Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

It's remarkable the number of people who follow a sport but still cannot understand the rules. You can disagree with them, but not understanding them is just stupid.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SHEEDY

Quote from: J70 on February 20, 2021, 07:59:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2021, 07:56:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 20, 2021, 07:46:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2021, 07:41:17 PM
Let's not let the penalty be the reason they lost. Some blaming the wind WTF! It was blowing for both teams I'd imagine.

Is anyone blaming the penalty? At least here?

You can think the penalty award was stupid at the same time as admitting Everton deserved it due to Liverpool's toothlessness up front.

The penalty was correct, the law may be wrong but these players know the rules and consequences that follow, there would be an acceptance from the Liverpool support had same decision went for them.

I'd be more concerned with what's happening on the training ground

I look forward to hearing the logic the PL will put out this week on the penalty, assuming they defend it.
its a clear penalty, trent stops calvert lewin having a tap in, whether its deliberate or not is irrelevant.
nil satis nisi optimum

GiveItToTheShooters

Clear penalty ;D ;D he runs over the top of TAA and falls over. Getting to the stage now where you're not even surprised that these are the types of wrong decisions going against Liverpool, a weekly basis now.

imtommygunn

Great result for West Ham.

J70

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 21, 2021, 12:17:51 AM
Let's not let the penalty be the reason they lost. Some blaming the wind WTF! It was blowing for both teams I'd imagine.

You can think the penalty award was stupid at the same time as admitting Everton deserved it due to Liverpool's toothlessness up front.

The penalty was correct, the law may be wrong but these players know the rules and consequences that follow, there would be an acceptance from the Liverpool support had same decision went for them.

I look forward to hearing the logic the PL will put out this week on the penalty, assuming they defend it.
its a clear penalty, trent stops calvert lewin having a tap in, whether its deliberate or not is irrelevant.

So the offense was that TAA was occupying space between Calvert-Lewin and the ball? Had Allison held on to the ball or put it out for a corner, no penalty?

They need to seriously look at the people coming up with these rules.

I wonder where the foul started? Was it the back of Trent's head "fouling" Calvert-Lewin's knee?

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2021, 03:13:21 PM
Great result for West Ham.
Absolutely flying it. Would be the story of the season if they hold on to get Top 4.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2021, 04:55:37 PM

So the offense was that TAA was occupying space between Calvert-Lewin and the ball? Had Allison held on to the ball or put it out for a corner, no penalty?

I wonder where the foul started? Was it the back of Trent's head "fouling" Calvert-Lewin's knee?
jeez it's not hard to understand. If Allison had held onto the ball or put it out for a corner the ball wouldn't have been there for a calvert lewin tap in. It happens in matches up and down every league every week, forward takes it round goalie and falls over his body, whether keeper means it or its a penalty. If it had have been the keeper that brought him down in same way it wouldn't even be a discussion. In this instance it was trent who stopped calvert lewin scoring, intentional or not its a penalty.
The thing about this match is that we finally seen a ref with a set of balls that didn't fall for the constant theatrics of mane and salah. Embarrassing to watch.
nil satis nisi optimum

laoislad

Let it go J70 you won't get anywhere with this crowd. It was never a penalty. Mane had similar if not an identical thing happen against Southampton with their Goalkeeper and VAR didn't even look at it.
The official in the VAR room obviously had doubts as he asked the Ref to look at it. Not sure how much the Ref saw for the millisecond he looked at it though.
I don't think Liverpool were going to score anyways,  but going two down certainly didn't help the cause.

laoislad

Another week, another Man United player dives,another Man United penalty... never changes.

SHEEDY

Quote from: laoislad on February 21, 2021, 08:57:54 PM
Another week, another Man United player dives,another Man United penalty... never changes.
any comment on salah and mane diving yesterday?
nil satis nisi optimum

J70

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 21, 2021, 05:34:10 PM

jeez it's not hard to understand. If Allison had held onto the ball or put it out for a corner the ball wouldn't have been there for a calvert lewin tap in. It happens in matches up and down every league every week, forward takes it round goalie and falls over his body, whether keeper means it or its a penalty. If it had have been the keeper that brought him down in same way it wouldn't even be a discussion. In this instance it was trent who stopped calvert lewin scoring, intentional or not its a penalty.
The thing about this match is that we finally seen a ref with a set of balls that didn't fall for the constant theatrics of mane and salah. Embarrassing to watch.

Sorry, but I DO find it hard to understand. Especially if you're saying that had Calvin-Lewin falling over Trent would not have been a penalty if the ball had not been there.

As for the keeper bringing down someone, the keeper commits the "foul" when trying to actively thwart the attacker. It is part of the same play. Trent was there because he slid in to block the initial shot. He had no involvement in the follow-up play until Calvert-Lewin kneed him in the back of the head because he just happened to stumble on in that direction in pursuit of the ball.

It's utter stupidity in my opinion, like many of the new rules.

The way they're going, we're going to end up where defenders can't even try to tackle or block shots anymore.

Milltown Row2

Is there accidental fouls or not?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2021, 11:16:38 PM
Is there accidental fouls or not?

Mistimed tackles, tangling feet with a player you're chasing, going up for a header with your arm up and handling the ball. There's always been accidental fouls. Most fouls are accidental, unless you're someone trying to do another player or you deliberately take one for the team.

Being penalized for "fouling" someone you can't see, who comes up over you from behind, kneeing you in the back of the head, is not something that, to me, is in the spirit of the game. The only way Trent could have avoided that "foul" was by not attempting the initial tackle that left him on his arse in the first place. Is that what we want?

If those ARE the current rules, the game is being run by a bunch of f**king idiots.

They already had to backtrack this season after a few ludicrous handballs against Spurs (twice) and United.

J70

Maybe I'm getting old, but there is something seriously wrong with the evolving ethos of soccer if this is where we're at:

Dominic Calvert-Lewin had an open goal, so there was no reason for him to dive. As he hurdled Trent Alexander-Arnold to get to the ball, the Liverpool full back lifted his head and created contact.

It was a penalty, but it was good to see common sense prevail and Alexander-Arnold avoid a red card.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9284513/MARK-CLATTENBURG-Chris-Kavanagh-giving-penalty-Merseyside-derby-right-call.html