The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

When you think out loud about an Irish person who was clearly the best in the world in their sport (not just their division or position), even for a short period of time, you wouldn't have a tremendously long list.

Brian O'Driscoll would qualify. George Best probably. Roy Keane possibly, but probably not. Padraig Harrington possibly. Katie Taylor probably.

Rory McIlroy, definitely.

GiveItToTheShooters

Rory Mcilroy bottling it again shouldn't come as a surprise now at this stage.
Serial choker.

screenexile

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 25, 2021, 12:46:41 AM
Rory Mcilroy bottling it again shouldn't come as a surprise now at this stage.
Serial choker.

Brilliant... making excuses for McGregor choking on one thread and then slagging McIlroy on another  ::) ::)

Mikhail Prokhorov

haha see you guys next sunday for the latest edition of irelands greatest  ;D ;D

(spoiler alert, it always has the same ending)

Si-Woo Kim showed tonight how to close out a tournament  ;)

screenexile

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on January 25, 2021, 01:33:52 AM

haha see you guys next sunday for the latest edition of irelands greatest  ;D ;D

(spoiler alert, it always has the same ending)

Si-Woo Kim showed tonight how to close out a tournament  ;)

McIlroy had won 4 majors at Kim's age but ok I suppose  ::)

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on January 25, 2021, 12:02:40 AM
When you think out loud about an Irish person who was clearly the best in the world in their sport (not just their division or position), even for a short period of time, you wouldn't have a tremendously long list.

Brian O'Driscoll would qualify. George Best probably. Roy Keane possibly, but probably not. Padraig Harrington possibly. Katie Taylor probably.

Rory McIlroy, definitely.

Would agree. Mcilroy reached the undisputed top of arguably the highest profile Individual sport in the world . He has remained near the top for several years, and has naturally  dipped because of less hunger , and more family commitments . Harrington broke the glass ceiling in terms of majors but was not as consistently around the top as McIlroy. Taylor undisputed over a prolonged period though women's boxing not yet a major participation sport. The same applies to Rugby, which is a relatively low participation sport worldwide  and not sure O'Driscol could be termed undisputed .  Best and Keane to have reached the top in the world's most popular team sport is remarkable . Horse racing has thrown up several world leaders with McCoy and  O'Brien being undisputed. Male boxing have had several world champions but not yet an undisputed pound for pound top man. Sonia was the athletic standout . However , On any objective assessment McIlroy must be considered top, given his temporary dominance, permanent consistency in a high profile sport. We too often take a blinkered view of The sporting status of all the above ( with the exception of the universally popular Taylor) on the basis of wherever we like their personality, behaviours or opinions. Objective Sporting wise, McIlroy must be top.

JimStynes

If it was Shane Lowry with the same achievements he'd be the best ever but because it's McIlroy people don't like to admit that he's the best Irish sportsperson.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: JimStynes on January 25, 2021, 10:47:16 AM
If it was Shane Lowry with the same achievements he'd be the best ever but because it's McIlroy people don't like to admit that he's the best Irish sportsperson.

Spot on that.
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Applesisapples

He is definitely the best Irish Golfer by a long way. Best Irish Sportsman, well that depends on your sport and the criteria you use to judge it. It is a sport that is generally not accessible to all, and I say that as an avid golfer. As a GAA fan, I'd have Paidi O'Se, Hernry, TJ or DJ up there but, opinions etc...

thebigfella

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 25, 2021, 02:38:39 PM
He is definitely the best Irish Golfer by a long way. Best Irish Sportsman, well that depends on your sport and the criteria you use to judge it. It is a sport that is generally not accessible to all, and I say that as an avid golfer. As a GAA fan, I'd have Paidi O'Se, Hernry, TJ or DJ up there but, opinions etc...

Big fishes in a small pond (Katie Taylor is the same).

Very few true Irish sporting stars that have consistently done it at the top level internationally, that leaves you the likes of Keane, BOD, McIlroy etc... whether you like them or not.

shawshank

Joey Dunlop?

The Irishman went on to win five successive World Formula One Championships (1982-1986) for Honda and it's his success on the roads that saw him become famous all around the world.

Taylor

Jonathan Rea seems to be overlooked in a lot of these conversations.

6 time world superbike champion, most successful of all time and holds the record for the most ever race wins in Superbike.

thewobbler

Quote from: shawshank on January 25, 2021, 03:00:33 PM
Joey Dunlop?

The Irishman went on to win five successive World Formula One Championships (1982-1986) for Honda and it's his success on the roads that saw him become famous all around the world.

I seriously doubt if the average man in Clapham Common has heard of Joey Dunlop, let alone him being famous all around the world.

Road racing has roughly the same global appeal as hare coursing. It's an ultra  minority sport, despite UTV's wall to wall coverage.

—-

Jonathan Rea a better shout. But I just can't help thinking, who's that now?

trailer

Think Rory will be happy with that weekends work. Driver wasn't behaving itself yet finishes 3rd. Few tweaks and he'll be right as rain. Good solid start. Torey Pines next.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on January 25, 2021, 03:57:57 PM
Quote from: shawshank on January 25, 2021, 03:00:33 PM
Joey Dunlop?

I seriously doubt if the average man in Clapham Common has heard of Joey Dunlop, let alone him being famous all around the world.

Road racing has roughly the same global appeal as hare coursing. It's an ultra  minority sport, despite UTV's wall to wall coverage.

—-

Jonathan Rea a better shout. But I just can't help thinking, who's that now?

Road racing has a massive following tbf , especially the NW , and Joey Dunlop was the undisputed king, but Road racing is not a worldwide competitive sport. It's a bit like saying Henry Shevlin is "world class" , which strictly speaking he is . Jonathan Rea's achievements are phenomenal but again it's a minority sport in terms of participation, and he competes in one of several different divisions, thus he doesn't capture the imagination in the same way as McIlroy or Keane