Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: southsider on January 23, 2011, 09:10:06 PM
stand out players versus roscommon in backline were killeen & higgins. killen marking shine and totally negated nullified him in second half. forwards - freeman, ronaldson and varley did well. freeman very intelligent use of ball. varley did well on a serious roscommon corner back and ronaldson was his usual busy and productive self.
I think the performance of Killeen is being somewhat exaggerated. Bearing in mind the whole defence, Killeen included, had a bad first half, and Donal Shine did not play the last quarter due to injury, Killeen had the better of him for at most 10 or 15 minutes of the game.
As I said in the other thread, he did do some full back duties very well, but made just as many mistakes. He had potential, but still a work in progress.

moysider

Looks like Horan has to pick a 30 man panel for NFL and is going to do so next week. Croke Park regulations I suppose. I wonder is it revisable during the campaign. I recall Horan saying that he was keeping the panel open ended. He still has a hell of a job paring it back to 30 at this stage. Anybody care to pick their 30? We ll wait until after the Leitrim match on Sunday?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 27, 2011, 12:27:40 AM
Looks like Horan has to pick a 30 man panel for NFL and is going to do so next week. Croke Park regulations I suppose. I wonder is it revisable during the campaign. I recall Horan saying that he was keeping the panel open ended. He still has a hell of a job paring it back to 30 at this stage. Anybody care to pick their 30? We ll wait until after the Leitrim match on Sunday?

I'd do well to pick fifteen definites thus far. Will be hard to cut it back that much so far. Look at the two fifteens that have started so far, add in Peadar Gardiner, Alan Dillon, Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty, Kevin McLoughlin, Robert Hennelly, Aidan O'Shea, Alan Freeman, Tom Cunniffe, Shane Nally, Tom Parsons, Donie Vaughan, Seamie O'Shea, Jason Gibbons, Pat Harte, the Mortimers, Liam O'Malley etc. I'm not saying all of these should be in but they are in consideration, will be very hard to trim this extended panel. Maybe the Under 21 campaign will help him out in a few cases?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 27, 2011, 12:55:20 AM

I'd do well to pick fifteen definites thus far. Will be hard to cut it back that much so far. Look at the two fifteens that have started so far, add in Peadar Gardiner, Alan Dillon, Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty, Kevin McLoughlin, Robert Hennelly, Aidan O'Shea, Alan Freeman, Tom Cunniffe, Shane Nally, Tom Parsons, Donie Vaughan, Seamie O'Shea, Jason Gibbons, Pat Harte, the Mortimers, Liam O'Malley etc. I'm not saying all of these should be in but they are in consideration, will be very hard to trim this extended panel. Maybe the Under 21 campaign will help him out in a few cases?

Has Pat Harte not a cruciate knee ligament injury since late august? Id say you can take him off that list.
Also I dont think Liam O Malley has togged for any team this year due to injury so I dont think he is in contention.
I could say the same for Parsons as he is supposedly injured too.
Is Robert Hennelly playing Sigerson with anyone? Id say Clarke and O Malley have the position between the sticks wrapped up.
Donal Vaughan has a groin injury (Gilmore groin) and needs an operation, cant see him back for the NFL.
Trevour Mortimor is travelling in India/Asia AFAIA and Connor has a cruciate knee injury so that cuts your list down a bit.
Also I hear Shane Nally isnt making his Sigerson team.

Id say the list of guys in contention looks like this:

Peadar Gardiner
Alan Dillon
Neil Douglas
Jason Doherty
Kevin McLoughlin
Aidan O'Shea
Alan Freeman
Tom Cunniffe
Seamie O'Shea
Jason Gibbons

AbbeySider

Ok Moy, im having a slow morning at work so here is my tuppence worth...

Note: We have yet to see Jason Gibbons, Kevin Keane(?) and a couple more in action, and we have yet to see how the team against Leitrim performs at the weekend.

However, in a panel of 30 I think the management would be looking at having 12 backs, 12 forwards, 4 midfielders and 2 keepers.

They should also keep about 6 players outside of the 30 involved for training games and backup that would be close to the panel.

I also think we could see a couple of additions to the panel before the championship, with guys coming back from injury, and others being dropped or getting injured and things like that.

