Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBXII

Well of the current panel I think Cunniffe is the most suited to mark a player like O'Sullivan or O'Neill. I mean Howley was roasted by O'Connor in the league final and by Joe Sheridan against Meath last year. Pace will certainly help mark these top players and I think he could grow into the role.

With regards Marty Clarke, yes he was MotM v Mayo in 2005 but Cunniffe was also widely regarded as Mayos best player that day and was one of the few to continue playing until the end.

Anyway, no one has suggested a better CHB in my opinion and if the Kilcullens can't make the squad I would doubt that they have the potential to mark Declan O'Sullivan et al very well.

To be honest I think the best players are in the squad, other than maybe McDonald, Aidan Higgins and Aidan Campbell (who doesn't seem to have the head). And the reason the 1st 2 lads aren't in the panel is to do with O'Mahoney wanting to start afresh I would guess (not that I agree with that!).

small white mayoman

Quote from: GBXII on June 09, 2010, 03:08:13 PM
Well of the current panel I think Cunniffe is the most suited to mark a player like O'Sullivan or O'Neill. I mean Howley was roasted by O'Connor in the league final and by Joe Sheridan against Meath last year. Pace will certainly help mark these top players and I think he could grow into the role.

With regards Marty Clarke, yes he was MotM v Mayo in 2005 but Cunniffe was also widely regarded as Mayos best player that day and was one of the few to continue playing until the end.

Anyway, no one has suggested a better CHB in my opinion and if the Kilcullens can't make the squad I would doubt that they have the potential to mark Declan O'Sullivan et al very well.

To be honest I think the best players are in the squad, other than maybe McDonald, Aidan Higgins and Aidan Campbell (who doesn't seem to have the head). And the reason the 1st 2 lads aren't in the panel is to do with O'Mahoney wanting to start afresh I would guess (not that I agree with that!).

i'm as big a mc d fan as anyone gb however i can't agree that mc d is still one of the best in mayo as he is not even playing with cross at the moment, as for the way he was treated by o'mahony well thats another issue and one which i better not say a lot about as i'd only be opening up a can of worms that has been closed for 3 years now.
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

small white mayoman

Quote from: GBXII on May 11, 2010, 10:48:26 PM
Anyone reading the Mayo News lately? Sean Rice is doing a best Mayo football 15 since 1960 and just thought it was interesting to note that he picked Liam McHale at 11 ahead of C McDonald. Did I hear somewhere before that Rice has some grudge against McDonald? Link here: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9748:liam-mchale-on-best-mayo-team-since-1960&catid=26&Itemid=54

i see that mr rice has grudingly picked mc danger at no 13 ??? shows you what he knows about football , you would swear from reading the article that he togged out once maybe twice for mayo . i mean does rice really think that he failed to fulfill his potential for mayo if so rice is a hard man pleased  ???

Sean Rice

BEFORE he stumbled badly last Saturday I had begun to question whether there had been a better Mayo corner forward than the man who has been holding down the position over the past eight years. Has there been anyone better than Conor Mortimer over the past fifty years?
Anyone but Mortimer, I hear. And selection for the No 13 jersey on my best team of the past fifty years looms inopportunely for the Shrule/Glencorrib man following a nightmare performance against Sligo.
But rummaging through the archives of memory for a genuine challenger to Mortimer leaves you wondering who is better entitled to selection.
There is no shortage of contenders, 109 in all. Among them is the resourceful Johnny Farragher whose name springs up for many positions, and I find it difficult to dismiss the sharp edge of commitment he brought to his game.
Around the same time Ballina's John Nealon prowled hungrily around the edge of the square. In his 45 appearances for Mayo he scored 14 goals and 16 points, but was noted more for his contribution to the scores of others.
Nealon's input was never fully appreciated until he was dropped for the Connacht final of 1969 . . . after scoring four goals in the semi-final against Leitrim. He was restored for the replay of the final against Galway and bagged 1-1.
Willie McGee, although more popular as a full-forward, lined out in the corner on a few occasions. So did Billy Fitzpatrick, Michael Fitzmaurice, Ray Dempsey, Brian Kilkelly,  Kevin O'Neill, Tom Byrne, P.J. King, Frank McDonald, M.J. Ruddy, Maurice Sheridan and a hundred others.
One of those was Ciaran McDonald, also of recent vintage. Controversial, moody and brilliant, he nevertheless failed to fulfill for Mayo the enormous potential his left foot had promised.
A variety of great scores was registered by that inspired foot, and from it all sorts of deliveries were executed . . . long, short, medium, sublime and preposterous. With uncanny accuracy he could thread a pass to a colleague half the field away. More than anyone he had the capacity to excel on any of the best teams in the country.
Unfortunately, speculation too often centred on his mood swings, not on how he might perform, but whether or not he would turn up. Frustrated managers went out of their way to appease his whims . . . but in the end the inscrutable Crossmolina man became entangled in the web of his own paradox. And Mayo never fully benefited from an enormous talent.
Mortimer's career has not been without some quirks. His flamboyance hasn't always endeared himself to managers or audiences. But through thick and thin he has held that corner position for nearly a decade . . . because no one can take it from him.
His performance on Saturday will have blighted the memory of better days . . . and it may be an indication that the gloss is at last beginning to fade. But Mortimer has a habit of bouncing back to confound his critics, and may do so again.
In the meantime, a man who is second only to Joe Corcoran as Mayo's leading scorer of all time with 14 goals and 329 points to his credit, cannot be readily discarded.
Inevitably, it boils down to a choice between him and McDonald for that corner position. And when you peel away all the peculiarities of the Crossmolina ace, all his frustrating behaviour, you are still left with a talent, however underused, that comes along only once or twice in a lifetime. For that reason he edges out Conor Mortimer.
To McDonald, thus, goes the No 13 jersey.

