Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 04, 2009, 01:55:13 PM
Interesting article on the HoganStand quoting some cutting comments from Sean Feeney.

Feeney slams 'leaderless' Mayo

04 December 2009

Mayo secretary Sean Feeney has blasted John O'Mahony's team over the manner of their second half collapse in last August's All-Ireland football quarter-final defeat by Meath.

In his report to next week's annual convention, the full-time secretary accuses the players of lacking leadership and added that manager John O'Mahony and his backroom team "have a lot of work to do".

Expressing clear disappointment with the demise, despite a Connacht success for the first time since 2006, Feeney says that the "total collapse" against the Royals was "inexcusable".

"The team lacked leadership and strength in key areas and until this is addressed we will not be serious contenders for Sam Maguire," he warned.

Feeney has also made a number of suggestions as to how more time can be made for club fixtures and players. He urges all minor, senior, U-21 and junior panels to be cut to 24 again - having previously been at that level before manager pressure restored it to the current 30.

And he proposes that the number of challenge matches be reduced and a compression of the inter-county season involving doubling up of championship weekends in Ulster and Leinster.

Feeney also suggests that the maximum time allowed off from club duty for senior inter-county players should be reduced from 13 to seven days. The Garrymore club have tabled a motion to the convention asking that the inter-provincial championships be discontinued "with immediate effect".

And we all know how many "leaders" we have in the county board, especially when it comes to the self promoting and self-serving agendas. Plenty of leadership again shown in the Mc Hale Park debacle for example. Where does he get this nonsense from?

ballinaman

Quote from: Barney on December 07, 2009, 02:09:56 PM
Anybody know anything about the panel training at the moment.

Any trial games? Additions? Omissions?

Heard from a few sources that some Cross player with blonde hair had a stormer at full forward in a recent trial game scoring a fair few points.....i kid you not :o

AbbeySider

Quote from: ballinaman on December 07, 2009, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: Barney on December 07, 2009, 02:09:56 PM

Heard from a few sources that some Cross player with blonde hair had a stormer at full forward in a recent trial game scoring a fair few points.....i kid you not :o

I wonder is that shite though?

I know there was a charity game in Galway lately. Former Connacht heros Vs current Galway team or something to that effect. McDonald was supposed to have been sublime.

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: Barney on Today at 02:09:56 PM

Heard from a few sources that some Cross player with blonde hair had a stormer at full forward in a recent trial game scoring a fair few points.....i kid you not

I saw something like that on hoganstand but presumed it was shite talk. Where are you getting this from ballinaman?
I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be true, but stranger things have happened.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

I've a friend who's bro is on the panel/team(not from ballina btw). He said it in passing the last day but didn't really have time to question him further. Saw it on hoganstand too so there is a good chance it is shite but ya never know! I'll do my best to confirm it.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on December 07, 2009, 05:00:14 PM
I've a friend who's bro is on the panel/team(not from ballina btw). He said it in passing the last day but didn't really have time to question him further. Saw it on hoganstand too so there is a good chance it is shite but ya never know! I'll do my best to confirm it.

Just when I had some time ago made my peace with the fact that I would never see Mac again in the Mayo jersey. This is nt even funny. Of course it has to be shite though. If Johnno even though about this, after flittering away the past 3 years of Mayo  senior football on  whims and ego, he literally, should be taken out and .... realistically it wont happen . He s pulled his strokes and spun his yarn. I hope Mac and Aidan Higgins dont let themselves be used for some late-in -the-day rehabilitation. He s made his choices and he has to live with them.

highking

Just heard that convention voted for the return of the divisional sides to the senior championship. That means the junior clubs will amalgamate to form North, South, East & West Mayo for Senior. It breaks down as follows:
North - Ardmoy, Lacken, Ardnaree, Lahardane, Kilfian & Ballycastle.
West - Islandeady, Louisburgh, Balla & Parke.
South - Carramore & Neale.
East - Kilmovee & Eastern Gaels.

macdanger2

Quote from: highking on December 08, 2009, 01:47:57 AM
Just heard that convention voted for the return of the divisional sides to the senior championship. That means the junior clubs will amalgamate to form North, South, East & West Mayo for Senior. It breaks down as follows:
North - Ardmoy, Lacken, Ardnaree, Lahardane, Kilfian & Ballycastle.
West - Islandeady, Louisburgh, Balla & Parke.
South - Carramore & Neale.

