The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Quote from: Orior on September 09, 2012, 10:13:11 PM
3 ahead and 2 holes to go. C'mon Rory!

He's looking good for back to back wins all right
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

screenexile

Why all of a sudden are Rory and Tiger big mates??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on September 09, 2012, 10:44:56 PM
Would say Tiger hates him in private.

Orior

I dont think golfers are that shallow. The commentatos were trying to make a thing of Vijay's tantrum with Mickleson from a few years ago, but my guess is that they all get on well enough.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

dillinger

Well done Rory. That boy has it all.

Great ambassador for Northern Ireland/ Ireland. (take your pick)
Tiger getting back into a fair bit of form lately

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on September 09, 2012, 11:32:42 PM
I dont think golfers are that shallow. The commentatos were trying to make a thing of Vijay's tantrum with Mickleson from a few years ago, but my guess is that they all get on well enough.
Really? I would put the farm (if I had one!) on Westwood hating McIlroy. I think that one is a given. These guys are all heavily sponsored professional sportsmen, not a group of mates playing a round. I would say the tour is full of professional rivalries and mutual loathing. McIlroy has been a p***k over the years and made the mistake of pissing people off on the way up. The fellas he shit on wont forget it.

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 09, 2012, 11:04:18 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 09, 2012, 10:44:56 PM
Would say Tiger hates him in private.

Got it!! I think there may be something in this though as Tiger very rarely 'bigs up' other golfers but he was interviewed today and was talking about 'The Rory Show' wee could see the wee man decked out in the swoosh soon enough!

http://www.golfwrx.com/38595/rumor-rory-to-join-nike-five-reasons-it-could-happen/

highorlow

QuoteGreat ambassador for Northern Ireland/ Ireland. (take your pick)

No. He has taken his. He feels more British than Irish. Hard to understand considering all the help he got from the GUI over the years.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

glens abu

Quote from: highorlow on September 10, 2012, 09:56:50 AM

No. He has taken his. He feels more British than Irish. Hard to understand considering all the help he got from the GUI over the years.

Did he say that?

Tubberman

Quote from: glens abu on September 10, 2012, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: highorlow on September 10, 2012, 09:56:50 AM

Did he say that?

Yes. It's in today's "Irish Daily Mail" and is also reported on ESPN: http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/169503.html.

Obviously it's his own choice, but I'd be disappointed in him considering i) his family history, ii) the fact that the GUI is a 32-county organisation that he has played under, and iii) the OCI is also a 32 county organisation.
If he didn't want to ruffle any feathers, he had more reasons to represent Team Ireland rather than Team GB.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

QuoteDid he say that?

I'm afraid he did. I knew my eyes weren't deceiving me when I saw a pair of red, white and blue shoes on him at the West of Ireland in Sligo a few years ago.

I'd say he feels more GB£££££ rather than GB.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Dinny Breen

Quote from: highorlow on September 10, 2012, 10:49:46 AM
QuoteDid he say that?

I'm afraid he did. I knew my eyes weren't deceiving me when I saw a pair of red, white and blue shoes on him at the West of Ireland in Sligo a few years ago.

Yep that's the key, he'd be a more valuable asset for sponsors if he was British rather than Irish.

But who gives a shit, as long as he is comfortable in his own identity best of luck to him.
#newbridgeornowhere

Franko

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
QuoteDid he say that?

Yep that's the key, he'd be a more valuable asset for sponsors if he was British rather than Irish.

But who gives a shit, as long as he is comfortable in his own identity best of luck to him.

Genuine question Dinny - What makes you think this?  I would have thought the all-conquering hero from li'l ole Ireland whould have been just as marketable as the British variant - a Usain Bolt/Jamaica type of thing?

glens abu

QuoteDid he say that?

Thats a  pity I always enjoyed watching him play and wanted him to win,but to be honest it doesn't surprise me a great deal as I know his best friends family very well and that would be their thinking also.

Tubberman

Quote from: Franko on September 10, 2012, 11:17:16 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
QuoteDid he say that?

Genuine question Dinny - What makes you think this?  I would have thought the all-conquering hero from li'l ole Ireland whould have been just as marketable as the British variant - a Usain Bolt/Jamaica type of thing?

I don't sponsorship has a lot to do with it either. Rather than Team GB being able to attract more sponsorship for McIlroy, it's far more likely to be the other way around.
McIlroy is already a golf superstar, and his star could have risen even more in 4 years time. So sponsors will be chasing him and whatever team he represents.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."