The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 15, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
A 64 wedge Puck???   :o Or should I be calling you Phil  ;)

Our bunkers are 8 feet high in places, and most greens have 3 tiers. What can I say - I like the high soft one :-)

My bunker play is not great at the moment. I hit a dude on Sunday.

thebigfella

Quote from: Puckoon on April 15, 2015, 02:16:44 PM
You currently only have 13 clubs in your bag if I am counting correctly - so you get to add one more regardless of what you take out. I would say there is little point to carrying a 4 hybrid and a 3 and 4 iron. Your hybrid is essentially an easier to hit and slightly longer version of a standard 4 iron. So you are doubling up there. You seem to have 3-4 clubs that should all do a similar job

5 wood (maybe around 17 or 18 degrees?)
4 hybrid (maybe around 21 degrees?)
3 iron around 20 degrees
4 iron around 25 degrees

If you got a little more versatile with the 4 hybrid - I would restructure that end of the bag as follows:

Driver, 3 wood, either a 5 wood or Hybrid (I'd probably keep the 5 wood - I think it is easier to hit than a hybrid).

As a new golfer, and depending on your age and goals I would maybe recommend hybrids to replace your irons from 3-5 irons. They are generally a little easier to hit. I like to keep the long irons in my bag as I feel they force me to work on better ball striking. Put some "Scoring clubs" in the bag maybe. A few more wedges. A 56 and a 60 would be a decent start without knowing what your gap distances are from PW up.

Putting might be the easiest part of your game to improve on. You could shave some strokes off your handicap by working on that part pretty quick. Speed is the most important part of our game as amateurs. Worry less about the line and more about the speed of your putts and that will help a lot.

My set up changes monthly but currently the bag is set at

Driver, 3 wood, 18 degree hybrid, 4-PW, 52, 56, 64, Putter

Regarding your low irons to hit recovery shots - unless you are Jordan Spieth, chasing a 4 iron 200 yards back up the fair way out of the trees, under the branches - I don't think that a particularly great reason to keep those clubs in the bag. You can learn to hit a 6 or 7 low to get yourself back in play. A low long shot that never gets higher than branch level is a 1 in 20 shot.

Good luck, enjoy!

My advice is do not put the 60 in the bag. Way too many high handicappers deluding themselves their ball striking is good enough and in Ireland you can play the ball along the ground. Lots of the PGA on TV is on courses where the grass if different requiring you to flight the ball (and stop quickly) as opposed to a simple chip and run. Given a choice (and as a low handicapper) i'd play the lower risk shot each time which is along the ground.

Puckoon

So you would recommend either keeping a bunch of low irons and hybrids, but not a few more scoring options (note, options - not saying anyone has to hit them all the time), or alternatively not playing with a full bag? Why handicap yourself?

Interesting.

thebigfella

Also some people have suggested a 3 wood.

I carry 15 degree hybrid in place of a 3 wood and it gives me more shot options than a 3 wood of equal loft and only lost on average 5 yards (if I really want I can crack it out over 250 yards, so plenty long). The big thing for me is the shot dispersion is much better and my bad shots are way less destructive. My sugestion is maybe look at low lofted hybrid or 4 wood instead as they are easier to hit.

thebigfella

Quote from: Puckoon on April 15, 2015, 05:34:48 PM
So you would recommend either keeping a bunch of low irons and hybrids, but not a few more scoring options (note, options - not saying anyone has to hit them all the time), or alternatively not playing with a full bag? Why handicap yourself?

Interesting.

No if I had to make a recommendation, i'd remove the low irons (3 & 4) and 5 wood as I'm assuming they would be around the same yardage as the 4 hybrid. I'd maybe look at the gap between the driver and 4 hybrid and fill that (another hybrid and/or 4 wood maybe). Again I suspect there is a big gap between the PW and SW, so maybe something around 50 degree. I would't put a 60 degree in the bag until the poster starts improving contact and understands how opening up the clubface affects loft etc....

I would point out that it is possible to play without 14 clubs. So off 24 I wouldn't be worrying about filling the bag but finding clubs that don't lead to destructive shots. Even if the poster doesn't replace the removed clubs; there is plenty in the bag to allow him to improve. I'd play a bit to figure out where you need to fill the gaps (if at all) on your home course.

Handicap is currently at 0.7 but here is my bag.
Driver
15.5 degree hybrid
3 hybrid
4 to PW
49 degree wedge
54 degree wedge
60 degree wedge
Putter

Puckoon

I think that is a very fair point regarding a gap wedge and probably a more all around useful club option for Cornerback. I just don't believe that a 60 degree wedge automagically leads to destructive shots, nor that it requires phenomenal ball striking to use it well. Certainly no more or less so than a 4 iron under the branches..

A player, regardless of handicap shouldn't be scared of at least experimenting with it. It's not like we're suggesting a set of hogan butterknives that require phenomenal ball striking.

Absolutely agree it is possible to play with less than 14 clubs - I think we are saying the same thing - find the right mix of clubs, but unless you are having serious trouble with all but 13... - I would put 14 in the bag. I don't always use a tee on a par 3 - but I would also tell a novice that it's to your advantage - generally - to do so.

On the 14 club thing - you're playing in a 3 club tournament - what are you bringing?

lenny

Quote from: Puckoon on April 15, 2015, 06:27:55 PM
I think that is a very fair point regarding a gap wedge and probably a more all around useful club option for Cornerback. I just don't believe that a 60 degree wedge automagically leads to destructive shots, nor that it requires phenomenal ball striking to use it well. Certainly no more or less so than a 4 iron under the branches..

A player, regardless of handicap shouldn't be scared of at least experimenting with it. It's not like we're suggesting a set of hogan butterknives that require phenomenal ball striking.

Absolutely agree it is possible to play with less than 14 clubs - I think we are saying the same thing - find the right mix of clubs, but unless you are having serious trouble with all but 13... - I would put 14 in the bag. I don't always use a tee on a par 3 - but I would also tell a novice that it's to your advantage - generally - to do so.

On the 14 club thing - you're playing in a 3 club tournament - what are you bringing?

What about someone just taking up golf? Would people recommend just looking out for a good 2nd hand set of clubs or going into somewhere like nevada bobs and buying a brand new set.

Puckoon

I think before "good second hand set", you need to think about style. What I mean by that is what classification of irons, what flex of shaft as primary considerations.

Irons are bracketed into

Super Game Improvement (SGI)
Game Improvement (GI)
Better Players clubs

As you move from SGI to Players, the forgiveness usually decreases, the versatility increases, and the aesthetics (if that's your thing) improve. Most average male golfers, between teens and lets say 50 (?) would fit into a stiff shaft - but that is again depending on swing speed, and subject to various interpretations. I've seen scratch players play SGI irons, and I've seen hacks playing with blades. Jordan Spieth uses a set of irons that hover between GI and Better Players clubs, certainly at the easier side of players irons to hit. Jimmy Walker uses the Titleist Muscle Backs (blades).

If you're looking for a set of sticks to muck about with, sure - take your shot at some second hand deals. If you are serious after that, I would recommend learning about what is right for you, and paying a little to make sure you get the right equipment.

You're going to spend money either way - and you can get a decent new or used set at a golf shop where hopefully they explain to you what best suits your swing, speed, and goals.

laoislad

lenny just go out and buy one of those starter sets that comes with a bag and all. I think Wilson do some.
There is a lot of nonsense talked about clubs imo. Most of it is just hype from the manufacturer and it's amazing the amount of people that buy into it.

I've seen guys with the most expensive of clubs and they can't hit the ball out of their way and I've seen guys who are excellent golfers still playing with a cheap or older set of clubs.

You'd be better off starting with one of those starter sets and seeing how you like the game first.
I bet you'll still be using the clubs for many years.

Here something like this
http://www.halpennygolf.com/wilson-1200-profile-set-p-1043.html?osCsid=5602771199d775f3a5e57a9078b845b9
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

cornerback

Quote from: thebigfella on April 15, 2015, 06:09:13 PM

Interesting.

