The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

This has probably been asked before; what is the best electric trolley in terms of value and performance?

Puckoon

The boul Gmac just got engaged. Nice looking lass too.

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on November 22, 2012, 04:51:58 PM
The boul Gmac just got engaged. Nice looking lass too.
Most men just grow a beard for November,not marry one.... ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Poor Rory.

He won a shed load of money this year but is now faced with having to learn the game again with a new set of golf clubs.

I changed all my clubs 14 months ago and it has taken me that time to get the hang of them. Well, all except the fecking 3-wood and recovery club.

I wonder will Rory take as long as I did?

PS. My current World Ranking is 35,728,899
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

"Poor" is not the word you're looking for

heganboy

Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2012, 12:41:56 PM

He won a shed load of money this year but is now faced with having to learn the game again with a new set of golf clubs.

Hmm, Did you have a team of 4 engineers working with you on demand for 6-9 months in order to get the clubs sorted to your exact preferences, with the likelihood of a new range of clubs being modeled on your choice for the global golf consumer to be launched a year or two later. Going to guess that may have made your job a bit easier...
Also thats all he's going to do. Nike are a 1 sponsor agreement, he cant have additional sponsors so, he has a lot less time constraints for the other engagements he had previously.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Allegedly it takes the average pro and average of 7 swings to figure out how to hit a club which has been designed and produced to be the most difficult club for them to hit based on their measurements.

With this in mind, I think Rory will do alright, provided he doesn't follow tiger in the indiscretion stakes

thewobbler

Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2012, 12:41:56 PM
Poor Rory.

I changed all my clubs 14 months ago and it has taken me that time to get the hang of them. Well, all except the fecking 3-wood and recovery club.

I wonder will Rory take as long as I did?

PS. My current World Ranking is 35,728,899

Although Heganboy has made a fair stab at suggesting otherwise, I think you might be right for a while at least.

My clubs got stolen last October and my new set arrived this time last year. The new set is basically the upgraded versions of everything that got taken, and while the mid irons didn't take long to adjust to, the wedges and woods still break my heart. I was driving as well as I ever had with the Superfast (maybe 1 in 3!) but the Superfast 2.0 ruined whatever game I had. I truly hate it. Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I played a round of golf without using a wood of any description. Easier done on the shorter winter course, but it was so nice to go through a round without 3 of a tee, and coming home without thorns falling out of me!

heganboy

an awful whore of a round yesterday, 3 birdies, 4 pars, and reasonably good putting, I still didn't manage to break 90. making up all sorts of swear words at one point. my own damn fault and some truly awful shot selection. a 10 and a 9 on par 4s don't help...

p.s. thats with my own clubs- my custom made Nike's and my engineers haven't shown up at the house yet.

Puckoon

What is your index Heganboy? Based on Equitable Score Control you probably shouldn't be chalking up 10s and 9s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equitable_score_control

Its amazing how playing a tougher course on a regular basis makes the old index shoot right up. I'm up at 13.7 now since I joined this place. Convinced if I can learn to break 80 on this beast I will be able to break it most places. Currently I'm 3 shots off the pace with my best round.

http://www.somersettgolfandcountryclub.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=310038&ssid=198737&vnf=1

heganboy

Puck,
couldn't have actually posted that score, with the equitable score, but I like to keep an honest score. Usually get stuck down for a 15-18 but I haven't played enough stroke play rounds the last two years to have an official handicap.
I play this fecker http://www.livebayside.com/golf/hole-by-hole-tour.php and Jack owes me a beer next time he sees me...

Puckoon

A lot of water HB, hope you didn't spend too much time near it.

As well as my yearly butchering of my swing I've been working hard on course managment, shot selection etc..

Sometimes the ego has to go in the back pocket and you gotta lay up.

heganboy

first time I played it thinking I was Johnny big balls, i dunked 13 balls in the water  -13 fecking balls!  broke my heart. The clubs nearly went in after them that day.  Thats a nice layout you have there in Somersett- maybe some day we can do a US golf gadderin'
Only place I ever had as much trouble keeping it in play was a miserable sideways rainy day at Lough Erne. Which for the record is a great course, if you ever get the opportunity.

Puckoon

Yes, I've had a couple wish you were (n't) here pictures from the brother and old man, they try and get to Lough Erne few times a year.

Somersett is a beautiful course, was lucky to be a guest there a number of times in the last 3 years, but recently they offered a scorching membership deal that I just couldnt refuse so I took the bait. There is a lot of trouble if you are wayward off the tee - and I tend to be about 3 holes a round. The greens are also horrid, in a good way. Lots of tiers, incredible speed, and a few breaks which you could be forgiven for reading in the absolute other direction.

I heard a great quote the other day regarding laying up and taking the water (or any hazard out of play).

"If you're going to take the hazard out of play, then take it out of play, if you're going to lay up, then lay up" i.e. if its a 7 iron to within 10 yards of the water - take the 8 iron.

leaveherinsir

Think you hit the nail on the head there. The average club golfer doesnt tend to use his brain that well on the course. Of course we all want drives like Rory. And take on that 200 yard carry to reach that par 5 in two etc. Was listenin to D.Clarke talk about Bob Rotella influence on his Open win. Particularly how he cleared his mind to help his puttin. Rotellas book "Golf is not a game of perfect" is a great read for anyone with a passing interest in the mental side of the game and also the importance of the short game. It would have definitely helped me this year when playin competitions. Cut from 9 to 7 without practise.
Played Lough Erne last weekend. Definitely a nice course on the eye. Pros would destroy it i think as few par 4's not long for their standards (2, 10 17), Links course still the best in this country imo tho