Hopefully those divisional teams will be properly run - will give a good opportunity for junior players who may be overlooked cos of the club they play for to make their case for the county team.

muscles magoo

Quote from: highking on December 08, 2009, 01:47:57 AM

Are these two clubs seriously going to join and enter the senior championship....????

Tubberman

Interesting piece in The Mayo News giving the list of players who took part in a trial game on Saturday.
Some very promising young players, and a few who are over U21 but have earned their chance.
Looks like this put's the McD rumour to bed as well....

QuoteMAYO manager John O'Mahony ran the rule over 35 footballers who were not part of the county senior squad last season at a trial match last Saturday morning in Castlebar.
The likes of Ballaghaderreen's James Kilcullen, Shrule/Glencorrib's Kevin Walsh, Castlebar's Alan and Richie Feeney, Garrymore's Jimmy Killeen, and Westport's Damien Keane were all given an opportunity to impress the Mayo boss ahead of the start of the FBD League next month.
The Mayo senior and U-21 management teams were both in attendance for the first of two trial games to take place this month between senior and U-21 hopefuls.
Under GAA regulations on winter training, two trial games can take place involving players who were not part of the 2009 squad.
The following is a list of those who took part last weekend: Michael Schlingermann (Kiltimagh), Robert Hennelly (Breaffy), David Gavin (Breaffy), Shane McHale (Knockmore), Pat Mulchrone (Burrishoole), Liam Feeley (Claremorris), Jason Healy (Kiltane) Shane Nally (Garrymore), Alan Feeney (Castlebar), Kevin Keane (Westport), David Kilkenny (Aghamore), Richie Feeney (Castlebar), Lee Keegan (Westport), Eoin Hughes (The Neale), James McAndrew (Cill Chomáin), James Kilcullen (Ballaghaderreen), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Michael Gallagher (Achill), Cathal Carolan (Crossmolina), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Conor Keane (Ballinrobe), Chris Walsh (Ardnaree), Andrew Farrell (Killala), Damien Keane (Westport), Enda McManamon (Burrishoole), Jimmy Killeen (Garrymore), Kevin Walsh (Shrule/Glencorrib), Enda Varley (Garrymore), Paul Doherty (Kilmaine), Cormac Healy (Moy Davitts), Michael Walsh (Ardnaree), Sean Morris (Charlestown), David Dolan (Garrymore), Caolan Crowe (Garrymore) and Alex Quinn (Killala).
A number of other players were injured, involved in club fixtures or unavailable.  They included: Neil Douglas, Aidan Walsh and Ger McDonagh (Castlebar), James Burke (Ballymun Kickhams), Gerry Higgins (Knockmore), James Mulderrig (Moy Davitts), Marcus Hannick (Killala), Alan Egan (Bonniconlon) and Cathal Freeman (Aghamore).
A panel of players for the forthcoming FBD league will be announced early in the New Year. 
Mayo begin their Connacht League campaign with a home game against NUI, Galway on Sunday, January 10. They will also play Sligo IT and Roscommon.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on December 08, 2009, 02:27:30 PM
Interesting piece in The Mayo News giving the list of players who took part in a trial game on Saturday.
Some very promising young players, and a few who are over U21 but have earned their chance.
Looks like this put's the McD rumour to bed as well....

Its both good to see some of the players get a shot but I cant hold back my opinion on this...

The Players:

Michael Schlingermann (Kiltimagh)
David Gavin, Robert Hennelly (Breaffy)
Shane McHale (Knockmore)
Pat Mulchrone (Burrishoole)
Liam Feeley (Claremorris)
Jason Healy (Kiltane)
Richie Feeney, Alan Feeney (Castlebar)
Kevin Keane, Damien Keane, Lee Keegan (Westport)
David Kilkenny, Alan Freeman (Aghamore)
Eoin Hughes (The Neale)
James McAndrew (Cill Chomáin)
James Kilcullen (Ballaghaderreen)
Michael Gallagher (Achill)
Cathal Carolan (Crossmolina)
Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
Conor Keane (Ballinrobe)
Chris Walsh (Ardnaree)
Andrew Farrell (Killala)
Enda McManamon (Burrishoole)
Kevin Walsh (Shrule/Glencorrib)
David Dolan, Caolan Crowe, Shane Nally, Jimmy Killeen, Enda Varley (Garrymore)
Paul Doherty (Kilmaine)
Cormac Healy (Moy Davitts)
Michael Walsh (Ardnaree)
Sean Morris (Charlestown)
Alex Quinn (Killala)

"Unavailable" on the day
Neil Douglas, Aidan Walsh and Ger McDonagh (Castlebar)
James Burke (Ballymun Kickhams)
Gerry Higgins (Knockmore)
James Mulderrig (Moy Davitts)
Marcus Hannick (Killala)
Alan Egan (Bonniconlon)
Cathal Freeman (Aghamore)

I know its says that its the first of two trial games BUT... (I doubt there will be different players in the 2nd game)

No new talent in Ballina -
They have 4 players already involved in the 2009 Senior panel

No new talent in Ballintubber -
Even though we are

* Division 1B champions - winning 10 games from 10
    * Senior 1/4 finalists 2 years running - drawing with last years champions
    * 2 in a row U21A County Champions '08 & '09

1 from Charlestown? (Even though they are Connacht club finalists - Where is Richie Haran btw?)

5 from Garrymore (Even though they dont get out of their championship group this year or last year and finish mid table in 1B)

5 from Castlebar (Even though they won... no wait...  ;)  - Where is Kirby or is he a bit young?)

Tubberman

QuoteI know its says that its the first of two trial games BUT...

No new talent in Ballina -
They have 4 players already involved in the 2009 Senior panel

No new talent in Ballintubber -
Even though we are

* Division 1B champions - winning 10 games from 10
    * Senior 1/4 finalists 2 years running - drawing with last years champions
    * 2 in a row U21A County Champions '08 & '09

1 from Charlestown? (Even though they are Connacht club finalists - Where is Richie Haran btw?)

5 from Garrymore (Even though they dont get out of their championship group this year or last year and finish mid table in 1B)

5 from Castlebar (Even though they won... no wait...    - Where is Kirby or is he a bit young?)

Yeah, it does seem a bit ridiculous that 3 Castlebar U21s were called to the trial, yet none were called from the team that beat them in the final that day.
I'm just hoping that O'Mahony is planning to call a different panel of 35 for the second trial match, and that the teams omitted last weekend receive call-ups proportional to their recent records.

REDCOL

Abbeysider the trials were made up of U21 and Seniors. Three of the Garry contingent are U21 all three have played in all ireland minor finals in the last two years. They should be at u21 trials. The other two are at least worth a look at for the Seniors.

muppet

Quote from: REDCOL on December 08, 2009, 05:27:56 PM
Abbeysider the trials were made up of U21 and Seniors. Three of the Garry contingent are U21 all three have played in all ireland minor finals in the last two years. They should be at u21 trials. The other two are at least worth a look at for the Seniors.

This is Gaa. It is an irrevocable right to abuse management without any basis.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Yep, McD rumour was bullshit. Had that confirmed, friend was only taking the piss. Looks like there is a fair few young players involved in that trial, be interesting to see how they do and if they get called again. Not shocked by the lack of stephenites call up's at this time.