Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

Quote from: moysider on January 05, 2010, 03:45:49 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 04, 2010, 11:35:41 PM
He might be more used to it now seen as he playing regularly in the backs for ballymun. Played a lot of underage at midfield and half forward. Great competition for no. 7 jersey with moran, nally, higgins, gardiner, mcloughlin
Enda Varley is another who was reportedly playing really well in the trials but there s no sign of him either?
According to Mayo News he wasnt considered seen as he is apart of the UL sigerson cup team like Barry Moran

ballinaman

Ya, Varley is playing in the McGrath cup with UL.

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 05, 2010, 12:32:25 PM
QuoteHard to see where the improvement is going to come from to beat Kernans Galway this year.

f**k it January is depressing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I know the county isn't bursting at the seams with untried talent, but I thought for the FBD, we'd see a few more new faces than that!
B*llocks anyway, I get the feeling it could be another year of the same  :(

Imagine how I f**king feel. I used to console myself that I was too negative, that I was getting the whole thing wrong. Likes of you Tubber used to have some hope, some optimism.  Givin out to me cause I did  nt believe in the chosen one. Since backend 06 I ve been trying to put distance from myself and Mayo senior football.  It s not easy of course but last year I managed to give up the FBD League and this year the National League has to go. It s like giving up smokes or drink but not wanting to. I was at the last game that Mayo played in Garry in FBD. Johnno was managing Galway and was supposed to be fighting with Joyce. John M was managing Mayo and Ciarán MC D was in exile. Joyce led out Galway that day and McD was still out of loop. I ll put it this way. Joyce will play for Galway as long as he wants and Johnno realised that soon enough. On the other hand McD was treated like a shit.  I cant watch farce any more. Too many sour and repetitive sound bites backing up anaemic football . Indignant bristling and basically propaganda media releases at merest hint of criticism. Johnno s response to Paudí O Sé s stuff sums it up. He may have thought that by saying that Paudí underachieved with Kerry, and he'd like to think he d have won more if he was managing Kerry, was smart and a good smack down. Actually, it's not. The message he is sending out there is huge. His ego took a hit and his first instinct was to protect his reputation.  But by doing that he is distancing himself from his current position and damage limitation has set in. But he is making Mayo football look like shite to be honest. He won 2 with Galway, would have won more with Kerry if he got the chance, is the message. I think it should be acknowledged that in recent years Mayo have had underage teams on a par that Kerry or Galway had before their successes. I still can not make sense of his rummaging the first few years.

And before people start saying he had to try things...... You dont. Unless you really know what you re at. Look at the difference between O Sullivan and Kidney in Irish rugby 09. One had a big obvious ego. One did nt. O Sull kept trying things that didnt work. Kidney knows what will work before it works.

It has to be said that the players still believe in Johnno. When you see what has happened elasewhere then you have to accept that that is a good thing. He is lucky to have a very good panel of loyal players. That shite response about Paudi was unacceptable and was very condescending to his current players not to mind the fine Galway team he had, that possibly underachieved as well. But I d be surprised if the players picked up on it. Nobody else seemed to

I dont have too many issues with the FBD panel announced. Disappointed that a certain individual is not in it but not surprised either because to be honest I doubt if any of the management ever saw him play before a trial match.

Foreverhopeful

you on about burke? Because gallagher was minor selector in 05 so would know him

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 06, 2010, 01:09:19 AM
you on about burke? Because gallagher was minor selector in 05 so would know him

What? Who was manager in 05? Gallagher?

macdanger2

shocking light at midfield.....

Parsons - was very poor last year with mayo and in any clubs games i saw him in. badly needs to regain his form of 08.
Mcgarrity - that he is our best midfielder at the moment pretty much sums it up for me.
Harte - a good half forward but not an IC midfielder
Kelly - don't know much about him but he played FBD last year and didn't feature much after....

No sign of the Kilcullens returning. Any other decent midfielders about?

Tubberman

Quoteshocking light at midfield.....

Parsons - was very poor last year with mayo and in any clubs games i saw him in. badly needs to regain his form of 08.
Mcgarrity - that he is our best midfielder at the moment pretty much sums it up for me.
Kelly - don't know much about him but he played FBD last year and didn't feature much after....

