The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Rory Vs Spieth would be an amazing decade. However they are very different. Spieth cannot match the sheer power of McIlroy. He doesn't have some of the shots Rory has. However, he doesn't miss like Rory. That's not to be under estimated. They have both got decent gane around the greens but not in the Phil or Tiger range of old. Jordan Spieth however has the Edge in putting. Rory can get hot but he isn't the putter Spieth is.

I'd love to see Spieth stay with Titleist and leave the money and advertising that Rory has gone for. It would be interesting to see if the Nike Dollars and profile vs the Quiet Titelist won't pay me to recognize my marketing profile ever made a difference. But I think Spieth will have to sign with a large OEM. He's too good to avoid the money they will offer.

Seriously grown up by Rory to make the cut. That in itself has made it a useful Masters, all things considered.

David McKeown

Superb back nine from Rory yesterday. A stupid three putt bogey and he left one in the teeth at 11 and he still came home in 31 whilst not playing well is the sign of a great golfer. If they intend to have the greens get quick today which I imagine they might Rory will be out early enough to get the best of the conditions. He will need a 64/65 and a lot of luck to have any hope of getting back in contention but it's not beyond him.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on April 11, 2015, 08:17:33 AM
Superb back nine from Rory yesterday. A stupid three putt bogey and he left one in the teeth at 11 and he still came home in 31 whilst not playing well is the sign of a great golfer. If they intend to have the greens get quick today which I imagine they might Rory will be out early enough to get the best of the conditions. He will need a 64/65 and a lot of luck to have any hope of getting back in contention but it's not beyond him.

Never backed him, when there is too much hype about him he usually doesn't perform as well... He didn't get a great start like he normally does...  Kordan playing great, what would stop him now??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

beer baron

Ryan Moore had a good round yesterday,he could be a sneaky one that could get involved. 

INDIANA

Jordan Spieth only has to shoot a pair of 70's to win. He was second last year. 3 top 2 finishes in his last 3 events.

Outside chance is Dustin Johnson.

Rory hasn't a hope in hell in my view unless Spieth implodes unfortunately he's too far back. Rory hasn't gone very low around Augusta too often.

Great to see Tiger back.

Boycey

Quote from: INDIANA on April 11, 2015, 12:12:11 PM

Jordan Spieth only has to shoot a pair of 70's to win. He was second last year. 3 top 2 finishes in his last 3 events.

Outside chance is Dustin Johnson.

Rory hasn't a hope in hell in my view unless Spieth implodes unfortunately he's too far back. Rory hasn't gone very low around Augusta too often.

Great to see Tiger back.

Everyone left in the tournament needs help from Speith if they are to win but you never know. Monty said last night you could play well and still shoot 73 if things didn't go your way, if he shot a pair of them over the weekend it'd let a lot of men back into the tournament...

Having said that the way he's played over the 1st two days its hard to see him struggle, mind you Kaymer was 10 ahead during final round earlier this year and failed to win!!!

Tony Baloney

He's 21 years old and going into the weekend at the Masters with a seemingly unassailable lead. Pressure is on him, so by no means home and hosed. McIlroy shot a Sunday 80 four years ago - that would put a dent in Speith's scorecard. I don't think any of the chasers will have given up.

David McKeown

It's hard to see past Spieth. He's in the form of his life and loves Augusta but stranger things have happened. I'd be surprised if they haven't dried the greens a lot for today.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gerrykeegan

Cameras will be all over Woods and Garcia after 2013
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 11, 2015, 02:01:10 PM
He's 21 years old and going into the weekend at the Masters with a seemingly unassailable lead. Pressure is on him, so by no means home and hosed. McIlroy shot a Sunday 80 four years ago - that would put a dent in Speith's scorecard. I don't think any of the chasers will have given up.
From an entertainment point of view I hope the likes of Dustin Johnson,Casey,Rose and Hoffman keep in touch with him so we have an exciting Sunday.
Everyone else is probably too far behind imo.
It be great if Tiger had a big day today and was only a few shots behind, I'd love to see him challenging tomorrow.
Other than that though you couldn't begrudge Speith, what a player. The best at his age since Tiger without a doubt.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

cockahoop

hallelujah that BBC have coverage for the next two rounds,cant stand another minute of the crap on sky.i Missed most of last nights play and watched or tried to watch Sky's highlights program this morning,my god trying to see the coverage was like getting teeth pulled between silly polls and clowns in a studio hitting shots against a screen..errrrr just show the bloody golf

screenexile

I don't buy all this 'better than Rory at his age' nonsense. That will be decided on Sunday!!

The interviewer on BBC asked McIlroy a fantastic question last night "We know you and one or two others have an extra gear that nobody can match... Are you sensing that you're close to engaging that this weekend?"

Personaly I don't think he is but 2 players in the chasing pack have it and could do damage in Mickelson and DJ (-7 on the par 5s yesterday is evidence of that). I still think tonight and tomorrow will be worth watching but I got Spieth @ 14s so I hope he does it!!

cockahoop

Quote from: screenexile on April 11, 2015, 02:53:25 PM
I don't buy all this 'better than Rory at his age' nonsense. That will be decided on Sunday!!

The interviewer on BBC asked McIlroy a fantastic question last night "We know you and one or two others have an extra gear that nobody can match... Are you sensing that you're close to engaging that this weekend?"

Personaly I don't think he is but 2 players in the chasing pack have it and could do damage in Mickelson and DJ (-7 on the par 5s yesterday is evidence of that). I still think tonight and tomorrow will be worth watching but I got Spieth @ 14s so I hope he does it!!

I think because Speith is so far ahead players will just have to be very aggressive and this will mean great viewing,between great shots and total disasters it makes for great viewing,as screen said there are a few players capable of doing something magic and it will be interesting to see if speith drops a few shots if he can hold his nerve.

INDIANA

Quote from: cockahoop on April 11, 2015, 02:59:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 11, 2015, 02:53:25 PM

I think because Speith is so far ahead players will just have to be very aggressive and this will mean great viewing,between great shots and total disasters it makes for great viewing,as screen said there are a few players capable of doing something magic and it will be interesting to see if speith drops a few shots if he can hold his nerve.

Spieth plays the par 5's well he'll win. It's not as if he's a short hitter either

Old yeller

Quote from: cockahoop on April 11, 2015, 02:22:46 PM
hallelujah that BBC have coverage for the next two rounds,cant stand another minute of the crap on sky.i Missed most of last nights play and watched or tried to watch Sky's highlights program this morning,my god trying to see the coverage was like getting teeth pulled between silly polls and clowns in a studio hitting shots against a screen..errrrr just show the bloody golf
I paid £11 to get the golf for the weekend through Sky, not realising it was only half fuckin coverage. Now your tellin me the BBC have it for free! A fool and his money....