The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Orior on July 21, 2015, 10:07:59 AM
Well done Zachary. I was glad Spieth did not win - McIlroy is still the king (for a few weeks anyway)

I was rooting for Oustie in the play-off. Is it him or the other boy that likes to buy tractors?

Spieth is clearly the best player in the world at the minute
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

deiseach

The issue with Alliss is not the joke in itself. It's that golf is populated by dinosaurs, and they don't come much more T-Rex than the bould Peter.

Puckoon

Quote from: Minder on July 21, 2015, 05:23:37 PM
Well done Zachary. I was glad Spieth did not win - McIlroy is still the king (for a few weeks anyway)

I was rooting for Oustie in the play-off. Is it him or the other boy that likes to buy tractors?

+1. Rory's lucky he did the leg when he did. Now there will be an asterix when Spieth goes number 1.

Milltown Row2

Clearly, that's why he's number one... No wait....

All joking aside he's a fantastic player, though did anyone see him crack a couple times or show a bitta petulance (like all great sports men have)?  Just on the back nine on the two bogeys in a row as you would having missed two sitters... I think next year he'll easily be the best player money wise and tournament wise no doubt about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on July 21, 2015, 05:38:03 PM

+1. Rory's lucky he did the leg when he did. Now there will be an asterix when Spieth goes number 1.
Will there be? I don't think so to be honest.
He is the best Golfer in the world right now with or without our Rors and his injured big toe or whatever is wrong with him....
Rankings mean feck all, look at FIFA ffs,Wales are the 10th best team in the World according to those rankings!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bridgegael

Mcilroy would have had it wrapped up after three rounds. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Milltown Row2

That's like saying Harrington would have a question mark over his wins due to Woods being injured when winning ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on July 21, 2015, 06:02:59 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 21, 2015, 05:38:03 PM

Will there be? I don't think so to be honest.
He is the best Golfer in the world right now with or without our Rors and his injured big toe or whatever is wrong with him....
Rankings mean feck all, look at FIFA ffs,Wales are the 10th best team in the World according to those rankings!

THe Golf ranking system is top notch and comparing it to FIFAs system is crazy. In golf they top players play one another week in week out as opposed to once every four years and the system ain't open to manipulation

McIlroy is world no1 on merit. Winner of 2 of the last 4 majors hes played in, top 10 finishes in the other 2, 4 other wins in the last 12 months including 2 WGC events his record stands up well to any scrutiny.

laoislad

Say what you like but if and when Spieth becomes No 1 and I reckon it will be sooner rather than later, it won't be because Mcilroy has been injured.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

Quote from: laoislad on July 21, 2015, 08:17:27 PM
Say what you like but if and when Spieth becomes No 1 and I reckon it will be sooner rather than later, it won't be because Mcilroy has been injured.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that it would be because Rory was injured - but I think that in the form both were showing coming into the summer - Spieth is absolutely the best golfer in the world right now. We won't know for sure, or until next year in any case.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2015, 06:09:46 PM
That's like saying Harrington would have a question mark over his wins due to Woods being injured when winning ::)

Like it or not. Agree with it or not. He does. It was stated enough times over the past weekend!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on July 21, 2015, 08:26:04 PM

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that it would be because Rory was injured - but I think that in the form both were showing coming into the summer - Spieth is absolutely the best golfer in the world right now. We won't know for sure, or until next year in any case.

Like it or not. Agree with it or not. He does. It was stated enough times over the past weekend!

Do you feel that?  Harrington backed it up with winning more Majors albeit with Tiger not playing but there were other great golfers playing..

Puckoon

Interesting, but irrelevant question - it's not for me to feel. Can the question be asked would he have won those majors if Tiger was playing? Certainly. I think he could only beat what was put in front of him, and he did, in spectacular fashion coming from behind on 2 major Sundays. On one hand the history books will record his wins. On the other hand they will also record that the greatest golfer of that generation (if not all) was not playing in 2 of them.

It's a hypothetical question, and one that was asked by many in the aftermath. If Kerry didn't field this year would there be any debate about Tyrone winning the AI?  :D

screenexile

Spieth was one shot off being World No. 1... Surely a couple of good weeks gets him the No. 1 spot? No question he's better than McIlroy at the minute.

Its a fascinating clash of styles Spieth the steady methodical player who's the best putter in the world. McIlroy the swashbuckling maverick capable of the the ridiculously good and ridiculously bad ... When he goes on a charge nobody can stay with him. Hopefully both are back for the PGA!!

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2015, 09:13:18 PM

Spieth was one shot off being World No. 1... Surely a couple of good weeks gets him the No. 1 spot? No question he's better than McIlroy at the minute.

Its a fascinating clash of styles Spieth the steady methodical player who's the best putter in the world. McIlroy the swashbuckling maverick capable of the the ridiculously good and ridiculously bad ... When he goes on a charge nobody can stay with him. Hopefully both are back for the PGA!!

Well summed up - is that your own work? lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2015, 09:13:18 PM

Speith will definitely go to number 1 in next couple weeks with MxIlroy being absent. His older wins will lose value and obviously he'll not gain any new ranking points.