The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I thought he said the course really suits him? He talks some shite.

Insane Bolt

Maybe Rory will do a Ronan Rafferty😜

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Minder on June 14, 2018, 06:37:18 PM
McIlroy finishes +10

For someone with such talent he sure can play some atrocious shite

TheOptimist

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 14, 2018, 07:09:53 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 14, 2018, 06:37:18 PM
McIlroy finishes +10

For someone with such talent he sure can play some atrocious shite
Day +9, Spieth +8, Mickelson +7

Tough day

Boycey

Do you know what its not much entertainment watching guys struggling like this. Lowry just 5 putted  :o

Therealdonald

It is car crash entertainment. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that some complete no-hoper is going to put together 4 solid rounds and win by process of elimination. I'm thinking a Michael Campbell type. Journeyman winner be appropriate for a tough course like this.

Minder

Quote from: Therealdonald on June 14, 2018, 08:42:23 PM
It is car crash entertainment. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that some complete no-hoper is going to put together 4 solid rounds and win by process of elimination. I'm thinking a Michael Campbell type. Journeyman winner be appropriate for a tough course like this.

Why can't a top player string together four solid rounds, so they all just huff and give up if they can't play pitch and putt target golf ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: Minder on June 14, 2018, 09:40:40 PM

Why can't a top player string together four solid rounds, so they all just huff and give up if they can't play pitch and putt target golf ?

I don't think it's a case of them giving up but when so many are doing so badly there's something wrong.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Boycey on June 14, 2018, 09:51:01 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 14, 2018, 09:40:40 PM

I don't think it's a case of them giving up but when so many are doing so badly there's something wrong.

Blame sky etc......they want to see birdies galore....it's good for the ratings, whereas the golf purists want to see a true test of golf where par is good. Not sure they have the balance right at Shinnecock.

Gabriel_Hurl

The TV companies have no say in the selection of major courses.

thebigfella

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 14, 2018, 10:17:13 PM
The TV companies have no say in the selection of major courses.

Nor have they a say in the course setup either. Both tours or hosting organisations are responsible for setting up the course.

Insane Bolt

Tell me if you are a sponsor of a tournament.....say like BMW.....do you honestly think they have no input into how a course is set up? You think they would be happy to see level par win as opposed to 20 under. Ratings.....it's all about ratings.

thebigfella

Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 14, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Tell me if you are a sponsor of a tournament.....say like BMW.....do you honestly think they have no input into how a course is set up? You think they would be happy to see level par win as opposed to 20 under. Ratings.....it's all about ratings.

No they don't. None whatsoever.

Plus the ratings are driven by the quality of the field or tournament.

thewobbler

Quote from: thebigfella on June 14, 2018, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 14, 2018, 10:32:56 PM

No they don't. None whatsoever.

Plus the ratings are driven by the quality of the field or tournament.

The problem with a course set up like this is that as it's nearly impossible to make a charge, whoever is out in front by Saturday afternoon will be able to stay in or around the lead playing highly conservative golf. Which is no fun to watch.