Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2016, 07:39:46 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on June 24, 2016, 07:37:30 PM
Spoke to a few fellas in work today that voted Leave, all nationalists. They all cited immigration as their sole reason for voting Leave

Which is the stupidest reason of all. The jingoism of the worst excesses of Boris Johnson and Farage won the day and I'm sad to say my generation were responsible for the single worst decision the UK has made since the Falklands

One of them has a brother working in the US

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on June 24, 2016, 07:42:26 PM
Switzerland do alright. As does Norway, Israel, US, China etc.

You are deluded if you think the UK won't be able to trade with EU members. They're the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world. They'll work it out!

Immigration is a factor too. Infrastructures can't cope with massive influxes of people; hospitals, doctors, schools etc. Another good reason to get out. Should've happened 10 years ago.
Switzerland is deflating. The big 2 banks trade at 60% of book value
The UK econ. could contract by 10%
EU subs cost 1% of GDP

Norway has oil
Israel is poor

Financial chaos is about allocating losses. The UK just shot itself in the foot .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on June 24, 2016, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 05:29:31 PM
What worries me is the people in NI who voted Leave. Many of the English voters were duped (imho) whereas voters here... What exactly do they, as someone from Northern Ireland, stand to benefit from? The only argument I've heard from pro-brexit unionists is that it's a "uk-wide issue"; that theyve just done what their idiot politicans have told them to do

I voted Leave. Either way, the ordinary Joe will be shafted. Europe is run by unelected w**kers and member states have to toe the line. EU quotas have destroyed fishing in Ireland (and UK), a country that relies heavily on it. I never thought Leave would win, but now that it has, hopefully the rest will leave, and that can only be a good thing.

Yes, post-Brexit there will be recession, cuts etc - but they've never needed an excuse for that in the past. They'll blame Brexit and make people suffer but they would have done that anyway.
Ordinary Joes typically get to a point where they say "f**k that " and demand a new system.

INDIANA

You are deluded if you think the UK won't be able to trade with EU members. They're the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world. They'll work it out!

Immigration is a factor too. Infrastructures can't cope with massive influxes of people; hospitals, doctors, schools etc. Another good reason to get out. Should've happened 10 years ago.

The UK has had billions wiped off it's stock market today that it will never see again.

It will lose all the funding that it got from the EU.

Beggars belief the sheer ignorance out there. When it hits the pocket they'll realise what a stupid decision it was

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2016, 07:54:45 PM

The UK has had billions wiped off it's stock market today that it will never see again.

Beggars belief the sheer ignorance out there. When it hits the pocket they'll realise what a stupid decision it was
Ordinary people don't understand how finance works

thewobbler

I'd like you explain the bit in bold. Especially how long "never" will last.

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2016, 07:56:43 PM

Ordinary people don't trust politicans. Brexit is a result of successive governments lying to and screwing people over.

INDIANA

It was a vote for the uneducated. Unfortunately they were duped by the idiots and fell for it. Huge tranches of the poorest regions in England voted to leave without realising that they will be ever poorer as a result.

The old and the uneducated are to blame

No intelligent individual would vote to leave

Armamike

History shows that immigrants tend to bear the brunt when economic conditions are poor.  Immigrants aren't responsible for poor investment in the NHS, or for the lack of foreign investment, of for the lack of entrepreneurial new start ups that lead to new jobs. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2016, 06:08:41 PM
Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:26:08 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on June 24, 2016, 05:18:39 PM
I wonder will Arlene be so smug when the likes of Citigroup up sticks and move to Dublin?

I'm not so sure that this is an immediate concern but definitely not he 5-7 year horizon

A much more immediate problem is the reality is that a lot of the companies who were very advanced in their plans to move to the north will stall out until the uncertainty is no longer a concern in whatever that should be. The markets and CFOs hate uncertainty and unpredictability.
It is partly their fault  Working class voters haven't had decent payrises for years in large swathes of the UK. That came home with a vengeance today

Mist bankers and government workers had pay freezes for a long time during the recession as did most people working in public and private sector...so that covers a large proportion of working class?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: INDIANA on June 24, 2016, 08:06:19 PM

It was a vote for the uneducated. Unfortunately they were duped by the idiots and fell for it. Huge tranches of the poorest regions in England voted to leave without realising that they will be ever poorer as a result.

