The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on September 10, 2012, 07:51:30 PM
Quote from: dec on September 10, 2012, 07:28:01 PM
As mick999 predicted earlier there has been some clarification from Mr McIlroy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2cvSgQCUAEtaX8.jpg:large

Having just won three of my last four tournaments, including a second Major championship, I was hoping that my success on the golf course would be the more popular topic of golfing conversation today. However the issue of my cultural identity has re-emerged, and with it, the matter of my national allegiance ahead of the Rio Olympics in 2016.

The naivety of the kid.

Indicative of the lack of progress to see the posts on regarding his allegience yet not a whisper about his back to back wins, or 3 out of 4 wins vs starts.
f**k up you, we can't be too vociferous in either our condemnation or praise of his recent form until we find out if he is a black bastard or not. You've been away too long....

Puckoon

He's quite obvously a rainbow b**tard. I'm not sure why it is much of a surprise or why it is taking so long to sink in!

Not to mention he's a full generation newer than most of us on here (Hardy being an outlier) so it's a question he probably really doesn't give a fiddlers about. Like many of them that age.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on September 10, 2012, 07:59:14 PM
He's quite obvously a rainbow b**tard. I'm not sure why it is much of a surprise or why it is taking so long to sink in!

Not to mention he's a full generation newer than most of us on here (Hardy being an outlier) so it's a question he probably really doesn't give a fiddlers about. Like many of them that age.
I think his "open letter" was really addressed "Members of the gaaboard"...

Puckoon

Probably cause he was banned from OWC.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

laoislad

Quote from: heganboy on September 10, 2012, 08:25:17 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 10, 2012, 08:03:17 PM
Probably cause he was banned from OWC.

now that was funny...

Not as funny as his after eight mints joke.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

dillinger

Of course when Rio comes along in four years Rory may not be in the top two UK players.

Things change, look at Tiger.  Then he might go for Ireland to get a place. Gmac also may do that.

Dosen't bother me who he plays for.

screenexile

Quote from: Puckoon on September 10, 2012, 08:36:35 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/37865/charl-schwartzel-4-putt-on-video/

Don't know if anyone else saw this - 4 putt from 3 feet.

Saw that live last week . . . glad to see the pro's can have a bad day as well!!

AQMP

Quote from: dillinger on September 10, 2012, 11:29:52 PM
Of course when Rio comes along in four years Rory may not be in the top two UK players.

Things change, look at Tiger.  Then he might go for Ireland to get a place. Gmac also may do that.

Dosen't bother me who he plays for.

That's a good point dillinger.  Golf is a real "head" sport and it's easy to get into a run of poor form.  It has happened to every golf pro at some time or other.

Personally I think we should probably give McIlroy a break here.  He doesn't have to choose right now.  I have always thought that one of the good outcomes of the GFA (among its many flaws) was that of three people living in the same street one could consider himself British, another could consider himself Northern Irish and the third could consider herself Irish...and that was OK.

I'd love McIlroy to represent Ireland but if he wants to play for GB, fair enough.  Best of luck to him. 

I don't see why his reported comments yesterday are such a surprise:

"North Down Catholic says he's British" is not really news ;)

What next?  "Archive papers show Che Guevara may have had left wing sympathies"

Hound

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2012, 02:17:46 PM
Can't imagine the likes of Lee Westwood or Luke Donald or a couple others would be too happy. Given that only 2 golfers are picked per nation for the Olympics I'm sure they were assuming that McIlroy would be playing for Ireland. Now it looks like he wants one of their spots on Team GB.

Good for Harrington though I guess. Probably wouldn't make the team otherwise.

Top 15 in the World Rankings automatically qualify regardless of nationality. The 45 remaining places are filled by people from countries who do not already have 2 representatives.

So if it was based on today, each of McIlroy, Rose, Donald and Westwood would qualify. McDowell would need to be Irish to qualify. McIlroy would need to be British to allow Harrington to qualify!

AQMP

Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2012, 09:22:40 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2012, 02:17:46 PM
Can't imagine the likes of Lee Westwood or Luke Donald or a couple others would be too happy. Given that only 2 golfers are picked per nation for the Olympics I'm sure they were assuming that McIlroy would be playing for Ireland. Now it looks like he wants one of their spots on Team GB.

Good for Harrington though I guess. Probably wouldn't make the team otherwise.

Top 15 in the World Rankings automatically qualify regardless of nationality. The 45 remaining places are filled by people from countries who do not already have 2 representatives.

So if it was based on today, each of McIlroy, Rose, Donald and Westwood would qualify. McDowell would need to be Irish to qualify. McIlroy would need to be British to allow Harrington to qualify!

Hound, did I read somewhere that there will be a maximum of 4 from one country, so say that come selection time there were six Americans in the top 15, only the top 4 of these would qualify (or is that ballix!)?

Hardy

Hey! Whattaya draggin me into this for? If you're looking for a random example of an ouldfella, you have better options available here - Bud, Lar, Drink Your Pints, O'Neill ...

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2012, 10:28:37 AM

Hey! Whattaya draggin me into this for? If you're looking for a random example of an ouldfella, you have better options available here - Bud, Lar, Drink Your Pints, O'Neill ...

I'm offended you've ignored me as an ould fella Hardy and I shall take it up with whatever spurious "equality" body set up after the GFA that protects the rights of oul lads.  Typical "Free Stater I'm alright down here, sure those biys in the North aren't even oul anyway" attitude. 

I can vividly remember black and white telly, Spangles, Michael O'Hehir, shillings and the first pint I ever bought was 38p.  Though I must confess I'm not old enough to remember when Antrim were a force in football.

Orior

Quote from: AQMP on September 11, 2012, 11:39:51 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2012, 10:28:37 AM

I'm offended you've ignored me as an ould fella Hardy and I shall take it up with whatever spurious "equality" body set up after the GFA that protects the rights of oul lads.  Typical "Free Stater I'm alright down here, sure those biys in the North aren't even oul anyway" attitude. 

I can vividly remember black and white telly, Spangles, Michael O'Hehir, shillings and the first pint I ever bought was 38p.  Though I must confess I'm not old enough to remember when Antrim were a force in football.

You're all amateurs. My first trip to Jones Road was in the late 1960's .
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians