The GAA Rat Race

Started by DennistheMenace, November 28, 2014, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: INDIANA on December 02, 2014, 02:13:22 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on December 02, 2014, 01:49:57 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 02, 2014, 11:37:09 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on December 02, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
My club, who are senior, are doing a wee weights programme over the winter, no biggie. The training demands havent changed that much over the past few years as far as I can see. Players are maybe expected to get time off work for a thurs/fri night championship match and maybe a training weekend once or twice a year but in general they don't train more often or more intensively than they did before. there 's always some eejit who will be wanting to do a 6am session 3 times a week but sure....

The type of training has changed as well to reflect the changing physical aspect of the game but to say that the workload is more intense, well i don't know about that. It's more focussed certainly but running for miles uphill in a few inches of shite, trailing a big tyre, wasnt exactly easy. It might well have been the completely wrong thing to do but it was as hard, if not harder and a lot more tiring, as any training todays players do, and I know this for a fact as Ive done both types.

Every generation of players thinks they're better/harder/faster/more skillful/more committed/better trained/smarter than the ones preceding it, and as they say, paper never refused ink. I would hazard that there are similar articles like this written in every decade since Gaelic football/hurling started.

1. The current generation are the best athletes to play the game. That's a statistical fact.

2. The speed of the game is unparalleled .

3. It takes longer to recover from a match .

4. If a player plays for a number of teams and had to train with all of them he burns out very quickly

It's very simple.

5. The current structure is unsustainable

and comparing it to non weight bearing sports, amateur runners or otherwise really is bizarre.

The evidence I have offered is anecdotal, and I haven't claimed anything different. 

You on the other hand are making grand pronouncements, [as indeed have many other commentators such as the author of the piece that inspired this thread], and then proclaiming them as fact!!!

Can you provide one single piece of empirical evidence to back up any of the statements you have made above???  [not that I disagree with everything you have said.]
Empirical evidence of ?

I've numbered them 1-5 above.

Down Follower

Quote from: INDIANA on December 02, 2014, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: Down Follower on December 02, 2014, 10:10:39 AM
How often would an amateur swimmer train and what hours would they train?
How often would an amateur runner train and for how long?
How often does a gym monkey spend in the gym every week?

Any of the above would likely see more time than a GAA player.  The difference comes when you are told when and where you must train.  A GAA player could do 6 days a week no problem if it meant being able to do it at your own time of the day, in your own gym or field. As a team game though it simply has to take place mostly within the team environment. In that instance, 6 days a week becomes unworkable for an amateur.

I read these posts and I just yawn ........
Swimming is a non weight bearing exercise comparing it to GAA is like comparing tag rugby to professional rugby.
Load factor !

Talk about missing the point!!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bingo on December 02, 2014, 11:48:06 AM
Indiana,

I think the point on the individual, amateur sports people is valid to a certain extent. They enjoy the flexibility in their training that a team or GAA player won't.
While a lot do train collectively, its not the be all and end all if they don't and many often don't.

This gives them far less mental pressure to fit all in round collective sessions. A swimmer or runner, can push a session out by a hour to fuel himself or to fit a family event in or if he has to work late. A GAA player won't have this luxury.

A swimmer, weightlifter or runner will know months and months in advance what races they will be doing and can plan accordingly, peaking when they have to. A club player mightn't know when the next match is or that if he starts training in January when the championship will be.

Exactly, the flexibilty of individual training as  opposed to training in  a team environment definatly magnify the effort needed.( although training collectivly can have a positive effect from a  motivational point of view)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Whats the story with the training ban?
I thought counties were banned from training in November & december?

Do they not bother with that rule or is it just unenforceable?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

DennistheMenace

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 03, 2014, 12:26:31 PM

I believe the ban is on collective training, ways and means around that and it's no more than a token gesture. Sure some Counties will be playing challenge games soon.

illdecide

I thought it was changed and it was based on when you were put out of the Championship? So first team out of Championship are allowed back now but Kerry and Donegal are still to wait
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 03, 2014, 12:26:31 PM

If you were knocked out of the Championship early enough you're allowed to start back in November!

blewuporstuffed

Renowned fitness coach Mike McGurn says high-level GAA players are making too many sacrifices.

McGurn is currently involved with the Antrim senior set-up but has previously worked in a variety of sports, including soccer, rugby and boxing, told the Irish News there is too much focus on abstinence in the GAA.

There has to be a balance. There is too much made of this abstinence and this priest-like existence. There has to be balance because you've only one life.

