The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

As is the way now everything has to be the best, the biggest, the worst or whatever. Sky Sports News produced a mind blowing array of stats this morning, all very nice but ultimately pointless other than the one that said Masters Champion 2015 - Jordan Spieth....

Best performance in a major for me, Tiger at Pebble Beach in 2000. He finished -12 on a course where the next guy was +3, no point in showing the list of the chasing pack there wasn't one...

AZOffaly

16 players finished in red numbers in 1997, 32 players finished in red numbers in 2015.

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on April 13, 2015, 11:17:28 AM
You would think Woods would have a good chance at St Andrews in the summer, it's set up perfect for him
He'll have to beat our Rors first.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I'd say the committee will be ripping. What odds the winner next year being less (or greater than) -10 I wonder?

Applesisapples

Spieth has been an up and coming talent for some time now and unlike Ricky Fowler and some other young yanks he has delivered. He seems to be very consistent around the greens which McIlroy isn't and I think he will be about for some time. I can't understand some of the dismissive comments about him on here. He will be Tiger to McIlroy's Phil I believe.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 13, 2015, 12:21:01 PM
Spieth has been an up and coming talent for some time now and unlike Ricky Fowler and some other young yanks he has delivered. He seems to be very consistent around the greens which McIlroy isn't and I think he will be about for some time. I can't understand some of the dismissive comments about him on here. He will be Tiger to McIlroy's Phil I believe.

Spieth's putting is ridiculous but it doesn't take much for that to go off course for a season or 2 and the rest of his game I'm not sure will be able to cope if he's not putting well. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

In terms of comparison to McIlroy it will be interesting. McIlroy is a distinctly average putter but the rest of his game is top drawer in that he has all the shots and is excellent around the greens whereas Spieth is more steady and his putting makes him spectacular. Will they be paired together on the last Day @ St. Andrews?

muppet

Rory already has one less major than Phil's total & has 8 years to reach the age Phil was when he won his first major.

Much as I enjoy watching Mickelson, there will be no comparison when we are looking back in a few decades.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

Quote from: screenexile on April 13, 2015, 12:28:42 PM

Spieth's putting is ridiculous but it doesn't take much for that to go off course for a season or 2 and the rest of his game I'm not sure will be able to cope if he's not putting well. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

In terms of comparison to McIlroy it will be interesting. McIlroy is a distinctly average putter but the rest of his game is top drawer in that he has all the shots and is excellent around the greens whereas Spieth is more steady and his putting makes him spectacular. Will they be paired together on the last Day @ St. Andrews?

I'd agree with his putting, he putts cack handed and looks up for the short putts. If he gets the yips he could be in trouble. That said he was coolness to the extreme all weekend.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

BluestackBoy

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 13, 2015, 07:57:48 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 13, 2015, 12:28:42 PM

Doesn't matter who you are or what kind of grip you have, if you get the yips you are history.

I'd agree with his putting, he putts cack handed and looks up for the short putts. If he gets the yips he could be in trouble. That said he was coolness to the extreme all weekend.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Puckoon

Patrick Reed now confirmed for the Irish Open this year as well. If the recruitment drive keeps up it could be an impressive field

cornerback

Recently took up golf in a more serious way.  Had always futtered about playing the odd round here & there.  But took out membership this year & will be playing off 24.

As you can tell, i'm not going to break into the professional ranks any time soon, but i think a handicap of 20 this time next year is a reasonable target.

Putting is my biggest Achilles' Heel at the minute & i know it's the part of my game is going to need the most practice.

In the last few rounds I've put a 4 hybird in the bag & this has helped me immensely.  My 3 & 4 irons are now redundant (rarely used them anyway as i found them so hard to hit).

What does everyone else keep in there bag?  I've Driver, 5 Wood, 4 Hybrid, 3-9 irons, PW, SW & Putter.

If i'm going to sack the 3 iron there is room for 2 more clubs in the bag - any recommendations?

offtheground

Def put a gap wedge in.. i have a 52 deg and a 60deg wedge. I've found the 52 to be one of the most used clubs in my bag..

Applesisapples

Quote from: offtheground on April 15, 2015, 10:57:00 AM
Def put a gap wedge in.. i have a 52 deg and a 60deg wedge. I've found the 52 to be one of the most used clubs in my bag..
I would agree with that, I'm only playing a couple of years myself and would say don't throw away the 4 iron, a handy club as you start to improve. A 55/56 wedge is also useful.

Applesisapples

Quote from: offtheground on April 15, 2015, 10:57:00 AM
Just noticed you have a sandwedge which would be 55/56, perhaps a 3 wood or metal as the yanks would say