The old and the uneducated are to blame

No intelligent individual would vote to leave

No intelligent individual would lay claim to the outlandish doomsday scenarios you are painting above.

knockitdown

A good time to try start your own business? I've been thing about it for the past 12 months, waiting on this for 3, and ready to pull the trigger and hand in my notice. I never really expected that leave would be the outcome. This morning was terrible, but as the day goes on I'm starting to think that life has to go on, and it will. We aren't Israel, Norway or Switzerland. The EU need us as much as we need them, and I think this will come through over the course of the next few months.

Btw, my vote was to remain

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 24, 2016, 08:11:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2016, 06:08:41 PM
Quote from: heganboy on June 24, 2016, 05:26:08 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on June 24, 2016, 05:18:39 PM
I wonder will Arlene be so smug when the likes of Citigroup up sticks and move to Dublin?

I'm not so sure that this is an immediate concern but definitely not he 5-7 year horizon

A much more immediate problem is the reality is that a lot of the companies who were very advanced in their plans to move to the north will stall out until the uncertainty is no longer a concern in whatever that should be. The markets and CFOs hate uncertainty and unpredictability.
It is partly their fault  Working class voters haven't had decent payrises for years in large swathes of the UK. That came home with a vengeance today

Mist bankers and government workers had pay freezes for a long time during the recession as did most people working in public and private sector...so that covers a large proportion of working class?
MR it goes back at least 20 years
Wages in Wales have never recovered from the 1980s
NI is sheltered from the real world in many respects

heganboy

not sure why I'm bothering, but here goes

Switzerland do alright.
in that Switzerland is a stable well educated social equal population with stable politics and stable monetary policy, a currency that has plummeted, and it meets all the EU's trading regulations on purpose  (as opposed to what the Brexiters are proposing)
"these EU regulations are killing us..."

As does Norway oil that the government owns,
Israel dependent on the US,
US, China
are you seriously comparing the UK's economy to the US and China- maybe 150 years ago when there was an empire

sure they will- but at what cost what delusion now?

Immigration is a factor too.
this cracks me up
fear is the factor not immigration
what do you think leaving the EU is going to do to immigration?
what is immigration doing that is affecting your life so badly?
who do you think does the low paid work when the immigrants leave?

oh thats right you will and your family will and they will be glad to, because the economy will be such a state that there won't be better jobs, and there sure as shit won't be a national insurance and pensions safety net to save you

Infrastructures can't cope with massive influxes of people; hospitals, doctors, schools etc. Another good reason to get out. Should've happened 10 years ago.
this is where the get you, in the long grass.
when you put the needs of the rich above the needs of the poor the whole country suffers. the relaxation of corporate tax, loopholes, capital gains and reduced income taxes at the highest bands you don't have money for your national health service, education and you suffer a massive infrastructure debt (which was actually funded by the EU) Look back to thatcher and her policies, and now reap what they sowed. They built a system to encourage a wealth gap a make it wider, but what happens when the left behind uneducated poor get an equal vote to the rich protected capital providers?

infrastructure and invention were what the empire was built on.
the problem is not the infrastructure now, the problem is 30 years of underinvestment in the infrastructure, education and the health service.
Helps when the electorate is woefully under informed

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: Armamike on June 24, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
The lunatics have taken over the asylum.  I wonder how many of the average joes in England who voted for leave really understand the possible impact of this on their pockets.  Who will they blame about the state of the NHS and the lack of jobs in 5 years time?  Big bad EU can't carry the can anymore. Over here, it's going to be a much tougher job for InvestNI to attract investment here now.

Listen to yourselves, the people have voted democratically to exit the EU, quit whinging and finger pointing and accept the decision and move on.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.