Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Found it - thought I was going mad there for a while:

Injuries mount for Saffrons' 'must win' encounter
By Orla Bannon
03/02/99

Gaelic Games ANTRIM have several injury worries ahead of their division 2A game with London at Casement Park on Sunday. Goalkeeper Donard Shannon (pulled muscle), Gearoid Adams (shin splints) and Aidan Donnelly (hamstring) have all to prove fitness before the team is selected tomorrow evening. It is a game Antrim selector Brian Coyle assessed as a must win for the Saffrons. "It would be a disaster of the highest proportions if we lost to London," he said. "Two points is vital to us before we travel to Wicklow next week. We have to be careful of London and it is really a game we can't afford to lose." After a heavy defeat in Limerick just before the Christmas break, Coyle anticipates there will be several changes from that game. With over 30 players attending county training sessions these days, Coyle says the bond between the current crop of Antrim players has vastly improved. "The boys who have been around for a while say the atmosphere hasn't been better for over five years. "The enthusiasm is here, now all we have to do is get a few results. But people should remember we're building for the next two or three years, not just this year." With Kevin Madden the top scorer in the league and St Paul's forward John McManus also on top form, the optimistic Coyle believes the Antrim attack could show more potency this year. "Maurice Fitzgerald would have eaten his heart out at some of the points John McManus scored against St John's last Sunday. "It would be nice for Antrim to have several forwards who can score heavily."
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Yes, I remember that article now.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

You've lost me there NAG. Not sure what you're talking about.

Minder

So SS2 if someone does not hold the same opinion as you they are "sniping"? I dont think i have ever seen a newpaper report with a players "fortitude" or "balls" getting questioned.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Not sure what you mean either Minder, but it's getting more difficult to edit these posts and make them look like part of the original thread.

milltown row

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 10, 2008, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: Sonny Joe on December 10, 2008, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 10, 2008, 02:58:58 PM
Examples man. Give me an example to back up your point. Give me an example of an opponent of his who will say that he was cowed by intimidation. I could get other examples from newspapers to back up my point. Have you ever spoken to anyone who played alongside him?

I played both alongside and against him and would never have associated him with lacking any balls.

Easy to snipe away I suppose.

I played against him, so I'll give you an example, a 1st hand one. Didn't want to know. Under rated you say. IMO over rated massively, only by you!

Such an example isn't particularly useful. I was thinking more of specific dates, venues, opponents etc.

Quote from: Minder on December 10, 2008, 03:16:59 PM
So SS2 if someone does not hold the same opinion as you they are "sniping"? I dont think i have ever seen a newpaper report with a players "fortitude" or "balls" getting questioned.

No, my point is these boys are questioning someone's fortitude anonymously behind a computer keyboard. I am simply asking them to come up with specific examples to back up their case. Repeating something ad nauseum doesn't make it any more valid, providing specific evidence will. The newspaper report could easily have said that the switch of Logan worked and left it at that. People could have drawn their own conclusions. That someone with Logan's approach to the game was unable to have any impact on McManus's performance would tell you what? I have my own opinion on what it tells me.

Interestingly too those from milltown row's club who I have spoken too would also take McManus's fortitude over at least one of the three who questioned it on this thread.

Your are obvisously eating too many jammy dodgers over lunch with your "mates" from my club ;) as for you post about using pseudonyms and hiding behind computers. well you have a cheek. i'm not going to search through your many posts, but you also have questioned many a person whilst hiding behind the computer.

what was it i was implying? i said he was lacking something, it was you that said he lacked balls. you have also listed people on various threads with your opinion of their abilities.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on December 10, 2008, 05:52:26 PM
Your are obvisously eating too many jammy dodgers over lunch with your "mates" from my club ;) as for you post about using pseudonyms and hiding behind computers. well you have a cheek. i'm not going to search through your many posts, but you also have questioned many a person whilst hiding behind the computer.

what was it i was implying? i said he was lacking something, it was you that said he lacked balls. you have also listed people on various threads with your opinion of their abilities.

Never eaten a Jammie Dodger in my life, by the time I make it to the staff room McGourty and Buchanan has consumed them all.

