The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 08, 2015, 10:45:12 AM
If they are signed off, then that's an incorrect score and disqualification. As far as I understand the rules anyway. Puckoon or one of the other pros here might confirm :)

Pretty sure AZ is spot on. You can't just drop a ball close to where you think it is you have to go back to the tee or else call an unplayable if you can see your ball but can't play it.

thewobbler

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 08, 2015, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on October 08, 2015, 10:25:47 AM
Wondering if someone can help me on these...

Q1. When playing stroke play, player tees off, ball goes into trees & bushes, hits a provisional. Walks down to provisional which is roughly in line with lost ball, doesn't look for lost ball, hits provisional, tops it, then hits again lands short of the green, then decides to look for lost ball, finds it within 5 minutes of beginning to look for it, plays it and finishes off hole with a 6. Is there a penalty for playing the hole like this? Its arguable whether the provisional was past the lost ball when he hit it as he was the only chap who looked for the lost ball...

Q2. In stroke play, player tees off, hits what looks like a safe tee shot, cant find ball. Players on tee box so after looking 5 mins for the ball, drops and plays out hole getting a 6 including the 1 shot penalty. What is the penalty for playing the hole like this?

cheers

On number one, once you hit the provisional ball the second time, that is the ball in play. The first ball is considered lost at that point. Doesn't matter how far the provisional ball went.

On 2, it should be stroke and distance, you can't just drop a ball there and play away. In a golf classic you'd get away with it alright :)

I make you wrong AZ. I'm fairly certain that a provisional ball only becomes an active ball when a stroke is played with the provisional, from a position that is clearly in advance of the original ball's likely resting point

The only reason to object to Sammy's mate's behaviour is if was unclear whether the provisional ball was ahead of or behind the likely resting point of the original ball. At which point he should have consulted with and got approval to proceed (declared as provisional) from his partners.

AZOffaly

You're right wobbler.

Rule 27-2-b says

b. When Provisional Ball Becomes Ball in Play
The player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he makes a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1).
If the original ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, the provisional ball becomes the ball in play, under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1).  
Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball, that has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (Rule 18-1), or is in an obstruction (Rule 24-3) or an abnormal ground condition (Rule 25-1c), the player may proceed under the applicable Rule.

Boycey

Quote from: thewobbler on October 08, 2015, 12:06:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 08, 2015, 10:31:52 AM

Q1. When playing stroke play, player tees off, ball goes into trees & bushes, hits a provisional. Walks down to provisional which is roughly in line with lost ball, doesn't look for lost ball, hits provisional, tops it, then hits again lands short of the green, then decides to look for lost ball, finds it within 5 minutes of beginning to look for it, plays it and finishes off hole with a 6. Is there a penalty for playing the hole like this? Its arguable whether the provisional was past the lost ball when he hit it as he was the only chap who looked for the lost ball...

Q2. In stroke play, player tees off, hits what looks like a safe tee shot, cant find ball. Players on tee box so after looking 5 mins for the ball, drops and plays out hole getting a 6 including the 1 shot penalty. What is the penalty for playing the hole like this?

cheers

On number one, once you hit the provisional ball the second time, that is the ball in play. The first ball is considered lost at that point. Doesn't matter how far the provisional ball went.

On 2, it should be stroke and distance, you can't just drop a ball there and play away. In a golf classic you'd get away with it alright :)

I make you wrong AZ. I'm fairly certain that a provisional ball only becomes an active ball when a stroke is played with the provisional, from a position that is clearly in advance of the original ball's likely resting point

The only reason to object to Sammy's mate's behaviour is if was unclear whether the provisional ball was ahead of or behind the likely resting point of the original ball. At which point he should have consulted with and got approval to proceed (declared as provisional) from his partners.

I was about to post similar... Happened to me some years back, I hit a fairly good drive but it tailed into a bit of waste-ground so hit a provisional just in case, I topped the provisional ball which barely made it off the tee-box. I had no clue as to what to do and was heading off to look for the original til my playing partners told me I could play provisional on til such time as it was past the original shot.. Makes sense I suppose as it speeds up play?