But just judging by what we have seen so far, and using my own judgement on a couple of players (like Jason Gibbons and Richie Feeney), I think the panel could be shaping up as follows:

(panel of 30, numbered in no particular order. About 9-10 additions from last year)

Strong Possibilities
1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
2. Kenneth O'Malley (Ballinrobe)

3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
4. Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
5. Cathal Hallinan (Ballintubber)
6. Richie Feeney (Castlebar)
7. Trevor Howley (Knockmore)
8. Peadar Gardiner (Crossmolina)
9. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
10. James Burke (Ballymun)

15. Ronan McGarrity (Ballina Stephenites)
16. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber)
17. James Kilcullen (Ballaghaderreen)

19. Aidan Campbell (Swinford)
20. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
21. Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
22. Enda Varley (Garrymore)
23. Mark Ronaldson (Shrule Glencorrib)
24. Neil Douglas (Castlebar)
25. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
26. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
27. Alan Freeman (Aughamore)
28. Aidan Kilcoyne (Knockmore)
29. Cillian O Connor (Ballintubber)
30. Cathal Freeman (Aghamore)

Possibilities
Seamie O'Shea (Breaffy)
Barry Moran (Castlebar Mitchels)
James Moran (Burrishoole)
David Killeen (Ballinrobe)
Lee Keegan (Westport)
Alan Feeney (Castlebar Mitchels)
Michael Nestor (Ballintubber)
Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar Mitchels)
Ruaidhri O Connor (Ballintubber)
Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe) (inj?)
Austin O'Malley (Dublin)

Maybes
Robert Hennelly (Breaffy)
Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
Eoghan Reilly (Castlebar)
Andrew Farrell (Killala)
Brian Benson (Crossmolina)
Ian Rowland (Crossmolina)
Kevin Keane (Westport)

Maybe Not's
Kevin Dolan (Tourmakeady) (inj?)
Tom Parsons (Charlestown) (inj?)
Liam O Malley (Burrishoole) (inj)
Connor Mortimor (Shrule Glencorrib) (inj?)
Trevor Mortimor (Shrule Glencorrib) (away?)

[ if I blatantly left anyone out its not deliberate, the above is off the top of my head and would be very subject to change ]

RedandGreenSniper

Interesting list AbbeySider. I'll opt out of picking right now because it is hard to know what some players circumstances are (I don't know when Trevor Mort is back and what the full story is with his brother, for instance). But when you throw in all the names we have so far, there are gonna be a lot of disappointed people not making the cut who will not be far away from it at all. There is little doubt there are plenty of panel level footballers in Mayo, the next test for management is finding out how many new players are good enough to be of starting fifteen standard.

Regarding Robert Hennelly, he was sub to Donegal's Michael Boyle at DCU afaik. Maybe I would say this but he would be well ahead of Kenny O'Malley for me, who didn't have an exceptional performance on Sunday last. But, like I said before, the Under 21 championship could be a convenient get-out clause on him and a few more.

Does Horan have to pick his thirty because of Croke Park instructions? Because that is the only reason I can see him doing it at this stage, very early for a lot of the new lads who are borderline to be either in or out.

On Kevin Keane, he's playing with Sligo IT in the FBD. Parsons is on that panel too (Sligo) but is out with a groin injury. Seamie O'Shea and Donie Vaughan are both injured. Not sure for how long.

Chimley

What's going on here? We have too many forwards to choose from. You'd do well to pare any of the 12 that Abbeysider has listed and you must consider the two Morts are not available and Austy seems to be in contention too. S O Sé is another who played CHF last year and Pat Harte will be back at some stage.
It might be a sign that they are all good enough to a point but we have no outstanding talent.
In any case, Horan will have his work cut out keeping that lot motivated and involved.

Zulu

Why would you pick Austin O'Malley, or Trevor Mort? If, as seems to be the case, you have a lot of forwards of similar ability why pick older lads who have been shown to be shy of the necessary level to win All Irelands? Is it not time to be brave and bold here? Mayo won't win the All Ireland this year so why not go with younger players in the main, especially if the older alternatives aren't significantly better and let them grow together so that they might be able to challenge for the biggest prize in two or three years? That's not to say you are writing off the next two years but since you won't win one with O'Malley and Trev Mort in the front six why not have Cillian O'Connor, the Freeman's, Varley etc. battling for the places along with the better older players?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Chimley on January 27, 2011, 04:17:54 PM
What's going on here? We have too many forwards to choose from. You'd do well to pare any of the 12 that Abbeysider has listed and you must consider the two Morts are not available and Austy seems to be in contention too. S O Sé is another who played CHF last year and Pat Harte will be back at some stage.
It might be a sign that they are all good enough to a point but we have no outstanding talent.
In any case, Horan will have his work cut out keeping that lot motivated and involved.

Too many forwards to choose from. I'm nearly two score years roaming the Earth Chimley, old stock, and this is the first year in my memory that Mayo have had too many forwards to choose from.

Roll on the Down game.

AbbeySider

My selections was just guessing and speculation so it could look very different when the time comes to pick a panel as we dont know how form is at training.

Im not sure the story with S O Shea's injury or when he will be back, but id like to see him included as he was one of our most consistent players through the league last year. I thought he was also very unlucky to get substituted against Sligo in the championship as I thought he was one of the better Mayo players that day. In fact, (R&GS will disagree) IMO with S O Shea's workrate around the middle, his tackling and brake winning ability he is a player that I would like to see tried at CHB, as he is a serious stopper but I doint think we will ever see it. It will take Harte a while to get right after a cruciate operation but he could make an appearance later in the season.

