Stand Up and Fight: When Munster Beat the All Blacks

Started by AZOffaly, June 06, 2007, 09:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Lads, did any of you ever read this book by Alan English? Picked it up in paperback over the weekend and it is a great read. It brings out the characters really well, the background and the atmosphere.

It also doesn't shy away from some of the negative stuff, and the paranoia that gripped Limerick Rugby especially at that time. (Maybe paranois is the wrong word).

Excellent first person accounts from Ginger McLoughlin, Donal Canniffe, Brendan Foley and a host of other participants on the day.

Genuinely one of the better sports books I've read. Far better than either of the accounts of the Heineiken Cup win.

Kerry Mike

Read it when it came out about 2 years ago I think, was a cracking read, some funny stuff in there.

Moss Keane's book is worth the read as well.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Gnevin

Jesus the English go on about 66 less than Munster lads talk about this
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Declan

QuoteJesus the English go on about 66 less than Munster lads talk about this

:D True enough

AZOffaly

Just like Leinster go on and on about, emm, errr.. well ok they don't have much to go on about, but if they *had*........

Lads, the thread is about the book. It's genuinely very interesting.

No1

Read it last summer, fantastic.  

I have very little interest or knowledge of rugby but it is one of the best sporting books I have ever read.