The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2013, 06:03:13 AM
Comprehensive piece on why the 'fried chicken' remark is offensive:

In the same way as if it had been Harrington instead of Woods, he might have said, "yeah I'll have him over for dinner and give him a good feed of spuds".

I'd consider both a poor attempt at being witty, drawing on very lazy stereotypes that could potentially cause offence. Not sure how many would be genuinely offended by such comments, I'd guess the most common reaction would be a rolling of the eyes and a thought that the person who made the comment is a feckin eejit.

southdown

Getting harder to like McIlroy, IMHO

brokencrossbar1

I wonder if Sergio will end up like Fuzzy

Orior

Quote from: Hound on May 23, 2013, 08:55:05 AM

In the same way as if it had been Harrington instead of Woods, he might have said, "yeah I'll have him over for dinner and give him a good feed of spuds".

I'd consider both a poor attempt at being witty, drawing on very lazy stereotypes that could potentially cause offence. Not sure how many would be genuinely offended by such comments, I'd guess the most common reaction would be a rolling of the eyes and a thought that the person who made the comment is a feckin eejit.

When our protestant neighbours up here in the occupied six do something stupid they will say "That's Irish". Is that in the same neighbourhood as Sergio's chicken remark?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on May 23, 2013, 10:32:13 AM

When our protestant neighbours up here in the occupied six do something stupid they will say "That's Irish". Is that in the same neighbourhood as Sergio's chicken remark?

How would you feel if Sergio said it about an Irish golfer?
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: screenexile on May 22, 2013, 03:00:40 PM
How long until the "I have lots of black friends" line gets trotted out!

Tour Chief George O'Grady:

"We accept all races on the European Tour - most of Sergio's friends happen to be coloured athletes," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22636894

muppet

Considering the animosity between the pair, it might compare a bit more with Gazza playing the flute.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Quote from: southdown on May 23, 2013, 09:43:28 AM
Getting harder to like McIlroy, IMHO

I hate to agree, but he is certainly making headlines for all the wrong reasons. A year of solid golf and keeping out extra limelight would do him no harm. I've always plumped for GMAC just that little bit more, but McIlroy is really making some strange moves and unnecessary waves right now.

Puckoon

Sergio has been around long enough to know that a fried chicken remark is going to get him in hot water. Unfortunately the racial slur of a fried chicken outweighs that of a mashed spuds remark.

Going by the persona he puts out there I can only imagine he's thouroughly embarrassed by it and it's dented his credibility after he took the high ground at the players. He's another player needs to stay out of the limelight for the wrong reasons.

Fcukin golfers turning into prima donnas. Who'd have thunk it?

HiMucker

http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/5-chickwatermelon/index.html
Cheers for that Muppet.  Until I read that I would have thought it no different to a slur about "stew" to an Irish player.  Good article

muppet

Quote from: HiMucker on May 23, 2013, 06:30:55 PM

http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/5-chickwatermelon/index.html
Cheers for that Muppet.  Until I read that I would have thought it no different to a slur about "stew" to an Irish player.  Good article

Yea, tbh honest I didn't think much of it until I read that article.

Given the animosity between the two and the history of the term 'fried chicken' I find it hard to believe Sergio just accidentally stumbled upon it, but maybe he did. Remember this comment also: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057888/Steve-Williams-racist-comment-Adam-Scott-refuses-sack-Tiger-Woods-ex-caddy.html.

And the Fuzzy Zoeller comment of course.

Golf has a bit of form in this area and given that there are only a few black golfers they should go out of their way to put an end to it.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Ex pals (if you believe the gutter press) McDowell and McIlroy playing together today again.

After both bogeyed the first hole, the chances are high that both will miss the cut.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013038/leaderboard/index.html
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians