The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Is Rory not only something like 2 or 3 over? Hell make the weekend if he putts at all today, from what i seen yesterday you'd think he cant putt as badly again. Id not be in anyway shocked to see him still involved at the business end. Man's a machine. :D

Mikhailov

Quote from: beer baron on June 19, 2015, 12:38:51 PM
Is Rory not only something like 2 or 3 over? Hell make the weekend if he putts at all today, from what i seen yesterday you'd think he cant putt as badly again. Id not be in anyway shocked to see him still involved at the business end. Man's a machine. :D

Agree on this but if DJ turns on the gas it could be over by tomorrow night. Now he is a machine..

screenexile

Quote from: beer baron on June 19, 2015, 12:38:51 PM

Tee to green he's up there with the rest it all depends on how his putter/temperament behaves you just have to cosy them up where you can and hope an odd 1 or 2 birdie putt drops for you. Spieth is the best putter in the world and I thought he was nailed on for that eagle last night but still missed it!

Gabriel_Hurl

I guess I'm in the minority here but I think the course looks great. It's so completely different to any US Open course. The greens look patchy from afar but up close they look fine.This course was built with input from the USGA as they were trying to build a US Open course.

More of my complaints are the technical things on TV - commentators talking at the wrong time, some sync issues with the audio and picture.

As for Sergio's complaints about the greens  ::) - how come Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson and Patrick Reed found them ok and made plenty of birdies? Everyone has to play the same holes.

Rossie11

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 19, 2015, 01:35:10 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here but I think the course looks great. It's so completely different to any US Open course. The greens look patchy from afar but up close they look fine.This course was built with input from the USGA as they were trying to build a US Open course.

More of my complaints are the technical things on TV - commentators talking at the wrong time, some sync issues with the audio and picture.

As for Sergio's complaints about the greens  ::) - how come Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson and Patrick Reed found them ok and made plenty of birdies? Everyone has to play the same holes.

I agree with you Gab. Cant understand the complaining. Some of these guys are seriously over pampered.
Fair enough DJ and Mickleson had slightly better greens than the late starters as they had dried out by the afternoon.

However Lowry and Ben Martin played in the group after Woods and shot 25 shots lower than himself and Fowler!!
Crazy but a simple case of 2 guys playing well and 2 playing crap.

Puckoon

For some of these guys the course has the mentality of a "Cold rainy night in Stoke".  Same course for everyone. Rub of the green. Sergio would be better served shutting his gob - and I am a Sergio fan. At this stage he seems like another beaten docket.

I think it's riveting watching

Boycey

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 19, 2015, 01:49:26 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 19, 2015, 01:35:10 PM

I agree with you Gab. Cant understand the complaining. Some of these guys are seriously over pampered.
Fair enough DJ and Mickleson had slightly better greens than the late starters as they had dried out by the afternoon.

However Lowry and Ben Martin played in the group after Woods and shot 25 shots lower than himself and Fowler!!
Crazy but a simple case of 2 guys playing well and 2 playing crap.

Think you are missing the point a bit lads, the players aren't giving out about the greens being difficult they're giving out them being inconsistent. Monty as I mentioned earlier had a great round but stressed several times in commentary that he thought the greens were poor. If the greens don't run true it becomes a lottery.

The best greens in the world wouldn't have helped Woods or Fowler :-).

On a side note, watched an American stream for a while last night, it was good to hear Shane O Donoghue. How long has he been with Fox Sports?

Gabriel_Hurl

They announced they would be using him just before Christmas - I haven't watched much Fox so I'm not sure how often he's been on.

thewobbler

Some of the criticism is just bizarre.

The leaderboard looks like it does for most tournaments: quite a few players under par, most above par, a mix of major winners and journeymen near the top, a few surprises and quite a few obvious ones near the bottom.

Any course that yields a couple of 65s just can't be as tough as they're shouting about. Seems to be birdie opportunities everywhere.

Every golf tournament has an element of lottery about it. Not sure why people are so quick to dismiss this one.

thewobbler

A few months back, I played Enniscrone. An absolutely amazing golfing experience; I've never played a course so utterly punitive and card wrecking. We were talking afterwards that a pro would do well to break 80 around it if there was any sort of breeze (we had 10-15mph).

As magnificent as it was, I couldn't play a course like that too often as it would sap then destroy me. I guess the pros must feel the same way about tough courses.

Orior

Jason Day! What a guy. Hope he is okay.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

I see Sky are giving Lowry to Louth
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gawa316

Quote from: Orior on June 19, 2015, 09:49:26 PM
Jason Day! What a guy. Hope he is okay.

Suffering vertigo.

Wish I could hit a bunker shot like that when I'm 100%, nevermind been able to barely stand

ONeill

+17 for Darren. Unable to make the cut but half cut.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on June 19, 2015, 10:48:06 PM
+17 for Darren. Unable to make the cut but half cut.

Last place
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"