Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: thebigfella on September 24, 2015, 05:01:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 04:13:47 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 24, 2015, 03:12:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 02:13:54 PM
14!!! Go away outta that.

I've played in a few of these classics this year and it's pathetic when you see people giving themselves artificially inflated handicaps just to win a prize. The only person they are fooling is themselves.

14 is probably about right if not a little generous. 2 rounds this year and you in around 15 - 18 range so potentially you have the game to shoot way better.  You can play of whatever you like but that depends on how desperate you are to win  :P

Certainly not going to inflate to get myself a prize. Wouldn't be worth it. However, there's no way on earth I would consider myself a 14 handicapper!

If you follow the rules and guidelines set out by the GUI (taking into consideration you have only 2 rounds to go from rather than 3) on allocating handicaps, you are definitely no more than 15 anyway.

Your probably well able to shoot to 15 on your day and would argue with some practice more. 14 is very realistic handicap irrespective of what you consider you are  :D
Christ I thought our Match and handicap Secretary was hard.

DrinkingHarp

It's Good to be a Caddie!

Jordan Spieth's caddie, Michael Greller, apparently earned $2.1 million this year and would have been ahead of 221 PGA Players on the money list.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jordan-spieths-caddie-made-2-174037583.html
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gabriel_Hurl

Paul Dunne is playing in his first tourney as a pro this morning at the Dunhill Links. Off to a great start with a hole in one on the 15th.

Declan

QuotePaul Dunne is playing in his first tourney as a pro this morning at the Dunhill Links. Off to a great start with a hole in one on the 15th.

7 under after 16 - not bad!!!

muppet

Quote from: Declan on September 24, 2015, 03:29:51 PM
Quote14!!! Go away outta that.

I've seen him play and he's a certified bandito ;) ;) ;) ;)

Agreed.

Anyone who plays twice a year and breaks 90 both times is no 18 handicapper. Imagine what he could do if he hits a few practice balls before going out on his 3rd outing!  :D
MWWSI 2017

heganboy

That would give you about a 12 Index in the US (if you're lucky)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: Orior on September 24, 2015, 12:42:28 PM
Why is it, when you're teeing up on a great course, in front of 10 or 20 people, and you've taken a brand new ball, you loose it with your first shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbTfZ7RcaI
MWWSI 2017

DrinkingHarp

On Wednesday I get to play on TPC John Deere course....lookout Jordan Spieth!!
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2015, 05:12:38 PM
Quote from: Declan on September 24, 2015, 03:29:51 PM
Quote14!!! Go away outta that.

I've seen him play and he's a certified bandito ;) ;) ;) ;)

Agreed.

Anyone who plays twice a year and breaks 90 both times is no 18 handicapper. Imagine what he could do if he hits a few practice balls before going out on his 3rd outing!  :D

Well I went out and was given 18, everyone who was not in the GUI was given 18. And my round encapsulated my golf :)

I was even par (gross) after 8 holes, then double bogeyed the 9th to be out in 38.
Came back in in 45 :)

I told the guy giving out the handicaps that 18 was a bit high, maybe 15 or 16 and he said 'no all non GUIs get 18.

I had 3 treble bogeys on the back 9 as well I think!

That'll be the clubs away now for another 9 or 10 months at least :)

laoislad

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 06, 2015, 08:56:52 AM
On Wednesday I get to play on TPC John Deere course....lookout Jordan Spieth!!
Why? Did you nearly hit him with one of your drives?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Declan

QuoteWell I went out and was given 18, everyone who was not in the GUI was given 18. And my round encapsulated my golf :)

I was even par (gross) after 8 holes, then double bogeyed the 9th to be out in 38.
Came back in in 45 :)

I told the guy giving out the handicaps that 18 was a bit high, maybe 15 or 16 and he said 'no all non GUIs get 18.

I had 3 treble bogeys on the back 9 as well I think!

That'll be the clubs away now for another 9 or 10 months at least

Definitely single figure potential there AZ

sammymaguire

Wondering if someone can help me on these...

Q1. When playing stroke play, player tees off, ball goes into trees & bushes, hits a provisional. Walks down to provisional which is roughly in line with lost ball, doesn't look for lost ball, hits provisional, tops it, then hits again lands short of the green, then decides to look for lost ball, finds it within 5 minutes of beginning to look for it, plays it and finishes off hole with a 6. Is there a penalty for playing the hole like this? Its arguable whether the provisional was past the lost ball when he hit it as he was the only chap who looked for the lost ball...

Q2. In stroke play, player tees off, hits what looks like a safe tee shot, cant find ball. Players on tee box so after looking 5 mins for the ball, drops and plays out hole getting a 6 including the 1 shot penalty. What is the penalty for playing the hole like this?

cheers
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 08, 2015, 10:25:47 AM

Q1. When playing stroke play, player tees off, ball goes into trees & bushes, hits a provisional. Walks down to provisional which is roughly in line with lost ball, doesn't look for lost ball, hits provisional, tops it, then hits again lands short of the green, then decides to look for lost ball, finds it within 5 minutes of beginning to look for it, plays it and finishes off hole with a 6. Is there a penalty for playing the hole like this? Its arguable whether the provisional was past the lost ball when he hit it as he was the only chap who looked for the lost ball...

Q2. In stroke play, player tees off, hits what looks like a safe tee shot, cant find ball. Players on tee box so after looking 5 mins for the ball, drops and plays out hole getting a 6 including the 1 shot penalty. What is the penalty for playing the hole like this?

cheers

On number one, once you hit the provisional ball the second time, that is the ball in play. The first ball is considered lost at that point. Doesn't matter how far the provisional ball went.

On 2, it should be stroke and distance, you can't just drop a ball there and play away. In a golf classic you'd get away with it alright :)

sammymaguire

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 08, 2015, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on October 08, 2015, 10:25:47 AM

cheers

On number one, once you hit the provisional ball the second time, that is the ball in play. The first ball is considered lost at that point. Doesn't matter how far the provisional ball went.

On 2, it should be stroke and distance, you can't just drop a ball there and play away. In a golf classic you'd get away with it alright :)

cheers for that. On getting back to the clubhouse, if both the cards are handed in, in both cases would it be a disqualification?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

AZOffaly

If they are signed off, then that's an incorrect score and disqualification. As far as I understand the rules anyway. Puckoon or one of the other pros here might confirm :)