Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 10, 2011, 01:26:23 PM
Anyone know if this is true?

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140376

QuoteMayo star Billy Joe Padden is on the verge of a switch to Armagh having completed a transfer from his native Belmullet to south Armagh club Carrickcruppen.

According to The Irish News, the 29-year-old has already been training with Paddy O'Rourke's squad and could be added to the panel ahead of next month's National Football League campaign when the Orchard men will make their return to the top flight.

Padden, who is the son of Mayo legend Willie Joe and a winner three Connacht title with his native county, has strong links with Camlough in Armagh and has experienced Ulster football having won a Sigerson All Star with Queen's University, Belfast in 2004.

If added to O'Rourke's panel, Padden would be a valuable asset to the Division Two champions as his versatility allows him to line-out at centre-field or in attack.

Is BJ actually switching to Armagh, or just training with them since he's not in either Mayo or Dublin to join the rest of the Mayo training sessions?

I dont think he will be involved with Mayo so there is some truth in the article I reckon.

He was a useful utility player I guess. He played in all the central positions from Full Back, Centre back, Mid Field, Centre Forward and Full Forward but never actually nailed down any position for a long period. I think I read somewhere that he played in 8 out field positions in total, which is impressive versatility.

His fans would say he is a Jack of all trades and his critics would say that he is a master none, but I think he was honest as the day is long and served us well. Best of luck in your new adventure Billy!  ;)

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 10, 2011, 01:47:17 PM

QuoteMayo star Billy Joe Padden is on the verge of a switch to Armagh having completed a transfer from his native Belmullet to south Armagh club Carrickcruppen.

According to The Irish News, the 29-year-old has already been training with Paddy O'Rourke's squad and could be added to the panel ahead of next month's National Football League campaign when the Orchard men will make their return to the top flight.

Padden, who is the son of Mayo legend Willie Joe and a winner three Connacht title with his native county, has strong links with Camlough in Armagh and has experienced Ulster football having won a Sigerson All Star with Queen's University, Belfast in 2004.

If added to O'Rourke's panel, Padden would be a valuable asset to the Division Two champions as his versatility allows him to line-out at centre-field or in attack.

Is BJ actually switching to Armagh, or just training with them since he's not in either Mayo or Dublin to join the rest of the Mayo training sessions?

I dont think he will be involved with Mayo so there is some truth in the article I reckon.

He was a useful utility player I guess. He played in all the central positions from Full Back, Centre back, Mid Field, Centre Forward and Full Forward but never actually nailed down any position for a long period. I think I read somewhere that he played in 8 out field positions in total, which is impressive versatility.

His fans would say he is a Jack of all trades and his critics would say that he is a master none, but I think he was honest as the day is long and served us well. Best of luck in your new adventure Billy!  ;)

Yep, best of luck to him if he does make the move.
He always gave it everything he had anyway, he can hold his head high on that count.
It was hard on him at times I'd say, playing nearly every position at some stage but never had one that he could hold on to. And I couldn't see that changing this year, so it might be the best move all round, especially when he's based so far away.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 10, 2011, 01:59:49 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 10, 2011, 01:47:17 PM

Yep, best of luck to him if he does make the move.
He always gave it everything he had anyway, he can hold his head high on that count.
It was hard on him at times I'd say, playing nearly every position at some stage but never had one that he could hold on to. And I couldn't see that changing this year, so it might be the best move all round, especially when he's based so far away.

Ya people were harsh on him in the past, and I have to hold my hand up and say I was one of his critics.
It wasnt his fault that he was shifted around so much. If he was left alone he could have developed into a position.
He was one of the only players that stood up in '06 against Kerry. If im not mistaken he caused Thomas O Shea serious problems that day.

mannix

he did stand up against kerry when most were turning into jelly. He always gave his all for Mayo, however he is not going to be collecting silverware with armagh neither, they are a middle table outfit much like mayo today.
good luck all the same to bj whether its in mayo or armagh.

macdanger2

Best of luck to BJP. He was one of only 3-4 players to emerge from the AIF '06 with any credit and oddly enough i think that was the last championship game he started for Mayo.

