The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2016, 11:07:40 PM
The 3 Mayo lads high on the leaderboard  . . . Will any of them finally do it this time??
Jesus surely one of them will. Lowry is obviously first preference but if he doesn't I'd love to see Westwood, Sergio or DJ win it.

Capt Pat

Lowry is leading by 2 on the 14th of the third round

JPGJOHNNYG

well done lowry i just hope he doesnt fall away. the way this weekend has gone for sport we could all do with a lift.

dec

Lowry has a string of birdies as he is completing the 3rd round. 7 under leading by 4

dec

Just read this morning that Shane called a penalty on himself yesterday

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/sports/golf/us-open-leader-shane-lowry-one-extra-stroke.html?_r=0

Shane Lowry placed the putter behind his golf ball on the 16th green Saturday to line up a long birdie putt. He then saw the ball move ever so slightly backward. No one else saw the ball change positions.

But Lowry knew it was a rules violation, and he acted immediately. He called a penalty on himself even though he knew that lost stroke could topple him from the upper echelon of the leaderboard in the second round at the 116th United States Open.

As if the devilish Oakmont Country Club course were not grueling enough, Lowry, an Irishman ranked 41st in the world, was punishing himself.

Lowry's gesture was noble, but don't think it was easy on him. Once he re-marked the ball — he was now facing a 30-foot par putt — he stepped away with a look of anguish. He grasped his putter with both hands and placed it behind his neck as if he wanted to break it over his shoulders. And he turned his eyes skyward as if to say, "This is what you're doing to me as I try to win my first major championship?"

If you believe in karma, or providence, Lowry made seven birdies and just two bogeys the rest of the day as the Open advanced into the third round. And when the sun set and play was suspended Saturday night, it was Lowry who held a two-stroke lead over the American Andrew Landry. At five under par for the tournament, Lowry was one of only six golfers under par.

And he could have been one stroke lower.

Lowry, however, never wavered on his decision and never considered doing anything else.

"I had to penalize myself," he said.

But again, reinforcing the notion that golfers are not emotionless robots who find it easy to conform to conventions of integrity without feeling the consequences, Lowry added, "It's very frustrating."

With Lowry in the midst of what is perhaps golf's most demanding tournament and a life-changing championship on the line, consider how uncommon Lowry's action is in modern sports...

maigheo

Lowry with a 4 shot lead going into the final round of the US open

Minder

Quote from: maigheo on June 19, 2016, 01:40:12 PM
Lowry with a 4 shot lead going into the final round of the US open

Fingers crossed for him
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

I'm sure he'll be chuffed if he does win...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sandino

I was listening to RTE radio yesterday. They spent ages talking about Rory's great start to his round. They were gushing! Then  in passing they mentioned that Shane was on two under.  Rory had got back to four over by that point.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Boycey

Quote from: Sandino on June 19, 2016, 04:15:37 PM
I was listening to RTE radio yesterday. They spent ages talking about Rory's great start to his round. They were gushing! Then  in passing they mentioned that Shane was on two under.  Rory had got back to four over by that point.

At the time Rory was fighting to make the cut and Shane was well inside the cut mark, is that difficult to comprehend? I'm pretty sure they're 'gushing' over Lowry today...

Go on the big lad today by the way... And should he fail to win there's 3 of my personal favourites in DJ, Westwood and Sergio to fall back on

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Lowry is my favourite current golfer, big likeable fellow who hasn't forgot his roots. Would be great to see him win it, he was alwaya a major winner in waiting though I had thought that the British Open might have been his best chance. To win a US Open would be a great achievement if he could do it.

DrinkingHarp

Fox Sports is showing the US Open here in the states and just did a little segment on Shane and Brendan Lowry (fathers day) and how Shane's father helped beat the "Mighty Kerry" as a key player for Offlay in 1982 for the All-Ireland.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

angermanagement

What times Lowry start ? Hope to God he wins, comes across as a great down to earth lad.

I take it regardless if he wins or not it's him and Rory for the Olympics?

Boycey

Quote from: angermanagement on June 19, 2016, 08:53:24 PM
What times Lowry start ? Hope to God he wins, comes across as a great down to earth lad.

I take it regardless if he wins or not it's him and Rory for the Olympics?

He's playing the 2nd at present, Johnson has got to -4 and Lowry has a tough up and down to stay at -7...

Yeah him and Rory for Olympics..