Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

rosnarun

as for other replies lots of abuse and questioning of motives and draggin politics into (which i hasn't mention since derry ) But not attempted defence of o maheny/ wonder why....
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2007, 12:49:53 PM
as for other replies lots of abuse and questioning of motives and draggin politics into (which i hasn't mention since derry ) But not attempted defence of o maheny/ wonder why....

If ya dropped the political anti-Fine Gael crap people might address the subject of management.

I depite what you may think disagreed with the manner that Moran & Morrison where got rid of, but it is time to build & we will never get the process started if we don't cop the feck on and realise Sam at best is 3 years away. Are we going to sack John O'Mahoney because of this year, when will it stop. I think I read somewhere, that Mayo have had more management changes over the last 25 years than Manchester City.

Rua Gael

mayo are out, get over it people

intoDwest

Did you just register to tell us that??? Thanks for the info.

Fishead_Sam

Mayo are never out, just regrouping, smell the fear  :D

rosnarun

I still havent heard one positive argument as to what good he has done. why should sam be 3 years away we were in 2 of the last 3 finals. we have a good supply  of u-21's coming through a huge resivoir of club players and a passion/desire/need within the county few others can match . we also have the countries best player in Ciaran Mcdonald ,
JOM had one huge advantage over recent Mayo manager in that he truly had the pick of the counties best playr un like others inrecent years , Tmort d brady CMcD all have had  limited involvement in the last few championships but o mahoney failed to bring the best out of them and ignored /Under used real talents such as K omalley gardiner kilcoyne d geraghty and Marty Mcnicholas and used 2 of his own clubmen who are far fromready for the fray.
ANd worst of all hes seem incapable of motivating this team which prev was never even an issue . do you think omanhonies team would have made that comback against dublin last year  based on last weeks perforance against what will prove to be a poor derry team, not a chance
What this Guy used to have he shouwed no signs of it this year.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2007, 03:25:01 PM
I still havent heard one positive argument as to what good he has done. why should sam be 3 years away we were in 2 of the last 3 finals. we have a good supply  of u-21's coming through a huge resivoir of club players and a passion/desire/need within the county few others can match . we also have the countries best player in Ciaran Mcdonald ,
JOM had one huge advantage over recent Mayo manager in that he truly had the pick of the counties best playr un like others inrecent years , Tmort d brady CMcD all have had  limited involvement in the last few championships but o mahoney failed to bring the best out of them and ignored /Under used real talents such as K omalley gardiner kilcoyne d geraghty and Marty Mcnicholas and used 2 of his own clubmen who are far fromready for the fray.
ANd worst of all hes seem incapable of motivating this team which prev was never even an issue . do you think omanhonies team would have made that comback against dublin last year  based on last weeks perforance against what will prove to be a poor derry team, not a chance

Maybe our county's best arent good enough, i think the victory against Dublin had more to do with Dublin collapsing than with Mayo coming back from the dead.Also a lot of that team were in the last chance saloon when it came to All-Ireland medals and they fought one last fight. It didnt matter who was in charge this year, the players simply have too many miles on the clock without any time away from football and the appetite for the fight was gone. What proved it to me was Trevor Mort. in the championship this year,he was like a new man becuase of the little amount of football he played last year. It just seems we are going round in circles with this debate now.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 18, 2007, 03:51:18 PM

Maybe our county's best arent good enough, i think the victory against Dublin had more to do with Dublin collapsing than with Mayo coming back from the dead.Also a lot of that team were in the last chance saloon when it came to All-Ireland medals and they fought one last fight. It didnt matter who was in charge this year, the players simply have too many miles on the clock without any time away from football and the appetite for the fight was gone. What proved it to me was Trevor Mort. in the championship this year,he was like a new man becuase of the little amount of football he played last year. It just seems we are going round in circles with this debate now.

An gaeilgoir could you tell me apart from david brady how many players that started against derry had too many miles on the clock?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fishead_Sam

1. The players for one are all a year older than last year.
2. Ciaran McDonald is NOT the countries best player.
3. Peadar Gardiner is a back who can attack but not defend.
4. Geraghty is far too small.
5. Kenneth O'Malley is just coming back from injury.
6. Kilcoyne is an excellent forward, but as of yet he never tracks back to help with the defence, O'Mahoney is trying to train him to do this & rest assured once he improves in this aspect he will be playing alot.
7. Marty Mac is a great talent, but he needs to show it more at County level when he gets yet another shot.
8. David Brady is no longer anything more than a bit player, & he has not been @ his best of late.
9. Our midfield is seriously crippled in comparrison to 2004 & 2006 because of Ronan McGarritys illness.
10. Under-21s dont suddenly become great Senior players without time & coaching.
11. Our so called traditional style of football has not delivered an All-Ireland in 56 going on 57 years.
12. O'Mahoney has set up shadow panels who are all on skills, weight training and correct diets, it will show over the next two years.
13. In reality I'm sure Moran & Morrison are looking @ their harsh treatment as a blessing in disguise.
14. We tried players that looked great in the Club Championship such as Devanney, he wasn't up to the pace.
15. Keith Higgins was a massive loss (more so to the hurlers)
16. A new set of players take time to gel together.
17. Drop the Political Bullshit & people might take your football related argument more seriously.

Pietas

While I'm prepared to acknowledge that you're consistent, you are descending into a desparate rant here.   For starters, T Mort had a good year and McDonald hasn't effectively got over the injury sustained before last year's AIF.  Gardiner is limited defensively.  McGarrity's difficulties are well known.

It's simplistic in the extreme to think that just because Mayo played in the All-Ireland final last year they should go on and perform to the same level this year because we have a new manager, with a good track record, at the helm. I can't disagree that his eye might have been off the ball until after the election.

I understand your frustration, but what's another year or two after over half a century without Sam?  Mayo had fundamental problems last season which weren't shown up until Kerry rolled over them.  That could well have happened again this year.

Would you have preferred that outcome to our season?  Another All-Ireland humiliation.  Would you really prefer that to an exit through the backdoor.

How did exactly did Moran engineer Mayo to come from seven points down against Dublin? Had Jason Sherlock not hit the crossbar in the first-half Mayo would have been ten points down and out the door.

There isn't another country in Ireland (bar Kerry) what wouldn't take on O'Mahony.  Your constant references to his job and political affiliation suggest you are motivated than something other than football.

O'Mahony is as shrewd as they come and is probably hurting over this defeat.  As a, TD it's not as if he can keep his head down.  He will now go away and plan for the future with the meticulousness for which he is renowed. Remember, if he doesn't land Sam, the Mayo football public willl show him what they think of that when they go to vote at the next General Election

My personal preference is that this is done without Conor Mortimer if he continues in his current vein of form.  One point from a free is a shocking return for someone once rated as one of the best fowards in the country, but that type of display is not limited to the O'Mahony regieme.

Regardless of what one thinks of the manger, it's time to look to the long-term.

In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

OirthearMhaigheo

Ros, it is pointless trying to explain a positive argument to you when A) you won't listen to it and B) your own argument is as one-sided and bias as above. You refuse to take into account the fact that the players O'Mahoney took on were even more scarred than those Moran inherited. Last years final was an absolute humiliation, it set us back a long long way, even further than we thought at the time. What is the point discussing the Dublin comeback now? the Kerry slaughter happened afterwards and is more relevant at this stage. O'Mahoney didn't have a good year, that speaks for itself, but when the writing was really on the wall, he started to rebuild. You won't accept that he was right to let the older lads have one more go against Galway. Most of us think he was right to give them another shot, they failed, so he re-jigged the team in the middle of the c'ship. This appeared a bit daft yes, but I think he realised it's better to look to the future straight away. The re-building has now started for 2008, not that he deliberately wanted to go out of the 2007 c'ship, but when you realise mid-stream that the crew on board don't have what it takes, better to get the right men in at some stage. Ciaran Mac was the best player in the country in 2004, not since then can we genuinely argue he is anymore. I agree with Fishead Sam on Gardiner and Geraghty, just not up to it. You simply won't accept that alot of forces were against Johnno this year, all this crap about him inheriting a great bunch of players is a load of sh1te, some of them were great but don't have it in the heads or legs anymore. The U-21s are the future but it will take time to get them up to the standard. A summer off will do all of them alot of good, they just don't have the desire and even a coach as brillant as O'Mahoney can't make them want it. If we are still having this discussion in a years time you may have a point, I am going to wait until next season before casting judgement, by which time I expect us to be a serious outfit again and having a genuine cut at chasing Sam. This year like 2005 is a hangover year in my opinion, it will pass and we will come back stronger. If you want to keep going round in circles in the mean-time bringing up the same old arguments be my guest.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 18, 2007, 04:06:07 PM