Played against him underage and he was a fine footballer, remember him beating us more or less on his own one evening out in Belmullet.

ballinaman

Any word on how the Mayo lads are doing with the universities?

stephenite

Quote from: ballinaman on January 17, 2011, 05:24:12 AM

I think O'Se did fairly well in the exams, Gardiner and Dillon are struggling to get back into the studying lark though apparently :P

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on January 18, 2011, 02:24:12 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 17, 2011, 05:24:12 AM

I think O'Se did fairly well in the exams, Gardiner and Dillon are struggling to get back into the studying lark though apparently :P
:D Coppers get a flaking too no doubt....

Farrandeelin

:D @ stephenite's reply.

Neil Douglas scored 1-1 and Jason Doherty scored 0-3 for NUIG against Galway this weekend.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

With the size of the FBD panel and lots of others goin well with their colleges, it will be interesting to see what James Horan comes up with as a selection for the first league game against Down, which is only about 3 weeks away.

southsider

Quote from: moysider on January 18, 2011, 10:19:14 PM

With the size of the FBD panel and lots of others goin well with their colleges, it will be interesting to see what James Horan comes up with as a selection for the first league game against Down, which is only about 3 weeks away.

what is the league panel size out of interest and have any of the newcomers like hallinan, burke, killeen a realistic chance of making that panel or will it be a case of those playing for colleges coming straight back in.

Farrandeelin

They might have a nice chance this year. Especially if the u-21s go on a bit of a run. It SHOULD be a good team this year at U-21 level anyway, but it is straight knockout so anything is possible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

It's gonna be very hard to pick the team for the Down game. I reckon James Burke, Cathal Hallinan and Cillian O'Connor have played themselves into contention. McGarrity will probably be there. Has anyone seen Tom Parsons? Then add in NUIG players Neil Douglas, Jason Doherty (both flying), Alan Dillon and Peadar Gardiner. DIT have Alan Freeman, Aidan O'Shea, Kevin McLoughlin and Tom Cunniffe. We've let to see Keith Higgins, or Seamus O'Shea, or Donal Vaughan. Think all three are injured. It is wide open now.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Yeah. Only Horan and his selectors can have any idea who they re goin to put out against Down. They have to target it as a winnable match so they have to put out as strong a team as they can field. But God knows what that team is since realistically the decks were cleared after Pearse Park?  Horan cant really go back to anything near that selection or, floodlights or not, the only fans that appear, will be carrying pitchforks and torches. He needs to put his stamp on things from the word go. Johnno s selections did enough flops under Johnno. Horan should not start off with Johnno s team and add his bits gradually. He needs to be bold and if he is the supporters might get interested again.

RedandGreenSniper

Well I reckon the decks are cleared for him anyway. I reckon the team against Sligo is the team that needs changing. Johnno, in a rare moment of decisiveness, did spring a lot of changes for the Longford game. See the teams below (courtesy of Willie Joe's fine blog) and there was six changes, including some established names (Gardiner, T Mort, McGarrity). Of the Longford team I reckon the most that will start is eight. Possibly as few as five. Injuries, lack of presence due to college commitments and simple non-selection all being reasons.

MAYO (v SLIGO): David Clarke; Peadar Gardiner, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins; Donal Vaughan, Tom Cunniffe, Kevin McLoughlin; Tom Parsons, Ronan McGarrity; Andy Moran (0-1), Seamus O'Shea, Trevor Mortimer; Conor Mortimer (0-3, one free), Alan Freeman (1-4, penalty goal and two frees), Enda Varley.  Subs: BJ Padden for Seamus O'Shea, Aidan O'Shea for Varley, Mark Ronaldson for Trevor Mortimer, Barry Moran for Parsons, Kieran Conroy for McGarrity.

MAYO (v LONGFORD): David Clarke; Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins; Donal Vaughan, Trevor Howley, Kevin McLoughlin; Seamus O'Shea (0-1), Pat Harte; Andy Moran (0-2, one a '45'), Aidan O'Shea, Alan Freeman (0-5, one free); Conor Mortimer (0-2, one free), Barry Moran (0-1), Alan Dillon (0-3).   Subs: Liam O'Malley for McLoughlin, Mark Ronaldson for Aidan O'Shea, Tom Parsons for Howley, Billy Joe Padden for Harte.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year