Great Irish Sporting Myths

Started by Baile BrigĂ­n 2, July 16, 2020, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyCake on July 19, 2020, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2020, 10:00:35 AM
Armagh in 2002 were a team of gaelic footballers.

You don't win All Ireland's kicking dumbbells over the bar.

That's another myth.....they were big into the rowing machines though.

seafoid

Top GAA players are amateurs
League of Ireland players are professionals

lurganblue

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 19, 2020, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on July 18, 2020, 08:41:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2020, 04:07:32 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 18, 2020, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on July 18, 2020, 01:44:48 PM
Quote from: naka on July 18, 2020, 11:09:01 AM
Tbf every club is the same, so short sighted.
My young fellow quit at 15 fed up  wasting his time and he wasn't a bad footballer.
Reality is same 16/17 played week in week out for 6 years
Club came to him last week as they are now struggling for numbers in his age group
I let him decide.
He told them where to go.
That's bitter sweet.  An awful lot could be learned from that tale.

It could, but is there a range of people stepping forward to manage the Go games?

Loads would do it. I have done it. But some of the shit that goes on would make you throw up.

I got a shit load of abuse refereeing a game at our under 8 blitz last year. Apparently I didn't blow up a player for taking 2 touches in a move that led to a score. I made the losing team go home very unhappy according to the coach. I apologised saying its just a bit of fun sure,  a run out for them. Not according to coach. His team had a good chance of winning the shield says he. Anyway.

At under EIGHTS?! Are you serious? Must make the other half promise to not let me turn into one of these people when we've kids that age.

Ah it can be nuts at times.  Banning the parents entering the field last year was a great step but some coaches are of course over the top too.  I would have to say in my experience that is the exception rather than the rule.  Most are just Gaels trying to do their best for their club.

Itchy

Without naming names, I came up against a former inter county manager who was coaching a team of U10s against my team last year. This guy was relatively successful as an intercounty manager but personally I had never met him before. He turned out to be a lunatic. Roaring abuse at the ref, got sent off, refused to leave the pitch, called his team off the field and threatened to forfeit the game such was his rage. Then we played on, he proceeded to abuse the ref from the stand. His own club parents were mortified but because he was who he was they were afraid to say anything. After the game he went up to the ref, in his face and told him he was the shittest ref he ever met, demanded his name so he could check he was really a referree. Without doubt the biggest clown I ever came across at an underage game. Thank god a rarity.

Feckitt

Ah go on, just fecking tell us who it was

quit yo jibbajabba

I witnessed an All Ireland winner as a player play with an extra man during an u10 tourno. In the 2nd half as they were well behind. Couldve been an accident but coupled with the abuse he was giving a (very) young ref i would have my doubts....

BennyCake

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 20, 2020, 10:48:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 19, 2020, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2020, 10:00:35 AM
Armagh in 2002 were a team of gaelic footballers.

You don't win All Ireland's kicking dumbbells over the bar.

That's another myth.....they were big into the rowing machines though.

Fair enough... you don't win All Ireland's kicking rowing machines over the bar.