The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ha ha derry

Has anyone played Roganstown golf course? Heading down tomorrow hoping to play 18 then watch the rugby. Would there be many about the club house? If not , where would be the nearest place to watch it ( lively )

thewobbler

Played Roganstown a few weeks ago. It's a good track with some excellent holes (par 3s are top drawer) if a little flat and bland in places. Condition was superb given the winter we've had. They had lift and place in operation, but I hardly needed it.

It plays quite long.

Re drinking, not sure. The England match was on that day and we left right after golf for high stools in the hotel we were staying in. I didn't notice much around the hotel - it's half suburbia half countryside in location.

ha ha derry

Quote from: thewobbler on March 07, 2014, 05:12:56 PM
Played Roganstown a few weeks ago. It's a good track with some excellent holes (par 3s are top drawer) if a little flat and bland in places. Condition was superb given the winter we've had. They had lift and place in operation, but I hardly needed it.

It plays quite long.

Re drinking, not sure. The England match was on that day and we left right after golf for high stools in the hotel we were staying in. I didn't notice much around the hotel - it's half suburbia half countryside in location.

Thanks Wobbler, that's good to know about the course. It looks good on the internet but always good to hear from someone that played it.
I'll be cutting it fine for time so I'd probably have to catch the rugby in the club house or hotel. Sure the thirst will be at its mightiest 😛

Muzz

Anyone around the Belfast area know of a golf course that lets non members out on a Saturday?  Struggling to find one at the moment.

Have been told the City of Belfast course at Mullask may let you out but its only 9 holes.

Orior

Like most courses, my own is closed for Members Only on a Saturday, but you might get out late in the afternoon. So if you are looking for a morning round of golf, then no chance.

(Unless you know a member and can spin a yarn that you are thinking of joining - I've done that in the past.)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

Quote from: Muzz on March 24, 2014, 03:56:17 PM
Anyone around the Belfast area know of a golf course that lets non members out on a Saturday?  Struggling to find one at the moment.

Have been told the City of Belfast course at Mullask may let you out but its only 9 holes.

I've got out on Belvoir a few times after 3pm, but that's no good this time a year.

If you can handle a 20-25 min spin go for Hilton Templepatrick. They've only a handful of members so it shouldn't be an issue. Very decent track if a bit soulless, great greens.

Puckoon

How's the spring golf swing treating everyone? We had a mild winter so played most of it, except a few weeks in January.

Swing was in pieces in february but now since daylight savings has the evenings a bit longer Ive been able to hit the range a few night after work. Coming around, if only I could get the putting stroke back.

thewobbler

Also Down Royal is a good test and is good value. Only 20 mins from South Belfast. Heathland course that plays like a links. Looks flat but there's a lot of subtle stuff going on.

JimStynes

Edenmore just outside moira is a good enough course. Half an hour from belfast.

michaelg

Kirkiston Castle on the Ards Peninsula is good at this time of year - Always as dry as a bone.  Spa Golf Club just outside Ballynahinch is a good option too.  Nearer to Belfast (Just outside Carryduff), you also have Rockmount which is not a bad course.  Mahee Island near Comber is a lovely, really cheap nine hole course with amazing views of Strangford Lough.
City of Belfast / Mallusk wouldn't be great I'd imagine.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Puckoon on March 24, 2014, 07:44:21 PM
How's the spring golf swing treating everyone? We had a mild winter so played most of it, except a few weeks in January.

Swing was in pieces in february but now since daylight savings has the evenings a bit longer Ive been able to hit the range a few night after work. Coming around, if only I could get the putting stroke back.
Played my first 18 since Sept on Saturday. Finished 8 over(35pts) with same ball and no double bogeys. Happy enough considering i missed at least 3 inside 4 feet. 38pts won it too.
Re the courses Kirkistown good track. Down Royal bit boring. Ardglass is suposed to be some track anyone played it

JimStynes

Quote from: leaveherinsir on March 24, 2014, 11:09:34 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 24, 2014, 07:44:21 PM

Played my first 18 since Sept on Saturday. Finished 8 over(35pts) with same ball and no double bogeys. Happy enough considering i missed at least 3 inside 4 feet. 38pts won it too.
Re the courses Kirkistown good track. Down Royal bit boring. Ardglass is suposed to be some track anyone played it

Class! I only play it during opens though as its expensive enough green fees. Opening holes are unreal and very tough on a windy day, which is most of the time.

heganboy

Love Ardglass- one of my favorite and most hated places to play golf all at the same time. Bring lots of balls, but leave your testicles at home and manage the course well for a round that won't leave you raging. Stunning though. I have had to play the first tee aiming at about 10.30 (if the hole is at 12) straight out into the water and still landed in the rough about 50 feet to the right of the hole. Wind was flying in strong behind us from about 7 o clock. Not often you get to be pin high off the tee on a 290 yard par 4. Thought the member was off his rocker, only hit it out that far to humor him, turns out it wasn't even far enough...
There's a couple of absolutely phenomenal par 3s as well. An absolute bastard of a course in the wind (most days) 
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Muzz

Thanks for the ideas guys.  As expected most are closed for Saturday until late afternoon at the earliest.

However, I came across this site https://www.golfnow.com/ that allows you to book discounted tee times and a lot of the courses will have availablity on Saturdays.  Need an early tee time so thinking of Blackwood - Temple or Clandeboye.

Covers all of Ireland so may be of use to some looking for cheaper green fees for non members.