Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Apart from the Moran Morrisson year Gallagher has been in some disappointing administrations. Probably has been a bit unlucky.

I believe the new minor manager will be ratified by the board next Monday night.

Foreverhopeful

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Foreverhopeful

barry kelly, he didnt feature at all in champ and was poor at best in league. where is brian benson, gibbons, james and david kilcullen, alan freeman, joe keane, james cafferty

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 06, 2010, 10:49:08 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 06, 2010, 07:52:15 PM
donal tuohy should get that

Word is Tony Duffy has it got . . .

That s the word on the street alright Sniper. At least thats what I ve heard.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 06, 2010, 11:35:33 PM
barry kelly, he didnt feature at all in champ and was poor at best in league. where is brian benson, gibbons, james and david kilcullen, alan freeman, joe keane, james cafferty

You re not the only one thinking along those lines either. The only thing I would say is that the Freemans, Gibbons, Keane and Caff will be getting U21 action and probably dont need the FBD shite anyway. On the other hand th fact it takes this management so long to cop on to talent,[ McLoughlin was brought in a year too late and now Burke is batted back] would be a concern alright. A lot of people could have picked that FBD panel by just reading the local paper without ever going to games.

macdanger2

Kelly was midfield for Ballagh, Cafferty was a sub for Cross!!!!

Would like to see Joe Keane, Freeman and Gibbons in there alright though. Are any of those lads are playing Sigerson?

The kilcullens were both in in 07 and haven't really been seen since? I heard that one of them just wasn't willling to put in the committment but was there a falling out with the other one?

Barney

Disappointed by some of the absences alright.

Disappointed by some of the fellas that have been kept on. A widespread cull was never on the cards but the playing panel appears like it will be almost similar this year, and the management team likewise. What is being done differently to bring things to the next level? New ideas?

Whatever people might say about the standard of Connacht football etc. Mayo did play some encouraging football against Roscommon and against Galway last year. There was an added bit of steel to the game before everything fell apart. Maybe the management are hoping that they can progress on that, and have marked the Meath performance as a whole (including crucial injuries, ref errors, the fact that we were ahead with 15 to play) as an exception. I don't think it can be given the history of blow-ups, but that is the most positive approach I can take to the situation.

I cannot see the necessity to name panels anyhow. Who else is publicly announcing a panel for one of the minor competitions. The group should be open-ended at this time of year.

To me there is no benefit in adding Heaney and Nallen later on in the year - they have been great players for us but in my opinion are finished at this level now. In fact I would have more faith in Jimmy Nallen lasting the pace. But if they do want to be involved they should be there at the coal-face at the start of the NFL rather than turning up in May. That should go for anybody that wants to be involved. Look at last year how many of the team didn't put in the hard yards, missed winter football, but were back in the Summer - you cannot make up that work later in the year - for the record Higgins, Howley, Heaney, Kilcoyne and Barry Moran did not have serious football until the Summer for one reason or another.

Finally the likes of Seamus O'Se need to step up to the mark if they are worth persevering with. No point being a passenger for the year. He is old enough and should be good enough.

muppet

Enough pessimism (not directed at you Barney).

Mayo will win Sam in 2010.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 07, 2010, 04:34:33 AM

Would like to see Joe Keane, Freeman and Gibbons in there alright though. Are any of those lads are playing Sigerson?

The kilcullens were both in in 07 and haven't really been seen since? I heard that one of them just wasn't willling to put in the committment but was there a falling out with the other one?

Maybe so but he is young and  had problems with injuries. Imo Cafferty is a much better prospect going forward.