1. The players for one are all a year older than last year.
2. Ciaran McDonald is NOT the countries best player.
3. Peadar Gardiner is a back who can attack but not defend.
4. Geraghty is far too small.
5. Kenneth O'Malley is just coming back from injury.
6. Kilcoyne is an excellent forward, but as of yet he never tracks back to help with the defence, O'Mahoney is trying to train him to do this & rest assured once he improves in this aspect he will be playing alot.
7. Marty Mac is a great talent, but he needs to show it more at County level when he gets yet another shot.
8. David Brady is no longer anything more than a bit player, & he has not been @ his best of late.
9. Our midfield is seriously crippled in comparrison to 2004 & 2006 because of Ronan McGarritys illness.
10. Under-21s dont suddenly become great Senior players without time & coaching.
11. Our so called traditional style of football has not delivered an All-Ireland in 56 going on 57 years.
12. O'Mahoney has set up shadow panels who are all on skills, weight training and correct diets, it will show over the next two years.
13. In reality I'm sure Moran & Morrison are looking @ their harsh treatment as a blessing in disguise.
14. We tried players that looked great in the Club Championship such as Devanney, he wasn't up to the pace.
15. Keith Higgins was a massive loss (more so to the hurlers)
16. A new set of players take time to gel together.
17. Drop the Political Bullshit & people might take your football related argument more seriously.

Great post

Barney

Ok lets manipulate the stats a bit in favour of Rosnarun. John O'Mahony was involved in 5 championship matches in his last two championship season, one with Galway, the other with Mayo. Results - lost to Mayo by 6, beat one of the poorest Louth teams to play the game, lost to Tyrone by 7/8 points, thrahsed by Galway by 7 points, beat an awful Cavan team, lost to Derry by 10 points. Hardly inspiring stuff.

BUT it is the long-term programmes that we are told, and know are being put in place that makes people happy to stick with this project. He was on Newstalk last night and said that he will have the young players back sooner rather than later. You cannot be thrashed in two All Irelands within 3 years and just ignore the real facts. You lose out for a reason. We were way off the pace and was it not for being lucky enough to draw Fermanagh, and getting a run on the Dubs those days may never have come.

Now to the nonsense. Firstly Peadar Gardiner cannot defend, but putting him up front is ridiculous. He cannot kick the ball. A bit of a problem. He is just one of our players that has this problem. Technical deficiencies must be overcome if we are to achieve anything, and that starts with the very basics of the game.

Direction must also be brought to our game. It should be carefully structured. Part of the problem with our team and our defending is an unwillingness to work. Have the players that dying ambition to win an All Ireland, or to succeed to reach their maximum ability? I don't know. There is no reason why the work ethic of a team like Tyrone cannot be introduced to our play. If you don't have it you are of flawed character when it comes to playing football. You look at our lads after they concede scores, miss points. They are running around like the proverbial sheep, nobody cajoling, leading.

We need to be metronomical in our play. If there is a free in area X it should be taken by player Y. Every contingency should be planned for. This takes time. On Saturday numerous times David Brady and Trevor Mortimer wasted possession from dead balls kicked aimlessly. There was no direction. David Brady has been a great player for the county, as have many of the older lads, but do they want to take direction? Will they listen?

I truely believe that if you become so analytical about your play and introduce that work ethic to your training, all preparation and your game, the true skills will emerge.

If any of us are realistic, even in hindsight, the year was going to come to a sudden and painful end. We blooded three 19 year olds who did not play any intercounty football this year. Criticisms of Cunniffe, Kilcullen or Hanley are unfair. They were learning their trade against players that had years of experience and full season of training ahead of them. You can't just throw fifteen fellas together in July and not expect to be caught out. JOM knew that was going to happen, whatever you say about him he is nobody's fool.

And so the meticulousness that I mention is something that JOM is renowned for. He has started the ball rolling. A purge of last Summers heroes would not have been easily swallowed last February.The evidence is there to do that now albeit that a degree of change could have started by having some younger players as subs.

The political issue is pertinent. It did interfere with arrangements for Salthill. There can be little doubt about that. But that is understandable. I don't agree with the way Moran was fired. I do believe that it was an appointment of convenience for both JOM and the County Board who have blue leanings. However the election is over. Many wanted this man in the job for years. He took over an over-achieving team who even at their peak under JOM would probably have struggle to win All irelands without the two or three top-class forwards needed to lead a championship winning side. The time for bitching is done. I'm going to place my trust in the man. I do believe in some of the young lads and I hope that a burning desire to succeed will mean that come 2009 or 2010 a town full of Roscommon men will have to spend 12 months looking at the TD living at the edge of the town polishing Sam Maguire every Monday morning before he packs his bags for another week serving his constituents. And if he was to achieve the ultimate John O'Mahony would have done more for the county of Mayo than any politican could ever achieve. The desparation for an All Ireland in the county is crippling at this point in time. I hope we have the coolest head at the helm who will stick with the job and be patient and see it through with that touch of luck that will be needed.

mayoman dan

Tubberman

Barney, you wrote what I wanted to say, but couldn't put into words! Fair play to you.
Hopefully that's the end of the discussion now, JOM an plan for next year, and we can all turn to the club championships.
I think we've taken up enough of this thread - the poor Derry lads have hardly got a word in  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."