Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breakingball

Rossa beat ld today... both now on 2 points. So they have to play each other again on Tuesday night in a playoff to see who goes into the A competition. Laughable

breakingball

Agree. Dilutes the whole competition and at this time of your pitches, lights and weather arent great. Would avoid many of the problems we have already encountered in this competition so far.

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 06:25:01 PM
All championship should be knockout, save the hassle. Have a seeded draw to avoid 2 of the big guns meeting eachother in the 1st round. Seed teams based on their senior league position. Simple.

breakingball

No seeding. Open draw. Pure luck. Best team should still win it. Those knocked out in round 1 can go play for a shield or else dont have a shield.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 06:32:17 PM
All championship should be knockout, save the hassle. Have a seeded draw to avoid 2 of the big guns meeting eachother in the 1st round. Seed teams based on their senior league position. Simple.

How do you seed under 21? No league to gauge and form changes from one year to the next! Not simple enough

breakingball

Nonsense

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 06:40:02 PM

How do you seed under 21? No league to gauge and form changes from one year to the next! Not simple enough

As i said senior league position. 9/10 your gonna get a winner of the u21 cship based on a strong senior team. Cant think of any recent winners that have came from teams in the lower half of div2/3.

The amount of non fixtures in this years comp has been an embarrassment. Seeded draw along with straight knockout is the way it should be imo. Still have the a and b comps

Footblock

This farce from the CCC gets worse. As of today's game between LD and ODR, Naomh Eanna finished 2nd in the section on score difference even though we only played 1 game and yet we havent been awarded a place in the 'A' competition. To my astonishment I have just discovered that CCC are now making LD and ODR play again on Tuesday night at Jordanstown to see who goes forward to the A competition.
Honestly talk about winging it and making it up as you go along. Have the CCC no shame? They should be seriously embarrassed. We may not win the A championship as there are a number of good teams like Gall's, Dunloy, Creggan, Portglenone et al but we would like to be afforded the opportunity. So much for supporting Antrim's representatives in Ulster.
As for entering the B championship Farset can make all the snide comments he wants but without having spoken to our players I would say that they would have no inclination to enter any such competition not out of snobbery but out of respect for legitimate B clubs who would aspire to win this. By relegating us to the B competition the CCC have show massive disrespect to the sides in the B competition.

The gooch

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2018, 07:04:27 PM
The top teams don't look to be coming from any of the top senior teams at all though.Not fair at all.

The best you could do is from 3 years previous in the minor.

Creggan won the senior league and the team that beats them in the u21s will be the winner. Aghagallon, st galls, st brigids will be the 1s to compete with them, all div 1.

Look at the 6 previous years winners. Rossa-div 1. Aghagallon-div1. St johns x 3-div1. Pg1-div 1 or on the cusp of being promoted.

No disrespect to antirm town and st pauls, theyl not be winning it.

Only fair that geniune contenders ie creggan,galls are seeded. But again lads, just my opinion

Milltown Row2

As i said senior league position. 9/10 your gonna get a winner of the u21 cship based on a strong senior team. Cant think of any recent winners that have came from teams in the lower half of div2/3.

The amount of non fixtures in this years comp has been an embarrassment. Seeded draw along with straight knockout is the way it should be imo. Still have the a and b comps

Senior? More than half the lads at under 21 never play senior! You can't look at senior places. Open draw job done best team wins, if the best team knocks out the '2nd' best team in first round so be it, we got Cargin one year after losing All Ireland and got knocked out in first round! No complaints
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The gooch

Quote from: breakingball on November 24, 2018, 07:11:48 PM
No seeding. Open draw. Pure luck. Best team should still win it. Those knocked out in round 1 can go play for a shield or else dont have a shield.

Dont agree. For example Aghagallon could meet creggan. 2 geniune contenders while loser into b comp and romps it

imtommygunn

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:14:30 PM
The top teams don't look to be coming from any of the top senior teams at all though.Not fair at all.

Creggan won the senior league and the team that beats them in the u21s will be the winner. Aghagallon, st galls, st brigids will be the 1s to compete with them, all div 1.

Look at the 6 previous years winners. Rossa-div 1. Aghagallon-div1. St johns x 3-div1. Pg1-div 1 or on the cusp of being promoted.

Only fair that geniune contenders ie creggan,galls are seeded. But again lads, just my opinion

Did portglenone not draw with creggan so you would expect to do something.

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 07:17:19 PM

Senior? More than half the lads at under 21 never play senior! You can't look at senior places. Open draw job done best team wins, if the best team knocks out the '2nd' best team in first round so be it, we got Cargin one year after losing All Ireland and got knocked out in first round! No complaints

Really??? Take a look at creggan, aghagallon, r'town, st endas, dunloy. Senior teams full of u21s

The gooch

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2018, 07:20:39 PM
Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:14:30 PM

Did portglenone not draw with creggan so you would expect to do something.

Yeah defintly, just naming ones of the top of my head. Could easily beat Aghagallon tomorrow. But again as i said....div 1  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:21:12 PM

Really??? Take a look at creggan, aghagallon, r'town, st endas, dunloy. Senior teams full of u21s

Full of under 21's? How many 3/4? Certainly I can remember only ever getting 3 or 4 from minor or under 21 teams progressing to a senior team, probably different for lower placed senior teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 07:27:24 PM

Full of under 21's? How many 3/4? Certainly I can remember only ever getting 3 or 4 from minor or under 21 teams progressing to a senior team, probably different for lower placed senior teams

Jesus. St endas not have 10 u21 starters? Thought a man from the mighty st galls would know everything....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:30:52 PM

Jesus. St endas not have 10 u21 starters? Thought a man from the mighty st galls would know everything....

Intermediate football isn't my thing, so I'll bow to your knowledge..

The gooch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 07:35:50 PM
Quote from: The gooch on November 24, 2018, 07:30:52 PM

Intermediate football isn't my thing, so I'll bow to your knowledge..

By the looks of things, itl not be long til youl be following in your hurlers footsteps. Them old horses cant run forever you know!