He contended that players in both rugby league and rugby union – two sports in which he worked – had a better balance. They worked like crazy but they knew how to enjoy themselves.

There is too much abstinence in the GAA compared to other sports – and I'm not just talking about drink. I'm talking about nights out and going to restaurants and going on  a holiday. Paul O'Connell wouldn't have survived until 35 without having time off.

The argument he makes is almost diametrically opposed to that put forward by Stephen Hunt at the weekend who indicated that GAA players were not near as monkish in their discipline as those involved in English football.

Bensars

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 04, 2014, 11:10:41 AM
Renowned fitness coach Mike McGurn says high-level GAA players are making too many sacrifices.

McGurn is currently involved with the Antrim senior set-up but has previously worked in a variety of sports, including soccer, rugby and boxing, told the Irish News there is too much focus on abstinence in the GAA.

There has to be a balance. There is too much made of this abstinence and this priest-like existence. There has to be balance because you’ve only one life.

He contended that players in both rugby league and rugby union – two sports in which he worked – had a better balance. They worked like crazy but they knew how to enjoy themselves.

There is too much abstinence in the GAA compared to other sports – and I’m not just talking about drink. I’m talking about nights out and going to restaurants and going on  a holiday. Paul O’Connell wouldn’t have survived until 35 without having time off.

The argument he makes is almost diametrically opposed to that put forward by Stephen Hunt at the weekend who indicated that GAA players were not near as monkish in their discipline as those involved in English football.

Refreshing to see some common sense being quoted.

illdecide

Quote from: Bensars on December 04, 2014, 12:28:55 PM

There has to be a balance. There is too much made of this abstinence and this priest-like existence. There has to be balance because you've only one life.

There is too much abstinence in the GAA compared to other sports – and I'm not just talking about drink. I'm talking about nights out and going to restaurants and going on  a holiday. Paul O'Connell wouldn't have survived until 35 without having time off.

Yeah it probably is common sense but I'd say based on previous experience that Mike's more worried about the money he's fleecing of the GAA clubs and County Boards than players being tired ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Quote from: illdecide on December 04, 2014, 12:51:02 PM

Yeah it probably is common sense but I'd say based on previous experience that Mike's more worried about the money he's fleecing of the GAA clubs and County Boards than players being tired ::)

Antrim are only doing 2 sessions a week and the country lads don't even have to travel to the city- they do the gym sessions at home.

Refreshing to see a bit of common sense here instead of the madness in other counties. Antrim will be peaking at the right time.

theticklemister

Quote from: orangeman on December 04, 2014, 09:45:12 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 04, 2014, 12:51:02 PM

Antrim are only doing 2 sessions a week and the country lads don't even have to travel to the city- they do the gym sessions at home.

Refreshing to see a bit of common sense here instead of the madness in other counties. Antrim will be peaking at the right time.

f**k if that's the case maybe Antrim you do the opposite and train like dogs!

When do Antrim peak by the way?

ONeill

In and around The Auld Lammas Fair
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

ClubRossie had Mick O'Dwyer as special guest at the annual awards do last weekend ( hope the annual sub doesn't have to go up too much next year  ;)).
He doesn't believe in all this modern training at all " Run the daylights out of players and get them fit, and their confidence will grow with their fitness". He bemoans all the injuries nowadays caused by " this running today around bollards and these sticks, kippins as I call them is causing it. It would sicken you". Also "I'm not into this tactics - tactics here, gyms there, physiotherapists, doctors,...."
He did make one good point anyway - "You have to keep training with the ball.... for God's sake don't go outside the door without a ball in your hand"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2014, 11:17:35 AM
ClubRossie had Mick O'Dwyer as special guest at the annual awards do last weekend ( hope the annual sub doesn't have to go up too much next year  ;)).
He doesn't believe in all this modern training at all " Run the daylights out of players and get them fit, and their confidence will grow with their fitness". He bemoans all the injuries nowadays caused by " this running today around bollards and these sticks, kippins as I call them is causing it. It would sicken you". Also "I'm not into this tactics - tactics here, gyms there, physiotherapists, doctors,...."
He did make one good point anyway - "You have to keep training with the ball.... for God's sake don't go outside the door without a ball in your hand"
I heard the same at another dinner dance recently, a former great bemoaning the current training methods

The problem is, if they were in their prime and playing or managing a team in the current climate they'd be doing the same themselves. Every manager tries to get an edge or advantage from the latest fad.

And Micko is ignoring the scientific evidence which says that short intense sprint work is far better for fitness than endless running.
A good investment for any player would be a football, and kick it off a wall at every opportunity