All-Ireland Gold question

Started by Over the Bar, March 07, 2007, 11:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Does the series follow any particular order chronological or otherwise or does it just alternate between random football & hurling games?  I've been on the lookout for the 95 football AIF on it.  Maybe they just don't show the dire finals?

Godsown

Not a question but was searching to see if anyone had posted on this.
Just watched a recently aired game: All Ireland Football Final of 1980. Kerry v Roscommon. Some brutal football, brutal refereeing and dodgy commentating. Highlight for me was Pat Spillane getting a smack in the gob with Micéal O,Hare stating that Spillane had a reputation for play acting ! And he would have the cheek to comment on teams today! Having said that there were some talented individuals on show like Jack O'Shea Seán Walsh mikey Sheehy, Tim Kinnealy, Harry Keegan, Donnellan John O'Connor and Early

From the Bunker

Quote from: Godsown on July 27, 2019, 01:19:34 AM
Just watched a recently aired game: All Ireland Football Final of 1980. Kerry v Roscommon. Some brutal football, brutal refereeing and dodgy commentating. Highlight for me was Pat Spillane getting a smack in the gob with Micéal O,Hare stating that Spillane had a reputation for play acting ! And he would have the cheek to comment on teams today! Having said that there were some talented individuals on show like Jack O'Shea Seán Walsh mikey Sheehy, Tim Kinnealy, Harry Keegan, Donnellan John O'Connor and Early

Seen that, the game was played on a damp wet day. A very poor game of football. Strange sort of atmosphere. michael o'hehir's commentary very agenda based. Not sure if a commentator would be away with it today. He had a plethora of phrases and punchlines that he repeatedly said. He'd be so out of his dept today. Referee looked like he was making it up as he went along.

The Spillane incident was embarrassing. Remember Spillane always had these ''I'm going to die'' moments in a tough hard game.

It hard to believe how much the free from the ground slowed the game down in those days.

Mikey Sheehy was the man who dragged Kerry over the line that day.

sid waddell

One of the worst games of Gaelic football ever played

Lads could barely kick the ball back then

The game then consisted of a load of throws to try and get in position to throw the ball into the net

The current Dublin team would beat that Kerry team by 40 points

Old Gaelic football was rubbish

Cunny Funt

Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2019, 11:24:38 AM
One of the worst games of Gaelic football ever played

Lads could barely kick the ball back then

The game then consisted of a load of throws to try and get in position to throw the ball into the net

The current Dublin team would beat that Kerry team by 40 points

Old Gaelic football was rubbish

No better or worse than the hyped up 2015 AI final which was also played damp wet day. Current Dublin team v that Kerry team with lads in their 60s now would be a mis-match alright.

imtommygunn

They weren't basically professionals(same goes for any team)and sure what training would have went in relative to now. Sports science, nutrition, statistics, analysis etc much more advanced. Back room teams are at 20 for some teams these days - much smaller those days. It's basically a different game now.

Kerry were the best in those times. If those Kerry players played within the parameters of football these days they would be a different team too and there's nothing to say they wouldn't put it up to Dublin - to be honest it's all hypothetical. To say one team would win by 40 points is probably about as relevant as saying cars in the 1970s were slower than cars these days.

SpeculativeEffort

Taking All Ireland Gold as a guide then football in the 2040's will make todays football look rubbish. With this knowledge, is there any point in playing now?

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2019, 02:21:03 PM
They weren't basically professionals(same goes for any team)and sure what training would have went in relative to now. Sports science, nutrition, statistics, analysis etc much more advanced. Back room teams are at 20 for some teams these days - much smaller those days. It's basically a different game now.

Kerry were the best in those times. If those Kerry players played within the parameters of football these days they would be a different team too and there's nothing to say they wouldn't put it up to Dublin - to be honest it's all hypothetical. To say one team would win by 40 points is probably about as relevant as saying cars in the 1970s were slower than cars these days.

+1. Beggars belief that it needs to be explained to some people still.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2019, 05:20:03 PM
Yeah, the sport science wasn't about then but there's no excuse for the full back getting out in front only to half volley the fcukin thing over the sideline.
They kicked the ball a lot more back then but the standard of kick passing was extremely poor. Ball was just given away time after time.

All Ireland Gold is the enemy of nostalgia.

Mantra these days don't give the ball away. Mantra those days get the ball out of and into the danger areas ASAP. Drop kicking it out of play in that scenario doesn't necessarily make you a bad kick passer. Also less kick passing these days but way more training of kick passing I suspect.

It's just a game played under hugely different parameters so basically impossible to compare.

BennyCake

Fisted goals were an abomination then. The same as fisted  points are an abomination today.

From the Bunker

Kerry played three games to win that AI! They got a bye that year to the Munster Final!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2019, 05:36:42 PM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 27, 2019, 05:29:08 PM
Taking All Ireland Gold as a guide then football in the 2040's will make todays football look rubbish. With this knowledge, is there any point in playing now?
Yes, I long for the day that I can yap that football was much better in 2019. Regale the younger generation of how Tiernan McCann and the likes were real men unlike these pansies nowadays. I deserve a day like that.

;D

Agree with the sentiments about 'Football Gold'. Recall watching the 1977 Final and Dublin were absolutely rubbish...and they hammered us by 12 points, so you can guess what Armagh were like!!   :'(  It was reinforced to me recently when I watched ten or so minutes of our opening round defeat to Cavan in 1978. I was at that game but that was the first time since that day that I had seen any of the match. It was absolutely dreadful.

By the way, with reference to referees, check out the free that Seamus Aldridge awarded against Paddy Cullen in the '78 Final and from which Mike Sheehy chipped Kerry's second goal. The decision beggars belief.

IolarCoisCuain

Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. There's no real talking to them.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 28, 2019, 01:05:52 AM
Yes, I long for the day that I can yap that football was much better in 2019. Regale the younger generation of how Tiernan McCann and the likes were real men unlike these pansies nowadays. I deserve a day like that.

;D

Agree with the sentiments about 'Football Gold'. Recall watching the 1977 Final and Dublin were absolutely rubbish...and they hammered us by 12 points, so you can guess what Armagh were like!!   :'(  It was reinforced to me recently when I watched ten or so minutes of our opening round defeat to Cavan in 1978. I was at that game but that was the first time since that day that I had seen any of the match. It was absolutely dreadful.

By the way, with reference to referees, check out the free that Seamus Aldridge awarded against Paddy Cullen in the '78 Final and from which Mike Sheehy chipped Kerry's second goal. The decision beggars belief.

Please don't ever mention that again, every time I see it I break out in a cold sweat and the temper rises in me. I can clearly remember watching it on the tv in our house in Coolock. I think it was the first time I ever cursed in front of my parents!!

mup

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 28, 2019, 01:05:52 AM

;D

He'll be forever revered in Kildare after that decision. There is a statue of him in Naas with veni, vidi, vici written on its plinth.  :D