I wouldnt agree that the choice of forwards is indicating that we have no outstanding talent. All the forwards I named have got what it takes and are great players on their day. My only concern is that a couple of them are going too well for the time of year and could hold a false promise. What I mean is, some players being so fit and peaking this time of year while others (incl the opposition) are only getting fit may not be ideal as when the ground hardens up, and others catch up with fitness its possible that the Mayo forward line would look very different from what we will see in the NFL and FBD.

Also, when you think about it, having so many players playing Sigerson is not always the ideal either. Its a very, very long year for some players who would have had a very hard winters training with their colleges, followed by a hard late winter / early spring training with the county, followed by a hard early to mid summer training again with the county. I know that kind of thing takes its toll on the body, and it something I have heard from players as well as read from the likes of Andy Moran about just being burnt out and feeling tired when you should be peaking.

RedandGreenSniper

AbbeySider, I wouldn't necessarily disagree about Seamie O'Shea at chb, but it would be a position he hasn't played in before and would require a marking role that he hasn't always had to contend with. Anyway, interesting to see Ger Caff picked at six for Sunday. Mayo team below. Moysider has had his way  :P

Mayo Team as follows:

1)   Kenneth O'Malley   Ballinrobe
2)   Cathal Hallinan   Ballintubber
3)   Alan Feeney   Castlebar Mitchels
4)   Richie Feeney   Castlebar Mitchels
5)   Chris Barrett   Belmullet
6)   Ger Cafferkey   Ballina Stephenites
7)   James Burke   Ballymun Kickhams
8   Jason Gibbons   Ballintubber
9)   James Moran   Burrishoole
10)   Aidan Campbell   Swinford
11)   Austin O'Malley   St. Vincents
12)   Andy Moran (Capt.)   Ballaghaderreen
13)   Aidan Kilcoyne   Knockmore
14)   Alan Freeman   Aghamore
15)   Brian Benson   Crossmolina

ludermor

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 27, 2011, 04:56:42 PM

I wouldnt agree that the choice of forwards is indicating that we have no outstanding talent. All the forwards I named have got what it takes and are great players on their day. My only concern is that a couple of them are going too well for the time of year and could hold a false promise. What I mean is, some players being so fit and peaking this time of year while others (incl the opposition) are only getting fit may not be ideal as when the ground hardens up, and others catch up with fitness its possible that the Mayo forward line would look very different from what we will see in the NFL and FBD.

Also, when you think about it, having so many players playing Sigerson is not always the ideal either. Its a very, very long year for some players who would have had a very hard winters training with their colleges, followed by a hard late winter / early spring training with the county, followed by a hard early to mid summer training again with the county. I know that kind of thing takes its toll on the body, and it something I have heard from players as well as read from the likes of Andy Moran about just being burnt out and feeling tired when you should be peaking.
I have to say you are getting a bit carried away, some of the players have the potential to be very good but to say at this stage they have what it tales and on their day they will be 'great' is pushing it.

No1

Sorry to intrude boys and a wee bit off topic but...................

There are a few of us heading down to Castlebar next Saturday for the Down game, best pubs for pre and post match pints??  Plenty of decent sport on TV during the day aswell.

Down by 4 by the way, yiz are far too unsettled at the moment!

RedandGreenSniper

Saturday and Saturday night will be a great day around Castlebar.

For pubs before the game I'd recommend Rocky's for whatever might be on TV and Mick Byrne's for a good crowd and football talk, and both will do what the other does best, but not to the same extent, if that makes sense. Afterwards, the same two will be lively as will Johnny McHales, BOSH, and Ray's. Ray's is a great football pub actually, it is run by the nephew of Mayo full-back of the 50/51 All-Ireland winning teams, Paddy Prendergast.

All of these are in the town and a ten minute walk from the ground. The Sportlann complex at McHale Park has a decent sized pub which is sure to be good both the hour before and the hour after the game, while the same might be said about Hogs Heaven across the road, beside the bowling alley.

What other games are on that day? On TV I mean.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 27, 2011, 04:53:37 PM

Too many forwards to choose from. I'm nearly two score years roaming the Earth Chimley, old stock, and this is the first year in my memory that Mayo have had too many forwards to choose from.

Roll on the Down game.

We may have too many forwards to choose from but as your tone suggests, when push comes to shove, we might not have any forwards at all. Horan has options as well as problems all over the field. At the moment we have a multitude of players impressing for places. What we dont need again is a Summer team of individuals playing as individuals trying to hold on to a jersey. He needs to identify the better options for positions and let his coaching mould them into a proper team  - and to hell with public and press opinion, who will probably gape that yer man is not picked - and get on with it.