M50

Started by saffron, November 16, 2007, 08:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron

Apparently the NRA want to increase the toll on the M50 by 60% next year when they get rid of the toll bridge - how is this fair?? Thats over 3 euro or over 30 euro a week if you use it to get to and from work.

And if you get on before the toll bridge you pay full whack but if you get on a Red Cow, Tallaght etc you pay nothing just doesnt seem right..

I've never hated a road so much in my entire life.

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron on November 16, 2007, 08:53:40 AM
Apparently the NRA want to increase the toll on the M50 by 60% next year when they get rid of the toll bridge - how is this fair?? Thats over 3 euro or over 30 euro a week if you use it to get to and from work.

And if you get on before the toll bridge you pay full whack but if you get on a Red Cow, Tallaght etc you pay nothing just doesnt seem right..

I've never hated a road so much in my entire life.
In a democracy how is it possible for public servants to implement such changes?  Surely, their bosses should ensure that they implement the will of the people - it's simple, we elect politicians, let them do their job for once (of course they'll claim that there's nothing they can do, a study carried out by an independent review commission has discovered that €3 per journey is the only way that the M50 can remain open, and thus they've no choice).

Hardy

It's worse than that. We've been screwed not once, not twice, but three times.

1. We've been paying tolls to NTR for years for the privilege of sitting in a traffic jam waiting to pay.
2. The government decided to "fix" this and now we the taxpayers are paying NTR €600M to buy back the toll bridge. So that we don't have to pay tolls anymore? Sorry - we STILL pay he tolls. Now we've paid twice for the same thing.
3. Now we get to pay 60% on top because there's no regulation any more. I remember saying here when we talked about this before "watch the tolls go up now when it's not a private company having to apply for increases". It's depressing to be right.

We are a nation of sheep. Imagine what would happen if the French government tried to pull a stunt like that.

mannix

The fact that its impossible to get around dublin is one thing. Being raped by the government is another, tolls on the m50 are ridiculous, pay if it gets you there quicker for sure but how often does that happen?

The killer is its going to get worse.

The Real Laoislad

Its even worse when you drive a van..it costs me €3.30 as it is that means i'll have to pay over €5 if this hike is brought in  >:(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2007, 09:22:40 AM
It's worse than that. We've been screwed not once, not twice, but three times.

1. We've been paying tolls to NTR for years for the privilege of sitting in a traffic jam waiting to pay.
2. The government decided to "fix" this and now we the taxpayers are paying NTR €600M to buy back the toll bridge. So that we don't have to pay tolls anymore? Sorry - we STILL pay he tolls. Now we've paid twice for the same thing.
3. Now we get to pay 60% on top because there's no regulation any more. I remember saying here when we talked about this before "watch the tolls go up now when it's not a private company having to apply for increases". It's depressing to be right.

We are a nation of sheep. Imagine what would happen if the French government tried to pull a stunt like that.
Of the current 1.90 per (car) journey, 1.20 goes to the govt and that's before corporation tax on NTR profits.  
Imagine the outrage if it turned out that there were question marks over how NTR got the contract for the toll bridge in the first place?  But those payments to Lawlor, Redmond and Flynn were most likely for genuine consultancy!!

Billys Boots

QuoteWe are a nation of sheep. Imagine what would happen if the French government tried to pull a stunt like that.

There'd be a pile of sheep on the toll bridge.

Quotehow NTR got the contract

NTR, at its foundation, was composed of members of the board of CRH, remember, the same CRH board who composed of most of the significant Ansbacher accounts, and who all had Guinness & Mahon private bank accounts.  Ah no, we'd rather read about the McCanns.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

QuoteWe are a nation of sheep. Imagine what would happen if the French government tried to pull a stunt like that.

Wait till you want to get from Kells on the M3 to Bray and you'll be paying 3 tolls - 

QuoteNTR, at its foundation, was composed of members of the board of CRH, remember, the same CRH board who composed of most of the significant Ansbacher accounts, and who all had Guinness & Mahon private bank accounts.  Ah no, we'd rather read about the McCanns

Don't go trying to raise the level of political discussion now Billy - We've lads who just prefer to shout at each other ;)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Declan on November 16, 2007, 11:07:38 AM

Wait till you want to get from Kells on the M3 to Bray and you'll be paying 3 tolls -

Where's de toll plaza on de M3 gonna be and what's de third toll???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gnevin

Could be worse , we could be paying a congestion charge that makes no difference to the congestion .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Declan

A toll between Kells and Navan and then another one south of Dunshaughlin was what was origianlly mooted.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Declan on November 16, 2007, 11:31:40 AM

A toll between Kells and Navan and then another one south of Dunshaughlin was what was origianlly mooted.

There's gonna be 2 on the M3???  :o :o :o

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 16, 2007, 11:34:12 AM
Tolls are a fukin joke. I went to the RDS last weekend. €1.70 on the M1, €6 in the tunnel and then €1.45 on the eastlink. I came home through the city.

I don't mind paying them if they're value for money. Use the M4 when going home and that means I can do door to door in 50 mins. Used to take 2-3 hours on de bus in college. Although if I was using it everyday it propably would get on my tits...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gnevin

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 16, 2007, 11:34:12 AM
Tolls are a fukin joke. I went to the RDS last weekend. €1.70 on the M1, €6 in the tunnel and then €1.45 on the eastlink. I came home through the city.
The only way you could of picked a worst route is if you hit the m50 for a laugh.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I don't mind paying them if they're value for money. Use the M4 when going home and that means I can do door to door in 50 mins. Used to take 2-3 hours on de bus in college. Although if I was using it everyday it propably would get on my tits...
[/quote]

I agree with that. Recently we towed the caravan down to the Fleadh in Tullamore, (which incidentally was the best fleadh ever INHO) Motorway and high quality dual cariageway the entire way. Just took over 2 and a half hours from the outskirts of Tullamore to Newry. Had to pay 3 tolls in each direction but well worth it.

armaghniac

The toll will be €2 with an electronic tag, €3 without it. This is fair enough as it costs more to collect it and anyone using the road regularly will presumably get a tag. What they should have is €5 7:00 - 9:30 and 16:00-19:30 and €1 otherwise to balance out the traffic.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B