Wasps

Started by CD, August 01, 2014, 06:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Ricci

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 16, 2019, 10:14:13 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on August 16, 2019, 10:01:12 PM
Nothing cowardly about it. Wasps are a pest and a nuisance. Just let the house stay infested with them? Is it cowardly to set mouse traps?

For wasps??

Yeah that's it.

BennyCake

They're looking a place to hibernate, as it's getting near the end of season.

Water in jar jam, jam around the top will sort them out.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on August 16, 2019, 11:52:18 PM

I don't believe in killing them. Show them out the window

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on August 17, 2019, 12:03:50 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 16, 2019, 11:59:05 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 16, 2019, 11:52:18 PM

I don't believe in killing them. Show them out the window
Nah. The day they stop stinging folk for no reason is the day they get that kind of respect from me. Death will do them for now.
Wasps generally don't sting at random, i.e until mid August comes, then the kamikaze instinct takes over.

Itchy

Why is it ok to kill a wasp and not ok to shoot a lion. Discuss.

armaghniac

If a lion comes into your bedroom then it is OK to shoot him too, although I wouldn't suggest hitting him with a rolled up newspaper.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 17, 2019, 09:50:15 AM
Hardly seen a wasp this summer until the start of this month. Not quite overwhelmed with them yet, but as MS says above, we're now hitting the time of year where they get easily quite touchy.

Wasps - natures little b*stards.  >:(

Put out a plate with some jam or sugary water or whatever in it. That's all they're after. The queens have stopped laying eggs, the nest social order is breaking down and they don't have to gather other insects any more to feed the new larvae. They'll all be dead soon anyway except for the overwintering queens.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on August 17, 2019, 12:20:00 PM
Put out a plate with some jam or sugary water or whatever in it. That's all they're after. The queens have stopped laying eggs, the nest social order is breaking down and they don't have to gather other insects any more to feed the new larvae. They'll all be dead soon anyway except for the overwintering queens.

There is something to be said for a distraction like this at the other end of the garden.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Hardly seen a wasp this summer until the start of this month. Not quite overwhelmed with them yet, but as MS says above, we're now hitting the time of year where they get easily quite touchy.

Never would have thought David Attenborough was member of GAA board  ;)  One of the wee bastards tortured me up at Solitude all day today. Dunno how I didn't get stung.

Itchy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 17, 2019, 12:07:32 PM
No lion has even built a nest in or near my garden that marks it out of bounds until it's either dealt with through pest control or autumn starts to settle in

No lion has ever sneaked in to my half-drunk soft drink can and then started attacking me when I needed a sip.

Lions don't land on your food on the kitchen worktop, or hang around your bins.

A lion can't hurt you when it's dead.

You can usually see a lion on the seat of your chair before you sit down on it.

Lions don't tend to go on suicide missions against humans in August/September/early October.

A lioness will not produce tens of thousands of offspring in her lifetime that a queen wasp is capable of.

Shooting a lion as a trophy is frowned upon, shooting a lion that is a predator to livestock should ideally not be the first resort to dealing with them. Shooting a lion when one is an immediate danger to yourself or others around you is acceptable albeit usually reluctant and rather it didn't happen. Shooting a wasp with a firearm is (a) unlikely to do much good, and (b) somewhat of an overkill - especially if you're using your Uzi or AR-15.

Finally, lions are presently categorised in conversation statuses internationally as a vulnerable species whose historical distribution was far more widespread than it is today, where the number of lions in the wild are estimated to have plummeted in the last several decades. OTOH wasps are anything but vulnerable, and have been a significant problem when introduced into new ecological areas e.g. New Zealand.

That's fair enough on lions. But dogs can be annoying, I'm going to kill sone dogs. Even cute cuddly ones.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on August 17, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
Why is it ok to kill a wasp and not ok to shoot a lion. Discuss.
Lions don't wear Kilkenny jerseys
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Got one of these and found it to be very effective.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HFDGMNO/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Also useful to have a check around the house and grounds to see if you can spot their nest and call in Rentokil to do their job. Surprising where they can make a nest and over winter before attacking the next year. I had them going in and out to a roof space above a bay window through a small hole between wall and roof. Rentokil gassed them and sealed them in with the gas, no bother since.

Ed Ricketts

An all out bender with no responsibilities before calling it a day. It'd be great to go out in the same fashion.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.