No if I had to make a recommendation, i'd remove the low irons (3 & 4) and 5 wood as I'm assuming they would be around the same yardage as the 4 hybrid. I'd maybe look at the gap between the driver and 4 hybrid and fill that (another hybrid and/or 4 wood maybe). Again I suspect there is a big gap between the PW and SW, so maybe something around 50 degree. I would't put a 60 degree in the bag until the poster starts improving contact and understands how opening up the clubface affects loft etc....

I would point out that it is possible to play without 14 clubs. So off 24 I wouldn't be worrying about filling the bag but finding clubs that don't lead to destructive shots. Even if the poster doesn't replace the removed clubs; there is plenty in the bag to allow him to improve. I'd play a bit to figure out where you need to fill the gaps (if at all) on your home course.

Driver
15.5 degree hybrid
3 hybrid
4 to PW
49 degree wedge
54 degree wedge
60 degree wedge
Putter

My PW is 48 degrees & my SW is 55.

Obviously a SW is designed more specifically for bunker play but does this make it any more difficult to use for general chip shots around the green?

Puckoon

Yeah - its like any hobby. Hype and marketing can be levelled at New running shoes or fancy cameras. You can put as much or as little effort/money/research into golf equipment as you want.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: thebigfella on April 15, 2015, 06:09:13 PM

Interesting.

Driver
15.5 degree hybrid
3 hybrid
4 to PW
49 degree wedge
54 degree wedge
60 degree wedge
Putter
Corner back this is great advice from someone who can obv play golf. Your easiest way to improve is working on your short game. Learn to play "pitch" shots from your 7 iron thru to SW. And work on your putting. Any higher handicappers i know have a shite short game hence they are playing off 20+.
Work on 80 yards in and putting first. I play off 7 and have had either 12 or 13 clubs in my bag for most of golfing life

Good luck

Boycey

I've had one set of decent clubs ever since I started and they were 2nd hand when I got them :-) I am toying with changing them at the minute. I did buy a good driver, a Cobra lv4 about 5 years ago after trying it at a demo night and liking it. I read recently that drivers lose the "spring" off the face after 3/4 years, anyone know is this true or more marketing hyperbole??

I'm an 18 handicapper and never going to get any better at this stage but would still like to do the best I can off that number

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Boycey on April 15, 2015, 11:34:24 PM
I've had one set of decent clubs ever since I started and they were 2nd hand when I got them :-) I am toying with changing them at the minute. I did buy a good driver, a Cobra lv4 about 5 years ago after trying it at a demo night and liking it. I read recently that drivers lose the "spring" off the face after 3/4 years, anyone know is this true or more marketing hyperbole??

I'm an 18 handicapper and never going to get any better at this stage but would still like to do the best I can off that number

I talked to 3 different manufacturer salesmen at a recent golf expo and all three stated you do loose something on an older metal driver. They spoke of every 3-5 years to upgrade the driver depending on how many rounds per year. I recently upgraded from a 10-11yo driver Ping G2 to a new G20 and the distance difference is about 35-50 yards. In four years I will replace all clubs to the G30 set because by then I will not need another set after that (age).
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Applesisapples

Quote from: lenny on April 15, 2015, 07:14:50 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 15, 2015, 06:27:55 PM

What about someone just taking up golf? Would people recommend just looking out for a good 2nd hand set of clubs or going into somewhere like nevada bobs and buying a brand new set.
I started playing two years ago, I bought a new set of burner os's which were £300 not much more than a second hand set. I lucked out in that they are easy to hit and forgiving. If I was starting over I would probably borrow or steal a set until I got the hang of hitting the clubsand take lessons, and then go along and get a shop or club pro to test clubs for you on trackman. Two years in and having taken 8 shots of the handicap I have upgraded to a set of RSi's this time though I spent an hour and tried out different clubs and settled on the ones that suited best. Andrew Morris in Lisburn are very decent to deal with if you are buying second hand. They will sell you clubs that are best suited rather than the dearest.