The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I think the fact that you can have a handicap of 30+ means that if these lads do have a day then they're winning easily.

Playing off 24 so I'm a hacker myself but is the ESR still a thing in the new system? Haven't heard it mentioned too often since the new system was introduced.

trailer

Any club comp you need 45+ to win. Higher handicapper will always have a day when the stars align. Low men just can't compete they'd need course records to get anywhere near.

JimStynes

Our club comps were very low for a long time there. 36/37 points was winning it but I see it's now creeping back up to 40 odd points as the winning score.

Orior

I have seen the same ridiculous scores at weekend competitions, and these new handicaps give long time golfers no chance in matchplay comps.

Some clubs introduced rules, such as a max handicap of 28 for Captain's Day, or new members cannot win first prize on Captain's Day even if they have an official handicap and played 3 qualifying comps.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

I haven't noticed a big pile of difference in winning scores pre-WHS and post-WHS. 43 is enough some days, 46 usually needed. Same as last season. Maybe up a little on the season before.

I honestly believe the reason why it seems this way in most clubs is that they nearly all had a major influx of new members last season, and because there's so many of them still finding their level, and so many who began with handicaps of 24+, there's a lot of "newbies" on the podium each week... which is what is really putting noses out of joint.

My guess is this will calm down a little by next season.

gerrykeegan

Visitor in our open last week had 49 points.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

JimStynes

What's everyone's handicaps? A lot of the fellas around 2/3 in our club ended up getting scratch handicaps on the new system. I stayed the same but I am playing crap this year so I'm hoping I can get some form before my good scores start dropping off.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trailer

JimStynes

I'm a struggling 8.1 handicap who likes to throw in the odd 90+ round but the next week can shoot 75.

bigfrank

In and around 12.0 this few years but shipping this year,in terrible form which isn't what I need heading to ballyliffen next week lol for Donegal for few days before I get the length of ballyliffen on Tuesday,was gonna give the great northern in bundoran a spin,have holidayed in it since I was really young with parents but never played,think I might change that this week,it's around 30 euro so not bad value I guess

TwoUpTwoDown

17.3 but don't play like it atm.

Great Northern is a solid enough track. And the best value you'll find in the locality, although I'm near certain there is  €35 open every Wednesday in Murvagh. 15mins from Fundoran too and vastly superior overall.

Has anyone any recommendations for North Dublin? I see various courses on the Web but are there any hidden gems. We are away for a few days on the 12th (always guaranteed good weather  8) ) and I fancy a round. Had looked up the Island as it is only 15mins from our base but they are looking stupid money for 18.

Hound

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on July 06, 2021, 01:47:55 PM

Has anyone any recommendations for North Dublin? I see various courses on the Web but are there any hidden gems. We are away for a few days on the 12th (always guaranteed good weather  8) ) and I fancy a round. Had looked up the Island as it is only 15mins from our base but they are looking stupid money for 18.
St Anne's Links is a bit cheaper than the Island, but still over €100.

Corballis is the most affordable links - €35 I think. Only a par 66 course, but still has all the "joys" and pain of a links. Has a pretty good website where you can do a flyover of each hole. https://corballislinks.com/ 
From memory there are 2 or 3 inland holes that are pretty mundane.

In terms of parkland, Skerries, Balbriggan and Roganstown are courses I really enjoy playing in the Fingal area.

JimStynes

17.3 but don't play like it atm.

Great Northern is a solid enough track. And the best value you'll find in the locality, although I'm near certain there is  €35 open every Wednesday in Murvagh. 15mins from Fundoran too and vastly superior overall.

Really depends on what you're willing to spend. Crazy money for some of those places around Dublin and further afield. Seapoint isnt too far from North Dublin. It's a nice course and brilliant value. Baltray is right next door and it is superb but it's 4 times the price.

thebigfella

Quote from: Hound on July 06, 2021, 02:05:01 PM

St Anne's Links is a bit cheaper than the Island, but still over €100.

Corballis is the most affordable links - €35 I think. Only a par 66 course, but still has all the "joys" and pain of a links. Has a pretty good website where you can do a flyover of each hole. https://corballislinks.com/ 
From memory there are 2 or 3 inland holes that are pretty mundane.

In terms of parkland, Skerries, Balbriggan and Roganstown are courses I really enjoy playing in the Fingal area.

Seriously???? Last time I played it, I payed 30 euro and that's how much I would ever pay. It's a crap course and the older members are knobs.

Corballis is great craic.