prods in the 26

Started by lawnseed, December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Just been reading gramham nortons bit about growing up a prod in cork. Not great it seems he felt lonely. This is very difficult to understand for me since I always found the cork people the friendliest people on the island. I think if I had to move I'd head to cork especially the west of the county where nortons from.
This makes me think what is it like for prods in the 26? Is there ill feeling? Are they isolated? Maybe not quite as irish as their catholic countrymen? Are we on this island so fukd up that this really matters almost 100years after independance?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:19:19 PM
Just been reading gramham norton bit about growing up a prod in cork. Not great it seems he felt lonely. This is very difficult to understand for me since I always found the cork people the friendliest people on the island. I think if I had to move I head to cork especially the west of the county where nortons from.
This makes me think what is it like for prods in the 26? Is there ill feeling? Are they isolated? Maybe not quite as irish as their catholic countrymen? Are we on this island so fukd up that this really matters almost 100years after independance?
You mean what passes for independence?

lawnseed

O
Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 21, 2013, 06:25:18 PM
Just been reading gramham norton bit about growing up a prod in cork. Not great it seems he felt lonely. This is very difficult to understand for me since I always found the cork people the friendliest people on the island. I think if I had to move I head to cork especially the west of the county where nortons from.
Lets not turn this into another sinn fein thread. I understand the prods have started a dating website so they can meet other prods this is very disappointing. Is it that bad?

BennyCake

Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:39:56 PM
O
Lets not turn this into another sinn fein thread. I understand the prods have started a dating website so they can meet other prods this is very disappointing. Is it that bad?

Plenty of Prods?

lawnseed

Check out skinflick blog 'the irish of protestantness' good article

lawnseed

Quote from: BennyCake on December 21, 2013, 06:55:41 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on December 21, 2013, 06:39:56 PM
O

Plenty of Prods?
Two ways of looking at this
1. The catholics deliberatly isolate the prods and dont want anything to do with them
Or 2. The prods dont want any to do with their catholic neighbours and would rather look for a partner maybe hundreds of miles away and religion is the reason.

Either way its not good

Cold tea

Yeah he felt isolated because he was a prod!!!  :o

armaghniac

Any immigrant community determined not to marry the natives is trouble for society, be they Anglos, Pakistanis or Chinese.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Perhaps perception more than reality,and perception was a large part of the nationalist/catholic narrative in the North,although discrimination,gerrymandering and bigotry levels were significant

anglocelt39

think this thread might have been relevant in the pre internet era myself. Most Catholics in the "south" these days give very little heed to being catholics themselves so are hardly going to get wound up  about whether the other fellas is a prod or something else. there's always the odd nut job of course
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

theskull1

In 100 years white South Africans will feel the same way.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Lar Naparka

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 21, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
think this thread might have been relevant in the pre internet era myself. Most Catholics in the "south" these days give very little heed to being catholics themselves so are hardly going to get wound up  about whether the other fellas is a prod or something else. there's always the odd nut job of course
I was at two funerals up your way in the recent past; one was in Bawnboy and the other in Carrigallen. One of the deceased was a Catholic and the other a prod.
But in both cases the neighbours put on a buffet in the local hall. Religion didn't come into it. Every single thing was donated and prepared by members of the local community.
The local priest turned up at the protestant funeral and the parson or whatever you call him, was at the catholic one.
There wasn't a hint of religious animosity as everyone closed ranks to pay their respects to the dead and to give support to their families.
I haven't come across the likes anywhere else but I do think religious barriers are breaking down everywhere across the country. I know there are elements in both communities who don't move with the spirit of the times but their numbers are decreasing.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bensars

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2013, 07:47:18 PM
Any immigrant community determined not to marry the natives is trouble for society, be they Anglos, Pakistanis or Chinese.

They are not immigrant though !

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 22, 2013, 01:15:43 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 21, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
I was at two funerals up your way in the recent past; one was in Bawnboy and the other in Carrigallen. One of the deceased was a Catholic and the other a prod.
But in both cases the neighbours put on a buffet in the local hall. Religion didn't come into it. Every single thing was donated and prepared by members of the local community.
The local priest turned up at the protestant funeral and the parson or whatever you call him, was at the catholic one.
There wasn't a hint of religious animosity as everyone closed ranks to pay their respects to the dead and to give support to their families.
I haven't come across the likes anywhere else but I do think religious barriers are breaking down everywhere across the country. I know there are elements in both communities who don't move with the spirit of the times but their numbers are decreasing.

I think most of the animosity in the south went out two generations ago in the majority of cases. I know from speaking to my own protestant friends in cavan they would feel they have very little in common with the unionists in the North although they some would privately admit having a bit of gra for the royal family and british tradition. I think they would also see that due to the fact they are a small community they are likely to get smaller due to cross marriage. Interestingly I've seen families that were staunch on either side now watch their kids marry into the other side. I'm sure the 6 counties will follow suit in another 250 years

armaghniac

QuoteI'm sure the 6 counties will follow suit in another 250 years

In places like Cavan relations may never have been so bad as in places further North and in many cases extremist Orange families moved to the North. Probably things will improve, lets hope in less than 250 years, but some places have some way to do. Thirty years ago Rev Armstrong was run out of Limavady for crossing the street at Christmas and 25 years later the DUP opposed his being given the freedom of Limavady.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B