The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count 10

Quote from: laoislad on June 30, 2013, 05:26:51 PM
Good win for Paul Casey.  Always liked him delighted to see him win.

+1

Pleased for young Shaw from Lurgan...nice payday.

Applesisapples

Paul Casey was the perfect gentleman on accepting the trophy, did a lot to promote golfing in Ireland to Sky viewers. Fair paly to him.
But what about the clampit who introduced Edna Kenny?

laoislad

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 01, 2013, 11:23:10 AM
Paul Casey was the perfect gentleman on accepting the trophy, did a lot to promote golfing in Ireland to Sky viewers. Fair paly to him.
But what about the clampit who introduced Edna Kenny?

I think Paul Casey's Grandfather was Irish,maybe his Great Grandfather.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Declan

Heading up to Donegal next week to play Portsalon and Rosapenna. Looking forward to it. Any tips ;)??

southdown

Anyone played Ardglass co Down? It's very expensive, is it worth it?

Orior

Quote from: southdown on July 04, 2013, 04:42:35 PM
Anyone played Ardglass co Down? It's very expensive, is it worth it?

Not sure of the price, but I'd not easily give up the chance to play it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Count 10

Quote from: Declan on July 04, 2013, 04:07:37 PM
Heading up to Donegal next week to play Portsalon and Rosapenna. Looking forward to it. Any tips ;)??

Bring plenty of balls ;) Both courses at Rosapena are excellent, Sandy Hills is very tough......enjoy 8)

thewobbler

Ardglass is well worth playing. The opening 5 holes are as good as you'll find.

But I make it overpriced all the same, especially if the 4th and 5th are still on temporaries - they got ruined by sea spray earlier this year. I reckon it's overpriced as it's not pristine and is a long way from anywhere. So your premium is for the views.

Rosapenna is immense, though if truth be told Sandy Hills is a bit unfair. I don't mind losing balls in the rough; you deserve that. But it's the series of raised greens that need attacked with low irons and woods that just put it beyond a golfer like me. But it is a fantastic experience on a stunning layout and worth driving Ireland for. Tom Morris is a pretty decent links too. Doesn't get the pulses racing but a very enjoyable walk, and almost the antidote to Sandy Hill's potential for ruining you.

Declan

Thanks lads - really looking forward to Sandy hills now >:( >:(

Applesisapples

Greenore is lovely at 15 or 20 euro.

Count 10

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 05, 2013, 12:44:41 PM
Greenore is lovely at 15 or 20 euro.

Nice course, beautiful scenery and great food and craic.

Puckoon

Quote from: thewobbler on July 04, 2013, 08:28:22 PM

But I make it overpriced all the same, especially if the 4th and 5th are still on temporaries - they got ruined by sea spray earlier this year. I reckon it's overpriced as it's not pristine and is a long way from anywhere. So your premium is for the views.

Rosapenna is immense, though if truth be told Sandy Hills is a bit unfair. I don't mind losing balls in the rough; you deserve that. But it's the series of raised greens that need attacked with low irons and woods that just put it beyond a golfer like me. But it is a fantastic experience on a stunning layout and worth driving Ireland for. Tom Morris is a pretty decent links too. Doesn't get the pulses racing but a very enjoyable walk, and almost the antidote to Sandy Hill's potential for ruining you.

Aint had the chance to play Rosapenna, but surely there should be a set of tees that accomodate shorter irons into the greens? Courses setting up to force you to play long irons and hybrids and woods into most of the greens are either tipped out for competition, or the average golfer is hitting from the wrong set of tees. Shouldn't have to hit long irons to all holes. One or Two max per round depending on ability and Tee selection.

Count 10

Quote from: Puckoon on July 05, 2013, 04:57:35 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 04, 2013, 08:28:22 PM

Aint had the chance to play Rosapenna, but surely there should be a set of tees that accomodate shorter irons into the greens? Courses setting up to force you to play long irons and hybrids and woods into most of the greens are either tipped out for competition, or the average golfer is hitting from the wrong set of tees. Shouldn't have to hit long irons to all holes. One or Two max per round depending on ability and Tee selection.

Yes Puck, ladies ;) Seriously though even from the green markers it is a severe test of golf....short irons to greens is for tv purposes. No point going to Sandy Hills unless your game is in good shape, Old Tom Morris is excellent and not as demanding. Love going there. 8)     

Puckoon

There's a big push here at least at the minute to have people "Tee it forward". Too many weekend warriors coming out to clubs and wanting to play the tips - and really slowing down the pace of play looking for lost balls.

I think most courses should have 2 long par fours, where havin to lay up is at least an option for the golfer who is thinking course management, a couple mid to long range iron par 4s, and a few par 4s where you can go at it with a 8-W in your hand. One of our toughest holes is a very short (yet not driveable) par 4 with water in front of the green. A 5 iron off the tee (down hill) usually puts your 9 iron or wedge in your hand, yet this par 4 doesn't yield too many 3's.

Courses are getting carried away with thinking harder = better course. I tend to disagree with that, particularly for amateurs who want to enjoy a different course from their home course. There's certainly more ways to challenge the average golfer without resorting to length all the time.

Count 10

Depends what you are after...I love tough tests of golf where there is rough, reward for hitting the fairway etc. Courses are getting longer due to equipment...especially the ball...but agree longer does not necessarily mean tougher. Love  Warrenpoint as I find I have to use nearly every club in the bag....and it isn't particularly long.