Just a heads up on cheap UK to Ireland rail fares

Started by snatter, January 19, 2012, 09:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

I just stumbled across this enthusiast's guide to buying cheap UK to Ireland rail fares.
I thought I might be useful to quite a few given that its getting harder to find cheap air fares now.  One to bookmark and share.

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm#Fares

Fair play to the author for having written up this guide

Fed up with flying?  More volcanic ash on its way?  It's time to swap stressful flights or cramped coaches on eyesore motorways for a relaxed train ride through the English countryside and along the beautiful Welsh coast, then by luxurious superferry across the Irish Sea, see the journey in pictures below.  £38 (€40), any day, any date, buys you a 'SailRail' train & ferry ticket from London or any rail station in Britain to Dublin (plus a small fee for online booking).  It's the traditional way to reach Ireland, an environmentally-friendly alternative to a flight which can reduce your CO2 emission by up to 73%.  In fact, you can buy a SailRail ticket between any station in Britain and any station in Ireland, one-way or return in either direction, at these amazingly cheap prices, covering train travel to the port, the ferry to Ireland & onward trains in Ireland, all on one ticket.  Just use the online booking form on the right.  If you live in Ireland, you can buy SailRail tickets to any rail station in Britain online at www.irishferries.com.  Bring a bottle of your favourite wine along (try doing that on Ryanair), sit back with a good book and enjoy the ride...

London to Dublin for £38 or €40...
London to Cork, Limerick, Waterford,
Sligo, Tralee, Galway for £55.50 or €60
Fixed price, any day, any date, one-way in either direction, train & ferry all on one ticket, no baggage fees or weight limits, no airport taxes, no costly train fare to the airport, children under 5 go free, under 16's half price.  From any other rail station in Britain it's the same or less:

Manchester or Liverpool to Dublin = £33
York, Leeds, Birmingham or Hull to Dublin = £34
Oxford, Cardiff or Little Kimble to Cork or Galway = £53.50
Little where???  Exactly. Any station in Britain to any station in Ireland. Even Little Kimble.
Book by 18:00 day before travel, a small fee applies to online bookings.  Fast ferry +£5

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm#Fares

Denn Forever

Looks to be good value especially if time wasn't too pressing.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Sandino

Excellent website, first class for getting information on trains around most parts of Europe.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

ludermor

the rail/sail option was taken by a lot of people this xmas especially after the flight cancellations last year. it is seriously good value considering a train from london to manchester will cost 60-70 one way if you dont book in advance.

mannix

Uk to Ireland train? Do you have to supply your own scuba gear?

ludermor

You would look stupid on a train wearing scubagear...

mannix