard the case was anyway

They have these types of brifges in other countries, i  wounder how they do it?
Grand Slam Saturday!