No cheek in me complaining about using pseudonyms. There is nothing I have said on this board that I wouldn't repeat to the person I said it about. Off the top of my head I have criticised Dr. McSparran, Jody Gormley and Liam Baker Bradley. Any time I have criticised anyone, I have backed the criticism with what I felt was reasonable evidence. Often I have received PMs agreeing with my position from others who do not want to make the same point in public. Many, many posters on the board know who I am. You know where I work (I told you), there is only a finite list of possibilities. You'll get there eventually.

I have asked you what you were implying. Others appear to have taken the same implication, but I am happy in the knowledge that the two more knowledgeable football posters on the thread didn't feel the need to agree with you.

Shocking grammar, by the way. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 11, 2008, 01:44:55 PM

Never eaten a Jammie Dodger in my life, by the time I make it to the staff room McGourty and Buchanan has consumed them all.

No cheek in me complaining about using pseudonyms. There is nothing I have said on this board that I wouldn't repeat to the person I said it about. Off the top of my head I have criticised Dr. McSparran, Jody Gormley and Liam Baker Bradley. Any time I have criticised anyone, I have backed the criticism with what I felt was reasonable evidence. Often I have received PMs agreeing with my position from others who do not want to make the same point in public. Many, many posters on the board know who I am. You know where I work (I told you), there is only a finite list of possibilities. You'll get there eventually.

I have asked you what you were implying. Others appear to have taken the same implication, but I am happy in the knowledge that the two more knowledgeable football posters on the thread didn't feel the need to agree with you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
...cast yer mind back !

saffron sam2

Lynchbhoy excepted obviously.

NAG

SS2 - I am not getting at you or the player in question I am giving my opinion on a player that I played against and watched for many years.

So no need to get all defensive you cant be right on all of them!  ;)

saffron sam2

So did you get the PM?

Never claimed to be right on all them. Have been spectacularly wrong in the past and will be again in the future.

NAG

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 11, 2008, 02:25:18 PM
So did you get the PM?

Never claimed to be right on all them. Have been spectacularly wrong in the past and will be again in the future.
the truest thing you have wrote on hear evir !
;)

milltown row

Your are obviously eating too many Cammy dodgers over lunch with your "mates" from my club ;) as for you post about using pseudonyms and hiding behind computers. well you have a cheek. i'm not going to search through your many posts, but you also have questioned many a person whilst hiding behind the computer.

my gremmer dosnt pay for my wages, techers falided me, techers like ya ;)  i have been outed on this board and Stevie wonder could read through my posts and work out who i am. so you weren't getting at me about hidding behind computers. as for you telling these people what you think then i look forward to hearing you speak up at the next county convention. as for knowing you, well my son done his work experience in your work. and your mates at my club talk.

explain the knowledge criteria? i was unaware of a class system in place. i played senior football when i was 18, does that mean i don't meet the criteria, i decided after a year that i preferred
hurling and just played reserve football, and still do. let me and the rest of the posters know of the special criteria needed for posting about football

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on December 11, 2008, 06:46:56 PM
Your are obviously eating too many Cammy dodgers over lunch with your "mates" from my club ;) as for you post about using pseudonyms and hiding behind computers. well you have a cheek. i'm not going to search through your many posts, but you also have questioned many a person whilst hiding behind the computer.

my gremmer dosnt pay for my wages, techers falided me, techers like ya ;)  i have been outed on this board and Stevie wonder could read through my posts and work out who i am. so you weren't getting at me about hidding behind computers. as for you telling these people what you think then i look forward to hearing you speak up at the next county convention. as for knowing you, well my son done his work experience in your work. and your mates at my club talk.

explain the knowledge criteria? i was unaware of a class system in place. i played senior football when i was 18, does that mean i don't meet the criteria, i decided after a year that i preferred
hurling and just played reserve football, and still do. let me and the rest of the posters know of the special criteria needed for posting about football

You would think in your job that basic grammar would be essential.

I know your son did his work experience in our school. I even started a thread to help him.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5722.0

I don't have any mates in your club, simply work colleagues. I tolerate them and them tolerate me on the face of it anyway. Particularly the older one. You only see him when he's looking something. Anyway the young buck, McCaff and myself can discuss you on our wee weekend away tomorrow.

As for the knowledge thing. It would appear that both bannside's and tommygunn's main interest is in football, whereas yours and NAG's is in hurling.  I would trust your or NAG's judgement on hurling before bannside's or tommygunn's. Nothing to be getting to het up about.