The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Was that a wee dig at Norman there in regards to the 21 PGA wins?

screenexile

It was a good finish to a tournament but Sky we're laying it on thick about "what it means" and the "quality of field" etc.

I imagine the USA coverage was the same they're all rattled!!!

Orior

Well done Rory - and with his Mum's connections then a great day for Armagh all round.

Who was Rory referring to in the interview afterwards when he mentioned about having one more PGA win than someone else?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: gawa316 on June 12, 2022, 10:41:44 PM

Ah, okay, Greg Norman.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mikhail Prokhorov

yep, stay classy rory  ::)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 12, 2022, 10:44:33 PM

yep, stay classy rory  ::)

You're back and backing the Saudis

Sorry trueblue couldn't resist  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Jesus this is shameless. Was a PGA rep on after it bringing 9/11 into the guys defecting to the LIV tour? And a letter was wrote to them from families of the victims?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 12, 2022, 11:15:50 PM
Jesus this is shameless. Was a PGA rep on after it bringing 9/11 into the guys defecting to the LIV tour? And a letter was wrote to them from families of the victims?

Way over the top stuff and no different to the crap that went on with the football thing before
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

onefineday

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 12, 2022, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 12, 2022, 02:41:46 PM
some will be able to play a few now but unless they get ranking points they won't get in

LIV don't have ranking points

They have to take more players as the fields aren't big enough to qualify for ranking points at the minute
No, their events don't.qualify for ranking points and won't unless the OWGR decide to award ranking points for LIV events. As things stand, that's not going to happen. That's why the defectors are now applying for European tour membership as they reckon they'd pick up enough points to keep on qualifying that way. PGA tour are desperately trying to convince the majors to change qualifying criteria in any event, perhaps rescinding the 10 year and 5 year exemptions (which seems pretty straightforward apparently). Hard to know how it'll all play out, but few of the defectors are going to enhance their marketability into the future, they better hope the Saudis don't decide that blowing 2.5bn on this is excessive and pull the plug on it all sooner than expected.
It's hard to

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 12, 2022, 11:15:50 PM

There was an article in the NY Post about it yesterday - https://nypost.com/2022/06/11/phil-mickelson-other-liv-golf-players-ripped-by-9-11-group/

Hound

Well done Rory. Played magic in the last two holes when the pressure had come on.  The 5-7 foot putts are still his potential Achilles heel, but his wedge play was just unbelievable. Sky said he's gone away from his usual of just lobbing wedges miles in the air every time.

I'm not Rory's biggest fan, but I enjoyed the witty dig at Norman!

Do the 9/11 group also publicly go after the US government (and everyone else who does business with Saudi Arabia)?

trailer

Some performance. Rory would've won that shitty LIV tournament by 10 shots. He's one of the greatest golfers ever.

Applesisapples

We will see at the US Open whether or not 9/11 plays into this.The crowd will undoubtedly give abuse to those LIV golfers taking part if it is an issue. I for one hope that the LIV experiment fails as it is sports washing playing on the greed of people who are already well paid.

Hound

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 13, 2022, 11:45:06 AM
We will see at the US Open whether or not 9/11 plays into this.The crowd will undoubtedly give abuse to those LIV golfers taking part if it is an issue. I for one hope that the LIV experiment fails as it is sports washing playing on the greed of people who are already well paid.
If it was backed by Elon Musk or some Aussie billionaire instead of the Saudis, would you have the same view?

There are two separate issues which are being combined as one.
- The LIV tour itself and it's disruption to the PGA and European tours (which I also hope fails)
- the fact the money is coming from Saudi

The players are moving purely for the money and they don't care where the money is coming from. Just like F1 drivers when they go to Saudi once a year, just like players signing contracts for Newcastle. Or for Man City if you equate Saudi with UAE.

I was just thinking; if a Saudi company set up a business in Ireland doing the very same as what my company does, and they offered me a salary of 1 million plus 50 days holidays a year. But otherwise my job would be exactly the same, apart from having to travel to Saudi for 3 weeks a year for training or conference or whatever. Would I take it?

I wouldn't take that job if it was owned by some Russian billionaire, because my government impose sanctions currently against Russia, but there are no such sanctions against Saudi (to my knowledge)

Also not sure that sports washing actually works? I don't suddenly feel that the Saudi Prince MBS is a great guy because he's involved with the company giving money to Newcastle and already rich golfers! Qatar have got a lot more bad publicity than good since being awarded the FIFA World Cup. Although it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Mikhail Prokhorov