AbbeySider

Quote from: small white mayoman on June 09, 2010, 04:12:06 PM
i'm as big a mc d fan as anyone gb however i can't agree that mc d is still one of the best in mayo as he is not even playing with cross at the moment, as for the way he was treated by o'mahony well thats another issue and one which i better not say a lot about as i'd only be opening up a can of worms that has been closed for 3 years now.

On the contrary my good man its reported that McDonald trained last Tuesday so all indications are that the Mac is back for Crossmolina. Sources say it wasnt his first session with them either.  ;)

small white mayoman

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 09, 2010, 04:47:06 PM

On the contrary my good man its reported that McDonald trained last Tuesday so all indications are that the Mac is back for Crossmolina. Sources say it wasnt his first session with them either.  ;)

i'd be checking out your soucres Asider was chatting to a few cross lads at the weekend and they said that he hasn't been training

AbbeySider

Quote from: small white mayoman on June 09, 2010, 04:52:41 PM

i'd be checking out your soucres Asider was chatting to a few cross lads at the weekend and they said that he hasn't been training

I suppose we will have to wait and see.  ;)

moysider

Quote from: GBXII on June 09, 2010, 03:08:13 PM

That was one can of worms that will never be closed. One of the reasons why people don t bother going to Mayo matches anymore. Maybe we should reopen the McDonald thread ;D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 09, 2010, 05:04:54 PM

i have to side with swm on this one as far as i know mc has not been back training however abbeysider does have good sources  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 09, 2010, 06:28:10 PM

i have to side with swm on this one as far as i know mc has not been back training however abbeysider does have good sources  ;)

It doesnt really matter,we will win either way, but it would be a big motivation for us if he is back.  ;D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 10, 2010, 08:55:01 AM

It doesnt really matter,we will win either way, but it would be a big motivation for us if he is back;D

why so Abbeysider ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2010, 09:05:25 AM

It doesnt really matter,we will win either way, but it would be a big motivation for us if he is back;D

why so Abbeysider ?

Well you know yourself, the bigger they are and all that.

Who else would you want to be playing against?
Apologies for the cliche, but to be the best you have to beat the best.
I think it would be a big motivation. Do ya follow?  :)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 10, 2010, 09:17:41 AM

why so Abbeysider ?

i stand under you
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2010, 09:19:34 AM

why so Abbeysider ?

i stand under you

not while im pissing  :D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 10, 2010, 09:29:04 AM

why so Abbeysider ?

i stand under you

:D what are ya like , are you going to brave going for a pint in sticks after the match abbeysider
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2010, 09:38:12 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on June 10, 2010, 09:29:04 AM

why so Abbeysider ?

i stand under you

:D what are ya like , are you going to brave going for a pint in sticks after the match abbeysider

I might if I can get a few of the lads to come with me!  :P
If there is a sambo or something we will head in to Sticks or wherever they go.