The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: leaveherinsir on August 17, 2015, 02:06:23 PM
Had both Rose and Koepka each way so a good tournament for me!! :-)

Best tournament i've had in a long time. I always do 4 or 5 players each way in the majors. This time I picked Day, Grace who both got me money. I also had Dustin Johnson who almost made top 6 and matsuyama and fowler who both did reasonably well.

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on August 17, 2015, 03:42:42 PM
I AM RAGING.

Captain's Day at my club last Saturday was won with 36 points (the course is playing hard).

I had 33 points standing on the 17th tee, and dinged the last two holes.

No way! That's a disaster. Pressure get to you knowing you had a good score or did you just mess up your shots?

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on August 17, 2015, 08:11:47 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 17, 2015, 03:42:42 PM
I AM RAGING.

Captain's Day at my club last Saturday was won with 36 points (the course is playing hard).

I had 33 points standing on the 17th tee, and dinged the last two holes.

No way! That's a disaster. Pressure get to you knowing you had a good score or did you just mess up your shots?

Tiredness perhaps, and my concentration dropped.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Always next year. I'm still playing completely shite.  >:(

Applesisapples

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on August 16, 2015, 10:06:15 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on August 16, 2015, 10:24:59 AM
Lads looking for a bit of help.  I want to get back in to the golf and want to get a new set of game improvement irons as my current ones (from lidl) are dung.  There just seems to tons of options out there and I'm finding hard to make the right decision.  I have only played half a dozen times over the last few years and could shoot anything from 14 over to 24 over!  Don't mind paying on the expensive side if they are worth it but don't want to be paying a couple hundred pound extra for nothing other than a name.  Also would I be right in saying that you would get a better deal on clubs after the summer is over?  Thanks :)

Going to a place that does a golf swing analysis to set you up with proper sized clubs should be #1 priority. You could buy the best Game Improvement clubs out there but if they are not your size it is a waste, a fitting should take between 30-60 minutes.

I prefer the G series from Ping, miss hits tend to go straight and are forgiving. If money is no object look at the G30 sets but you could save some big money by getting a G25 or even G20 set that has never been used. My partner in the Monday night league we play in swears by the TaylorMade RSi1 set he picked up.

Take a look at this article:
http://www.golf.com/photos/best-iron-reviews-taylormade-irons-callaway-irons-ping-irons-game-improvement-irons#1
I bought a new set of irons after an hour testing on a trackman it narrowed down to the Ping G30 and Taylormade RSi1. I went with the TM. But the trackman was a really good help as it weeded out clubs that didn't suit me.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 18, 2015, 01:59:15 PM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on August 16, 2015, 10:06:15 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on August 16, 2015, 10:24:59 AM
Lads looking for a bit of help.  I want to get back in to the golf and want to get a new set of game improvement irons as my current ones (from lidl) are dung.  There just seems to tons of options out there and I'm finding hard to make the right decision.  I have only played half a dozen times over the last few years and could shoot anything from 14 over to 24 over!  Don't mind paying on the expensive side if they are worth it but don't want to be paying a couple hundred pound extra for nothing other than a name.  Also would I be right in saying that you would get a better deal on clubs after the summer is over?  Thanks :)

Going to a place that does a golf swing analysis to set you up with proper sized clubs should be #1 priority. You could buy the best Game Improvement clubs out there but if they are not your size it is a waste, a fitting should take between 30-60 minutes.

I prefer the G series from Ping, miss hits tend to go straight and are forgiving. If money is no object look at the G30 sets but you could save some big money by getting a G25 or even G20 set that has never been used. My partner in the Monday night league we play in swears by the TaylorMade RSi1 set he picked up.

Take a look at this article:
http://www.golf.com/photos/best-iron-reviews-taylormade-irons-callaway-irons-ping-irons-game-improvement-irons#1
I bought a new set of irons after an hour testing on a trackman it narrowed down to the Ping G30 and Taylormade RSi1. I went with the TM. But the trackman was a really good help as it weeded out clubs that didn't suit me.

Yeah I did the fitting in Andrew Morris and it was a great job. Had maybe 5 different sets of Irons hit 5 balls with each and tracked which ones were hit the best. Ended up going with the Cobra Amp Cell which are an older model but I find them great.

muppet

Offaly Mammy watching Shane Lowry's recent win:

http://youtu.be/sSZXoKn9Piw

;D
MWWSI 2017

Gabriel_Hurl

5 Irish lads name in the Walker Cup team

QuoteThe R&A today announced the Great Britain and Ireland team to face the USA in the 2015 Walker Cup match which will be played at Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club on Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 September.

A ten-player team and two reserves have been named for the 45th Walker Cup match with a record five Irish players included in the line-up.

GB&I will be aiming to win back the trophy after the USA enjoyed a 17-9 victory in the 2013 match at the National Golf Links of America in Southampton, New York.

Nigel Edwards, who will be captaining the GB&I team for the third time, said, "We have selected a talented group of players who compete at the highest levels of amateur golf and, in some cases, have played in Major Championships and Tour events. The Walker Cup offers these players a tremendous opportunity to display their abilities and gain invaluable experience of playing in international team competition.

"I know there will be players who are disappointed not to have made the team and it has been a difficult decision to make with such strength in depth in the British and Irish game at the moment but we believe we have selected the best players for the team and are very much looking forward to the match."

The GB&I team:
Ashley Chesters, 26, Hawkstone Park, England
Paul Dunne, 22, Greystones, Ireland
Grant Forrest, 22, Craigielaw, Scotland
Sam Horsfield, 18, Davenport, Florida, USA
Jack Hume, 21, Naas, Ireland
Gary Hurley, 22, West Waterford, Ireland
Jack McDonald, 22, Kilmarnock (Barassie), Scotland
Gavin Moynihan, 20, The Island, Ireland
Jimmy Mullen, 21, Royal North Devon, England
Cormac Sharvin, 22, Ardglass, Ireland

Reserves:
Ewen Ferguson, 19, Bearsden, Scotland
Bradley Moore, 17, Kedleston Park, England

Captain:
Nigel Edwards, 47, Whitchurch, Wales

Milltown Row2

Rory back at number one without hitting a ball? Strange set up the rankings game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bridgegael

Shows how good he really is.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Orior

Quote from: bridgegael on August 29, 2015, 02:30:31 PM

Why is he not playing in the Fedex play-offs?

cornerback

Quote from: Orior on August 29, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on August 29, 2015, 02:30:31 PM

Why is he not playing in the Fedex play-offs?

Think he's just sitting this one out. With his points total he'll still qualify of the next play-off

Orior

You think your life is tough? Consider Sang Moon Bae, the South Korean golfer playing on the US PGA Tour.

He has to give it up to perform his National Service.

Would that work in Ireland?

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on August 30, 2015, 10:41:03 PM
You think your life is tough? Consider Sang Moon Bae, the South Korean golfer playing on the US PGA Tour.

He has to give it up to perform his National Service.

Would that work in Ireland?
Would Rory join the British Army or the Irish?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gabriel_Hurl

Who gives a f**k?

Another top performance from Jason Day.