Quote from: J70 on February 18, 2020, 12:41:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2020, 10:15:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 17, 2020, 10:10:22 PM
In Ole we trust.

And VAR of course.

VAR works.

Chelsea may feel hard done by, but a push and offside were plain

Which push?

Fred's one on Azpilecueta or the resultant one on Williams.

Ludicrous decision.

On the other hand, I thought the one NOT to send off Maguire was probably justified.

Fred jostled him as is the norm for 99.9% of corners in the EPL or football in general, the Chelsea player then placed two hands on Williams back and pushed, don't think they come any clearer than that.

Fred's push caused the second push. United got away with one.

No big deal, it happens. Liverpool, IMO, got lucky at the weekend with Mane's goal against Norwich.

David McKeown

Quote from: TabClear on February 18, 2020, 07:15:57 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 18, 2020, 12:41:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2020, 10:15:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 17, 2020, 10:10:22 PM
In Ole we trust.

And VAR of course.

VAR works.

Chelsea may feel hard done by, but a push and offside were plain

Which push?

Fred's one on Azpilecueta or the resultant one on Williams.

Ludicrous decision.

On the other hand, I thought the one NOT to send off Maguire was probably justified.

Strange one last night. The Fred push probably goes unpunished in the majority of cases , especially in the box unless the player goes to ground. However there is no question that Fred's actions is what cause Azpilucetta to "foul" Williams. On that basis you cannot let the goal stand so do you award a penalty to Chelsea?

Red card decision I am not sure about. Probably was on the basis that Son got a three game ban for something similar but there wasnt much in it for me.

I think the first goal shows yet another problem with VAR as you have to work backwards. So was a goal scored? Yes. Was it offside? No. Was there a clear and obvious foul in the build up? Yes. Azpilucetta clearly and obviously fouls Williams by pushing him in the back. Ok so the goal has to be chalked off. From there you keep going backwards. Was Azpilucetta fouled? Yes. Was it clear and obvious?  Probably not. Therefore free out remains the decision. 

Under no circumstances can the goal be allowed to stand. Even if you think Fred commits a clear and obvious foul there the best you can do is play advantage. That advantage ends with Azpilucetta commits his foul. He wasn't pushed directly into Williams he stopped short and extended both arms through Williams pushing him to the ground. So it's either a penalty or a free out. In the circumstances I think the correct decision under VAR was made but not the correct decision that should have been made under the other laws of the game.

So did VAR actually benefit the game?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trailer

Chelsea very lucky last night. Should really have been 3 or 4.

magpie seanie

Some cavalry charge for 4th and 5th now.

GJL

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 18, 2020, 04:12:43 PM

Need to be 4th. Can't see City's ban standing up to appeal.

magpie seanie

Quote from: GJL on February 18, 2020, 04:43:44 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 18, 2020, 04:12:43 PM

Need to be 4th. Can't see City's ban standing up to appeal.

Ah I'm kind of tongue in cheek with that comment. I don't mind missing the Champions League if there isn't a team good enough to contend for it to be honest and I can't see that being next season even in my most optimistic thoughts. Better off in the Europa blooding kids I'd think.

Regards City - FFP should be abandoned if this doesn't stand up. City have basically ignored it and put up two fingers. If this doesn't stick then it's over for FFP.

Look-Up!

Son injured and Chelsea problems. Hard to call 4th. Despite the season Utd have a great chance.

Boycey

Thought for the day, City's owners are being punished for putting too much money into their club while United's owners have been allowed to fleece theirs to the tune of over 1 billion pounds!!!!

#FFP

David McKeown

Is the reason for the city ban not actually because they didn't comply with FFP but because they falsified returns to mislead UEFA into believing they had complied. Ie the punishment is for the fraud rather than the underlying breaches?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

Quote from: David McKeown on February 18, 2020, 09:34:10 PM
Is the reason for the city ban not actually because they didn't comply with FFP but because they falsified returns to mislead UEFA into believing they had complied. Ie the punishment is for the fraud rather than the underlying breaches?

Surely both?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 19, 2020, 08:58:38 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 18, 2020, 09:34:10 PM

Surely both?

It is both as far as I know. I think all the bullishness that they are portraying may be misplaced and they will not over turn the decision. I think their best approach may be to go down the road of 'predetermined outcome' but even that is hard to prove.

We can wait and see but I don't think it will be easy

LeoMc

2 more for Haaland last night, a big miss by United. Does the blame lay with Raiola or Woodward?

Maroon Manc

United were first linked with Haaland in xmas 2018 when Ole had just taken over, he could have been bought in the 2 transfer windows before Raiola got involved. Ole had him for a season at Molde, surely he must have know how good he was.

As for City I thought their owners were trying to change public opinion of them, dragging this through the swiss courts if their appeal with CAS doesn't work isn't going to help. Their commercial revenue hasn't made sense since day one and still doesn't either.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: LeoMc on February 19, 2020, 10:22:19 AM
2 more for Haaland last night, a big miss by United. Does the blame lay with Raiola or Woodward?

If a €50m release clause being part of any deal is true, Utd were right to walk away.

magpie seanie

Quote from: LeoMc on February 19, 2020, 10:22:19 AM

Mourinho.  ;D