Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

The flame still burns

Quote from: moysider on January 24, 2010, 10:43:33 PM
Quote from: The flame still burns on January 24, 2010, 08:18:03 PM
Report from the draw against Sligo IT today

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/

Thanks for that flame. Does nt look very encouraging, does it?

No big light at the end of the tunnel. I could use some corny line about my name but will desist. The Under 21s could be our best hope.

moysider

Quote from: The flame still burns on January 25, 2010, 11:30:02 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 24, 2010, 10:43:33 PM
Quote from: The flame still burns on January 24, 2010, 08:18:03 PM
Report from the draw against Sligo IT today

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/

Thanks for that flame. Does nt look very encouraging, does it?

No big light at the end of the tunnel. I could use some corny line about my name but will desist. The Under 21s could be our best hope.

Yeah. And the minors will be worth seeing as well. I ve serious hopes for them.

rosnarun

these are barely glorified challange games . its goo to see douglas feeny  keegan and others get a run put themselves in position to get some match time in the league or else maybe rule them selves out for another year. its a real pity the colleges have 1st call as we wont see a full team till 1st round of the league and mayo need to start with a bang if the league is not going to be a dispiriting affair
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Foreverhopeful

will many of them muredachs boys be making the minor panel? Great to see them beat Jarlaths.

downredblack

Is Billy Joe Padden about the Mayo panel this yr ? what is he like as a player ?

joedenilson

Mayo Championship draw is up on website now.
http://short.ie/bwua70
An Excel file of the full draw can be downloaded here:
http://short.ie/t5k4yo

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 04, 2010, 11:49:36 AM
Without a doubt, Mickey and Beefer did lead us to the final of '06 but it was a game we hadn't the proverbial snowball's chance of winning. I have criticised Johnno over many things but I don't think if M&M were still in charge, the situation would be any better than it is now.

Its not often I can disagree with you Lar but I cant let that quip slide.

When you in a final, of course you have a chance of winning it. In fact, its not often the best team skill wise that win finals. Its who wants it more, and who are tactically aware and Kerry were far hungrier than us and systemically took us apart without having to change the script from 2004.
A lot of what happened in that final is a direct result of the management not getting it right on the sideline and learning from the same mistakes made in 2004. Is it any wonder the players themselves took things into their own hands?

Beefer and Mickey Moran have to take some responsibility if not all of the responsibility for the following:

- Heads being wrong going into the game.
In interviews afterwards Beefer admitted that they treated the All-Ireland just the same as the previous game against Dublin and like it was just another game. They had the exact same routine as the semi which was wrong as they should have been prepared to lift the performance from the semi and not hope that things go well, which was a fools hope. You could see it in the faces of the Mayo players before the game, totally relaxed and not focused, kicking wide after wide and having a leisurely warm-up. However Kerry ware knocking the shite out of each other in a tight possession game the other end and they looked ready for battle. I could tell before the game that we were in for a hammering.

- Tactically not learning anything from 2004
Not starting Brady was a mistake after his display against Dublin in the Semi but Mickey Moran and Morrison failed to learn anything from our defeat against Kerry in 2004. The same problems were there in 2006 and the didnt do anything to combat them. Nallen was roasted in 2004 at centre back by Declan O Suilleabhain, and Kerry knew to run at him again in 2006 and Declan O Suilleabhain destroyed him in minutes (no disrespect to Nallen who was left exposed by Gardiner a lot but thats another story). Nallen didnt have the legs for CB in 2006, especially in wide open spaces like Croke Park. They had absolutely no plan to curb the Donaughy threat at the edge of the square when they should have played a sweeper behind Nallen to protect him and in front of Donaughy when high balls came in. They only got the idea to bring on Brady when he demanded it from the subs bench but it was already damage limitation and we were taking water. It was basic stuff.

- Losing control of the players
It was obvious that the management had no control of the players or dressing room in 2006. Between Brady and Heaney refusing to leave the front of the hill in the Semi and Brady calling the shot to be put in on Donaughy showed a lack of leadership by the management. The other thing that annoyed me was reading afterwards that nether of the management even knew or noticed that McGarity was off the pitch and receiving attention after the blow he got from Whealan. I cant imagine managing a team and not knowing a) your playing with 14 men and b) your main midfielder and one of the main players was injured.

A lot of stuff has been posted on these threads about M&M getting a raw deal from the county board but when you take into account the above and you were left with a decision after being crucified in another final to Kerry you have to ask questions of the management.

In 2006 we could have won, if the players believed and had respect for the management, if their heads were right going into the game and if the management had a clue what they were doing and learned from 2004.

muppet

Quote from: downredblack on February 04, 2010, 10:38:04 AM
Is Billy Joe Padden about the Mayo panel this yr ? what is he like as a player ?

He doesn't seem to be on the panel this year.

He is a good honest forager and has played in every line of the Mayo team bar goalkeeper. At his best he cleaned Tomas O'Sé in a beaten Mayo team in an AIF, on other days he can be anonymous.

Part of the problem is where to play him. Ideally he should be midfield but isn't quite tall enough and doesn't have the leap that his Dad had tomake up for lack of inches. At club level he would be a great midfielder.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2010, 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: downredblack on February 04, 2010, 10:38:04 AM

He is a good honest forager and has played in every line of the Mayo team bar goalkeeper. At his best he cleaned Tomas O'Sé in a beaten Mayo team in an AIF, on other days he can be anonymous.

Part of the problem is where to play him. Ideally he should be midfield but isn't quite tall enough and doesn't have the leap that his Dad had tomake up for lack of inches. At club level he would be a great midfielder.

I think he is living/working/married in Kildare.

I was never convinced with BJP.
Jack of all trades? I dont think so....
Master of none? Harsh, but probably.

I felt he didnt even stand out at club level

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: muppet on Today at 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: downredblack on Today at 10:38:04 AM

I think he is living/working/married in Kildare.

I was never convinced with BJP.
Jack of all trades? I dont think so....
Master of none? Harsh, but probably.

I felt he didnt even stand out at club level

Think I read that he's living and working in Down at the moment. Himself and AOM are the noteable absentees from this years panel (apart from the 2 lads who have retired).
At time's BJP looked like he had the most heart out of all the players, but he never stood out in any position and ended up being a 'versatile' substitute.
Not sure if it was his decision or JOMs, but it doesn' look like he'll be involved this year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

I tend to agree with Abbeysider about BJP. I wasn't convinced about his intercounty credentials either. However, he would do well in a scrappy sort of a game but when the going got tough in the middle of Summer, he just didn't cut it for me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Would I be correct in saying that the last Championship match BJP started in was AIF 06? He was one of our best players that day. Personally, I think he's worth a place on he bench at least, maybe 2nd or 3rd sub....

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me