Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2011, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: spuds on February 02, 2011, 02:19:57 PM
From Mayo gaa on Bookface

QuoteMayo Senior Football Team, starting 15 to face Down in Allianz Football League Opener:
1) Kenneth O'Malley, 2) Tom Cunniffe, 3) Cathal Hallinan, 4) Keith Higgins, 5) Richie Feeney, 6) Ger Cafferkey, 7) Kevin McLoughlin, 8) Ronan McGarrity, 9) Jason Gibbons, 10) Andy Moran, 11) Aidan O'Shea, 12) Alan Dillon, 13) Enda Varley, 14) Alan Freeman, 15) Mark Ronaldson.

Hmm.........will the back 6 actually line out like that or am I too used to Johnno's switches?

Nice team though. Halilinan, Feeney, Gibbons and Varley get their chance while Ronnie, Ronan McG, Alan Freeman, Tom Cunniffe and co get to start the Horan era in the jersey. Presumably if they deliver they will hang onto those jerseys.

As an aside, are the rumours regarding Conor Mort being out for the season true? Big loss no matter what anyone says.

The C Mort story is more than a rumour muppet - he's definitely out. He even gave an interview to the Indo about it a few days ago. He's a loss alright, but it will have far less of an impact this year than say 4 years ago. I don't think people will be thinking to themselves "If only we had Conor Mort, it would have been a different result".

The defensive line-up is very interesting - not sure if it will line-out like that, will have to wait until Sat evening to be sure.
Hallinan has played at corner-back in the games up to now (apart from a few mins at the end of the Ros match). It's a massive vote of confidence in him by Horan if he starts at FB. But he's a real defender - doesn't give his man an inch, and is well capable of dispossessing.
I don't think I've ever seen Tom Cunniffe at corner-back, possibly a switch between himself and Richie Feeney on the cards there. Ger Caff has another chance to show what he can do at CHB, hope Moysider's opinion is shown to be true!

Delighted to see Jason Gibbons in midfield alongside McGarrity. Think that could be an excellent pairing. Two good fielders, and both able to kick a ball. Possibly not great at the breaking ball, but we'll see.

The front six looks very strong. Andy Moran possibly a bit lucky to get the start on the wing - Campbell/Kilcoyne/C Freeman would all have been looking to start in that line.
I really like the inside forward line. Varley and Ronaldson will run all day, making themselves available for fast ball. Freeman can win the high ball or break it down to the other two.

There really is an awful lot to make you look forward to Sat night!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

western exile

I think they will line out like that, as I think it is a "horses for courses" selection.  Marty Clarke usually lines out at 15 but plays as a roving extra half forward. Conniffe will follow him leaving Higgins and Hallinan to pick up the two Down forwards left inside, Coulter and A.N.Other (probably John Clarke or Ronan Murtagh)

muppet

Quote from: western exile on February 02, 2011, 03:05:41 PM

I think they will line out like that, as I think it is a "horses for courses" selection.  Marty Clarke usually lines out at 15 but plays as a roving extra half forward. Conniffe will follow him leaving Higgins and Hallinan to pick up the two Down forwards left inside, Coulter and A.N.Other (probably John Clarke or Ronan Murtagh)

Very good, Cunniffe marked him in the 2005 minor final.
MWWSI 2017

western exile

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2011, 03:16:01 PM

This game could also be an opportunity for Aidan O'Sé to renew an acquittance with Peter Fitzpatrick who made him look ordinary in the 2009 All-Ireland U21 semi-final.

RedandGreenSniper

And Cunniffe did reasonably well on him that day too. Good point westernexile. C Mort is a loss in a lot of ways. Lads might question his team ethic etc but I saw on The Mayo News that he has scored 14-359 for Mayo. Serious going. I'm not sure that he'd be a definite starter this year but I'd be confident that he would only start if he played as part of a forward unit, otherwise Horan would drop him. Given that assumption, he's a big loss to Horan. Incredible that he was playing for a few years with no cruciate in his left knee.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

southsider

Alot can happen in 5 years!

moysider

Swinford's Colin Dempsey got good reviews from the U21 match v Cork at the weekend. What do we know about him? How good is he and can he break into the senior set up sooner than later?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on February 16, 2011, 09:58:26 PM

Swinford's Colin Dempsey got good reviews from the U21 match v Cork at the weekend. What do we know about him? How good is he and can he break into the senior set up sooner than later?

Whoaa says Dan! Early doors yet. He is a big, strong ball winner. Not terribly mobile if I recall correctly. Might make the Under 21 starting team but there's not a lot of forwards available this year. He hasn't played any county ball before this year as far as I know.

Chimley

I read somewhere that we shipped 17 points from play against Cork. Doesn't sound promising for a bunch of players that got to 2 minor finals and should have been 3.

AbbeySider

Based on one performance on a team that got hammered by 17 points? Its a bit premature Moy!

Is there a GAA Board version of being frapped in the facebook sense?  ;)

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 18, 2011, 02:57:21 PM

Based on one performance on a team that got hammered by 17 points? Its a bit premature Moy!

They only lost by a point. Just wonderin about this guy? Never say him play but he was very impressive by all accounts. Sniper reckons that he is a big strong ball winner but not very mobile while a clubman of his tells me he is medium sized and fast?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on February 18, 2011, 05:11:23 PM

They only lost by a point. Just wonderin about this guy? Never say him play but he was very impressive by all accounts. Sniper reckons that he is a big strong ball winner but not very mobile while a clubman of his tells me he is medium sized and fast?

I'm relying on second hand info from the Cork game and my own recollection of him when he was minor. Maybe the clubman is right. If so I might need a trip to the doc's!

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 18, 2011, 05:15:44 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 18, 2011, 05:11:23 PM

I'm relying on second hand info from the Cork game and my own recollection of him when he was minor. Maybe the clubman is right. If so I might need a trip to the doc's!

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

RedandGreenSniper

The Mayo GAA Strategic Action Plan was launched last night. A very interesting document which, if passed, I think can change Mayo GAA much for the better.

Some of the key outcomes include:

a independent and professional financial review to be undertaken which will review the financial dealings of 2008-2010 in order to formulate a five year financial plan.

a full-time, paid director of football coaching be created to develop an overall coaching strategy, among many other things. Position to be filled by open interview.

A full-time, paid Commercial Director be appointed which will have overall responsibility for day to day management for the commercial, financial, fundraising and marketing activities of Mayo GAA.

That a Mayo Gaelic Football Academey be established for the high potential players in the 18-22 age-group.

To activate a worldwide Mayo GAA supporters club to harness the goodwill beyond the county.

The report is very thorough and it looks like a lot of good work has went into it. The County Board are believed to be hostile towards it, mainly because, I would say, their financial dealings of the last two years might be examined (not that anything corrupt happened, but I think it could show how haphazzard affairs were. The clubs of the county have two weeks to discuss this before their delegates vote on it at the next meeting of the county board. If any club really cares about the future of the game in the county, then I suggest that they have a full meeting to discuss the document because now is the time to act.

I've a copy of the document. If anyone wants one, PM me and I'll mail it on.

EDIT: I see the great Willie Joe has put the report on an online link for anyone that wants to view it. Link is http://www.box.net/shared/c620qpvvyt

REDCOL

Good to see the report printed, interesting to note half the clubs in the county did not bother to cooperate with the committee. It shows a sense of apathy towards the whole project, hopefully some good points will be taken on board and acted upon. From first reading it seems to have a huge focus on finances, and very little on rural depopulation. They are a liitle frustrated by the lack of information given on finance by the county board.