Terry Tate

Caff's involvment this year was limited until he finished his leaving cert. He picked up an injury during the summer but came on against Knockmore in the semi final, so that would explain why he was only a sub. He will be the best player cross will have for a long time.
Joe keane is not playing sigerson and it seems Benson is not the sort of player JOM wants around the place.(maybe they had a disagreement) He offers alot more than the likes of mark ronaldson or mikey sweeney though.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2010, 12:52:38 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 05, 2010, 12:32:25 PM
QuoteHard to see where the improvement is going to come from to beat Kernans Galway this year.

f**k it January is depressing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I know the county isn't bursting at the seams with untried talent, but I thought for the FBD, we'd see a few more new faces than that!
B*llocks anyway, I get the feeling it could be another year of the same  :(

Imagine how I f**king feel. I used to console myself that I was too negative, that I was getting the whole thing wrong. Likes of you Tubber used to have some hope, some optimism.  Givin out to me cause I did  nt believe in the chosen one. Since backend 06 I ve been trying to put distance from myself and Mayo senior football.  It s not easy of course but last year I managed to give up the FBD League and this year the National League has to go. It s like giving up smokes or drink but not wanting to. I was at the last game that Mayo played in Garry in FBD. Johnno was managing Galway and was supposed to be fighting with Joyce. John M was managing Mayo and Ciarán MC D was in exile. Joyce led out Galway that day and McD was still out of loop. I ll put it this way. Joyce will play for Galway as long as he wants and Johnno realised that soon enough. On the other hand McD was treated like a shit.  I cant watch farce any more. Too many sour and repetitive sound bites backing up anaemic football . Indignant bristling and basically propaganda media releases at merest hint of criticism. Johnno s response to Paudí O Sé s stuff sums it up. He may have thought that by saying that Paudí underachieved with Kerry, and he'd like to think he d have won more if he was managing Kerry, was smart and a good smack down. Actually, it's not. The message he is sending out there is huge. His ego took a hit and his first instinct was to protect his reputation.  But by doing that he is distancing himself from his current position and damage limitation has set in. But he is making Mayo football look like shite to be honest. He won 2 with Galway, would have won more with Kerry if he got the chance, is the message. I think it should be acknowledged that in recent years Mayo have had underage teams on a par that Kerry or Galway had before their successes. I still can not make sense of his rummaging the first few years.

And before people start saying he had to try things...... You dont. Unless you really know what you re at. Look at the difference between O Sullivan and Kidney in Irish rugby 09. One had a big obvious ego. One did nt. O Sull kept trying things that didnt work. Kidney knows what will work before it works.

It has to be said that the players still believe in Johnno. When you see what has happened elasewhere then you have to accept that that is a good thing. He is lucky to have a very good panel of loyal players. That shite response about Paudi was unacceptable and was very condescending to his current players not to mind the fine Galway team he had, that possibly underachieved as well. But I d be surprised if the players picked up on it. Nobody else seemed to

I dont have too many issues with the FBD panel announced. Disappointed that a certain individual is not in it but not surprised either because to be honest I doubt if any of the management ever saw him play before a trial match.

Some good stuff there Moy. I agree with a lot of that bar the players believing in JOM.
In fact, I think he lost the dressing room in his first year in charge.
Between missing trainings because of Dail duties, and not getting off the phone during the trainings he was at, as well as spouting all the shite, cliches and sound bytes.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Terry Tate on January 07, 2010, 09:49:55 PM

Caff's involvment this year was limited until he finished his leaving cert. He picked up an injury during the summer but came on against Knockmore in the semi final, so that would explain why he was only a sub. He will be the best player cross will have for a long time.
Joe keane is not playing sigerson and it seems Benson is not the sort of player JOM wants around the place.(maybe they had a disagreement) He offers alot more than the likes of mark ronaldson or mikey sweeney though.

Horseshit.

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 08, 2010, 12:37:40 AM

Horseshit.

Caff will be a fine player for Cross, great prospect, He's from Moygowna though I heard, anyone know if thats true?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ballinaman on January 09, 2010, 02:09:00 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 08, 2010, 12:37:40 AM

Horseshit.

Caff will be a fine player for Cross, great prospect, He's from Moygowna though I heard, anyone know if thats true?

Cafferty is a fine player. I was making the point that stating that Brian Benson is better than Mark Ronaldson is horseshit. Cafferty did come from Moygownagh - Ardmoy underage. I think he might have been with Crossmolina as a young lad, moved out and moved back in. The Cross lads probably know the full story.