I'd have thought Jason Gibbons from Ballintubber would be worth a shot during the FBD. He got a run in one of the game's last year as far as I can remember. He's still U-21 so hopefully Dempsey gives him a fair chance this year, because, for a variety of reasons, he hasn't as many games in the green and red as he should have had.

QuoteQuote from: Foreverhopeful on Today at 01:09:19 AM

Wasn't that the year Eugene Ivers managed them and they got to the final where they were well beaten by Down?
I think Foreverhopeful is right - think Kieran Gallagher might have been a selector then.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 06, 2010, 04:12:59 AM

Jimmy Killeen will be worth a look at in midfield in the FBD, glad to see he's getting a chance. Saw him playing a few times for Garrymore and he impressed, not sure will his performances translate to IC but it's worth a look. But agree, doubt many teams will fear mayo's midfield.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ballinaman on January 06, 2010, 10:57:51 AM

Jimmy Killeen will be worth a look at in midfield in the FBD, glad to see he's getting a chance. Saw him playing a few times for Garrymore and he impressed, not sure will his performances translate to IC but it's worth a look. But agree, doubt many teams will fear mayo's midfield.

If we're playing Jimmy Killeen at midfield then we are completely fucked! Jimmy, and always has been, a scoring forward with pace but lacking a small bit physically. You might be getting him confused with Jimmy Kilcullen from Ballaghaderreen who could certainly do a job at midfield for us.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Killeen? Midfield? Creatine is great stuff but there is a limit to what it can achieve. Jimmy will do well to hold his own as a forward.

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 06, 2010, 08:50:21 AM

I'd have thought Jason Gibbons from Ballintubber would be worth a shot during the FBD. He got a run in one of the game's last year as far as I can remember. He's still U-21 so hopefully Dempsey gives him a fair chance this year, because, for a variety of reasons, he hasn't as many games in the green and red as he should have had.

Wasn't that the year Eugene Ivers managed them and they got to the final where they were well beaten by Down?
I think Foreverhopeful is right - think Kieran Gallagher might have been a selector then.

Ivers was the manager. Billy McNicolas was there so is it likely that Kieran Gallagher was there too? A lot of lads from the same place? Michael Gavin was there and I think Kearns from Davitts.Rochford was the north selector. I think Gallagher was with the Reilly regime.

The point I was trying to make was how ridiculous a decision like playing Burke in the corner could have happened. It was some mess. Several of those lads well beaten by Down were good enough to win U21 six months later. Cafferkey, Cunniffe, Barrett ...

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 06, 2010, 11:22:30 AM

If we're playing Jimmy Killeen at midfield then we are completely fucked! Jimmy, and always has been, a scoring forward with pace but lacking a small bit physically. You might be getting him confused with Jimmy Kilcullen from Ballaghaderreen who could certainly do a job at midfield for us.
Aye your right, stand corrected there alright!Obviously not awake this morning when i wrote that, sure he's always been a forward as was a forward when i saw him for garrymore.James Kilcullen was tried out at full back a few years ago as well.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2010, 12:48:47 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 06, 2010, 08:50:21 AM

Ivers was the manager. Billy McNicolas was there so is it likely that Kieran Gallagher was there too? A lot of lads from the same place? Michael Gavin was there and I think Kearns from Davitts.Rochford was the north selector. I think Gallagher was with the Reilly regime.

The point I was trying to make was how ridiculous a decision like playing Burke in the corner could have happened. It was some mess. Several of those lads well beaten by Down were good enough to win U21 six months later. Cafferkey, Cunniffe, Barrett ...

Kieran Gallagher has had an unbroken run with Mayo since 2003. For 2003 and '04 he was selector with Declan O'Reilly. O'Reilly was not reappointed for 2005 but Eugene Ivers then picked Gallagher as a selector. Billy McNicholas was a trainer (hence three involved from Kiltimagh/Swinford area) while Stephen Rochford, Billy Kearns and Mickey Gavin were also selectors.
Ivers waited involved in 2006 with the minors but he lost Gallagher who was brought in as the home selector with Moran and Morrison. The two boys were culled then at the end of 2006 and John O'Mahony came in. And he picked Gallagher as a selector. He's like a bad smell :P
It is some record though, to be with four different management teams without coming up for air.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

I would have thought the general consensus was that he is a good man?
No harm in having a common link sometimes
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me