sammymaguire

To be honest, I know the guy is a wee bit of a chancer anyways but what I was wondering moreso was that initially the guy was happy to play provisional as the 2nd drive was ok, he didn't bother looking for the lost ball at this stage, in the general region of the lost ball, so firstly when does the 5 minutes for searching for the original ball begin and then after topping it, he decided to look for the lost ball, obviously not happy he had topped his provisional, he then hacked out sideways so thus, playing 3 from the spot where he had topped the provisional rather than 5 ... Now the provisional ball he hit twice off the fairway was probably further than his lost ball which he played twice before abandoning to go back and look for his first tee shot - I don't see what the penalty is for doing this, I'm thinking DQ?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Mikhailov

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 08, 2015, 01:21:05 PM
To be honest, I know the guy is a wee bit of a chancer anyways but what I was wondering moreso was that initially the guy was happy to play provisional as the 2nd drive was ok, he didn't bother looking for the lost ball at this stage, in the general region of the lost ball, so firstly when does the 5 minutes for searching for the original ball begin and then after topping it, he decided to look for the lost ball, obviously not happy he had topped his provisional, he then hacked out sideways so thus, playing 3 from the spot where he had topped the provisional rather than 5 ... Now the provisional ball he hit twice off the fairway was probably further than his lost ball which he played twice before abandoning to go back and look for his first tee shot - I don't see what the penalty is for doing this, I'm thinking DQ?

That would be the last time I would play in a 4 ball with a chancer like that. end of story....

sammymaguire

Quote from: Mikhailov on October 08, 2015, 02:26:46 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on October 08, 2015, 01:21:05 PM

That would be the last time I would play in a 4 ball with a chancer like that. end of story....

:D :D let's just say, he doesn't get marking the card!! he's good craic tho and its funny seeing him miss 2ft putts fairly regularly as he normally gets gimmes with the other guys he plays with
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Trap

To you people who know golf. Is Rory a good bet this week at 4/1? Looks like a weak field........and Kaymer at 10/1 in Europe?

Puckoon

cheers

The answers below are pretty accurate.

1. Provisional ball can be played until it advances past the area where the original landed

2. Stroke play, player cannot sign for an accurate scorecard, as the 6 on the hold described is not an accurate score. Should be a disqualification. Always always always hit a f-ing provisional. There is no downside to hitting one and it is your right. I'll hit one if think there's a chance I can't find the original. If I find the first one, at least I got a free swing in to work something out. If I've lost the first one, I don't have to search for 5 minutes then pull the walk of shame.

lenny

Quote from: Puckoon on October 14, 2015, 02:38:26 PM

cheers

1. Provisional ball can be played until it advances past the area where the original landed

2. Stroke play, player cannot sign for an accurate scorecard, as the 6 on the hold described is not an accurate score. Should be a disqualification. Always always always hit a f-ing provisional. There is no downside to hitting one and it is your right. I'll hit one if think there's a chance I can't find the original. If I find the first one, at least I got a free swing in to work something out. If I've lost the first one, I don't have to search for 5 minutes then pull the walk of shame.

You don't always play a provisional. If it is known or it is virtually certain that the ball is within the margins of a water hazard (or lateral water hazard) then the player may not play a provisional ball. The reason for this is that the relief options for a ball lost in a water hazard (Rule 26-1a) are significantly more advantageous than those for a ball that is lost or out of bounds Rule 27-1).

Puckoon

Not discussing a ball in a hazard lenny. You cannot play a provisional if you think your ball is in a hazard. I was talking solely about a lost ball, the OP didn't mention a hazard in his question.

thebigfella

Quote from: lenny on October 14, 2015, 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 14, 2015, 02:38:26 PM

cheers

You don't always play a provisional. If it is known or it is virtually certain that the ball is within the margins of a water hazard (or lateral water hazard) then the player may not play a provisional ball. The reason for this is that the relief options for a ball lost in a water hazard (Rule 26-1a) are significantly more advantageous than those for a ball that is lost or out of bounds Rule 27-1).

You can have a local rule that allows you to play one.

pullhard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/34576139 - open to be played in Portrush 2019.

I've had the pleasure of living west kirby (500 yards from Hoylake) for two open's. West Kirby is really well connected to liverpool by rail and road and same for Manchester and it was still nightmare to move about for about 2 weeks.
To host the open in Portrush will be a logistical nightmare. book your holidays away ASAP

Puckoon

GMAC back on the podium after a long absence!

screenexile

Quote from: Puckoon on November 16, 2015, 04:01:58 PM
GMAC back on the podium after a long absence!

Great to see and it took a lot of heart to do it... he had a dodgy approach on 18 and managed to get up and down and then the approach for the playoff was absolutely perfect. Great stuff!!!