The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Links golf is brilliant. I love it but it's almost like a different game to parkland. There's so much more thinking involved. The better I've gotten really makes me appreciate how good links golf is. Such a tough test.

TwoUpTwoDown

I'll give Corballis a punt thanks for the recommendations.

I'm a member in Murvagh the past few years and I completely agree about it being a different game. While definitely a lot more challenging the shite shots can be much more rewarding!

As a side note, some of the membership rates around the country are starting to become comical again.

Orior

Quote from: thebigfella on July 06, 2021, 02:53:06 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 06, 2021, 02:05:01 PM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on July 06, 2021, 01:47:55 PM

Has anyone any recommendations for North Dublin? I see various courses on the Web but are there any hidden gems. We are away for a few days on the 12th (always guaranteed good weather  8) ) and I fancy a round. Had looked up the Island as it is only 15mins from our base but they are looking stupid money for 18.
St Anne's Links is a bit cheaper than the Island, but still over €100.

Corballis is the most affordable links - €35 I think. Only a par 66 course, but still has all the "joys" and pain of a links. Has a pretty good website where you can do a flyover of each hole. https://corballislinks.com/ 
From memory there are 2 or 3 inland holes that are pretty mundane.

In terms of parkland, Skerries, Balbriggan and Roganstown are courses I really enjoy playing in the Fingal area.

Seriously???? Last time I played it, I payed 30 euro and that's how much I would ever pay. It's a crap course and the older members are knobs.

Corballis is great craic.

It's par for the course at every club!

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

A shocking 24.4 and on the rise. The more I play the worse I get.

——

Corballis is cheap but it's not great. Well no that's not fair, it's great fun for 13-14 holes but finishes horribly with 4 sticks on a runway.

If you're after a full size links in north Dublin, you'll need a wedge. Portmarnock Hotel used to be outstanding value but has crept up very close to three figures.

If you're okay with a parkland have a look at Luttrellstown, and if not available, St Margaret's or Roganstown. All usually have tee times at decent prices. I really enjoy the first of those: it's perhaps a little underrated. Also Balbriggan is a very enjoyable, well established golf course.

Gabriel_Hurl

straightred

Quote from: thewobbler on July 06, 2021, 06:03:02 PM
A shocking 24.4 and on the rise. The more I play the worse I get.

——

Corballis is cheap but it's not great. Well no that's not fair, it's great fun for 13-14 holes but finishes horribly with 4 sticks on a runway.

If you're after a full size links in north Dublin, you'll need a wedge. Portmarnock Hotel used to be outstanding value but has crept up very close to three figures.

If you're okay with a parkland have a look at Luttrellstown, and if not available, St Margaret's or Roganstown. All usually have tee times at decent prices. I really enjoy the first of those: it's perhaps a little underrated. Also Balbriggan is a very enjoyable, well established golf course.
Castleknock is close to Luttrellstown and a good test as well. Haven't played it in about 2 years but the greens were fantastic the last time i did. Ashbourne is nice and you'll get out there for €30

thebigfella

Actually forgot about Portmarnock Links, that's probably the best option if you want links but don't want over the tonne. Great course and the bit of money invested has really improved the condition. They have a Friday open too which could be a bit cheaper.

Castleknock is probably the most overrated course in Dublin. Plus it's oversubscribed too. Lutrellstown is a great suggestion.

thewobbler

Not a fan of castleknock either. Looks gorgeous, plays strange.  Luttrelstown has a great mix of holes and the undulations and shapes that Castleknock is missing.

No1

21.7 today, f**k knows what it'll be next week! Played West Cliffs, Royal Obidos and Praia del Rey on the Portuguese "Silver Coast" in the last wee while. Absolutely unreal. Blaming the shite scores on not having my own clubs!! ;D

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Boycey

Another decent start from Power, -7 through the first two rounds. He got over $200k last week but still needs a decent payday to grab a tour card...

An Watcher

Harrington flying again, keeps this up he'll be making his own ryder cup team

Hound

Quote from: An Watcher on July 10, 2021, 04:59:48 PM
Harrington flying again, keeps this up he'll be making his own ryder cup team
He's also had some horrendous rounds since Kiawah Island.
But links definitely suit him especially if not playing easy. Bad weather next weekend would make him a decent outside ew bet. Although the bad news with him being on the leaderboard this week is it'll reduce his odds significantly.
Shane should be a contender either way. Rory needs zero wind.

Saffrongael

Bubba Watson & Matsuyama out of the British Open
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come