Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

There are 3 nominations in for the minor job. Tony Duffy, George Golden and Padraic Walsh.
All 3 from West Mayo as well, which makes a change in itself.

From The Mayo News:
QuoteWITH the deadline for nominations for the position of Mayo minor football manager closing last night (Monday), The Mayo News has learned that three West Mayo men are in the running for the job.
Former Mayo senior selector, George Golden, former Louisburgh manager, Padraic Walsh, and ex-Ballintubber footballer, Tony Duffy, have all confirmed that they have allowed their names to go forward for the vacant post.
George Golden, a former Kilmeena footballer who is now resident in Westport, was a selector under John Maughan with the Mayo senior football team for three seasons (2003 to 2005 inclusive).
The successful businessman was part of the backroom team for the All-Ireland Final defeat to Kerry in 2004, and also helped the Mayo U-21 team reach the All-Ireland decider that same year.
Padraic Walsh has managed Louisburgh, Westport and West Mayo during a long and distinguished career. The Allergan employee also led his company's senior football team to an All-Ireland inter-firms title.
The former Louisburgh footballer, who now lives in Kilmeena, is a former Mayo GAA Coaching Officer (a position he held for six years) and he has been the Mayo GAA Youth Officer for the last two years.
Tony Duffy is well-known for his role as joint-manager to the Ballintubber football team that captured the Mayo Intermediate championship title in 2007.
His work that season with James Horan followed on from his three year solo stint as Ballintubber manager. 
Duffy works as a teacher in St Louis Community School, Kiltimagh where his coaching partnership with Maurice Sheridan has won him plenty of admirers in recent seasons.
The duo led the school's senior team to the Connacht Colleges Senior 'B' League title last season, and a Championship final appearance, while they also captured the Flanagan Cup 'B' title earlier this month.
At the time of writing (Monday evening), it was not known whether or not any other nominations had been received by the Mayo GAA Board.
The interviews to find a candidate to replace Ray Dempsey (who won two Connacht Minor championships and reached two All-Ireland Finals in three years) are expected to take place next month.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

StoneWall

Quote from: Tubberman on November 24, 2009, 12:57:35 PM
There are 3 nominations in for the minor job. Tony Duffy, George Golden and Padraic Walsh.

Not exactly outstanding candidates! Not sure if any of them are up to the job but Duffy would be my pick from that list and is well ahead of the other two. I have a feeling that the county board will go for their old mate Golden even though he should not be let any where near the job!

I would liked to have seen James Horan nominated.

muppet

Quote from: StoneWall on November 24, 2009, 01:44:54 PM

Not exactly outstanding candidates! Not sure if any of them are up to the job but Duffy would be my pick from that list and is well ahead of the other two. I have a feeling that the county board will go for their old mate Golden even though he should not be let any where near the job!

I would liked to have seen James Horan nominated.

Yea, best of luck Tony.
MWWSI 2017

GaillimhIarthair

From The Mayo News:
QuoteWITH the deadline for nominations for the position of Mayo minor football manager closing last night (Monday), The Mayo News has learned that three West Mayo men are in the running for the job.
Former Mayo senior selector, George Golden, former Louisburgh manager, Padraic Walsh, and ex-Ballintubber footballer, Tony Duffy, have all confirmed that they have allowed their names to go forward for the vacant post.
George Golden, a former Kilmeena footballer who is now resident in Westport, was a selector under John Maughan with the Mayo senior football team for three seasons (2003 to 2005 inclusive).
The successful businessman was part of the backroom team for the All-Ireland Final defeat to Kerry in 2004, and also helped the Mayo U-21 team reach the All-Ireland decider that same year.
Padraic Walsh has managed Louisburgh, Westport and West Mayo during a long and distinguished career. The Allergan employee also led his company's senior football team to an All-Ireland inter-firms title.
The former Louisburgh footballer, who now lives in Kilmeena, is a former Mayo GAA Coaching Officer (a position he held for six years) and he has been the Mayo GAA Youth Officer for the last two years.
Tony Duffy is well-known for his role as joint-manager to the Ballintubber football team that captured the Mayo Intermediate championship title in 2007.
His work that season with James Horan followed on from his three year solo stint as Ballintubber manager. 
Duffy works as a teacher in St Louis Community School, Kiltimagh where his coaching partnership with Maurice Sheridan has won him plenty of admirers in recent seasons.
The duo led the school's senior team to the Connacht Colleges Senior 'B' League title last season, and a Championship final appearance, while they also captured the Flanagan Cup 'B' title earlier this month.
At the time of writing (Monday evening), it was not known whether or not any other nominations had been received by the Mayo GAA Board.
The interviews to find a candidate to replace Ray Dempsey (who won two Connacht Minor championships and reached two All-Ireland Finals in three years) are expected to take place next month.
Best of luck to the ex Ballyboden St Enda's man, would be nice to see him land the minor job and I have no doubt he would be well up to the task.   

AbbeySider

Ya the very best of luck to Tony...
I know he has been working very hard as of late getting his managerial badges and qualifications.

Combined, Tony and Maurice have a lot of experience, and they both would know football fairly well in the county through the schools set-up.

westmayo

Heard last night that there is a fourth nominee, Donal Tohuy from Bonni' also in the mix for the job

AbbeySider

Quote from: westmayo on November 25, 2009, 04:06:46 PM
Heard last night that there is a fourth nominee, Donal Tohuy from Bonni' also in the mix for the job

I wonder will we see any more late hats been thrown in the ring... ?

moysider

Nominations had to be in before now. I doubt that Touhy story is on the level.

RedandGreenSniper

Apparently Paul Jordan from Castlebar Mitchels (originally Kilmovee) has his name in the hat too. I'd say Golden will get it.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Given the hiding Charlestown got today by Corofin, has Mayo experienced a period that won't be repeated for a long time. I think we have blown our chance to lift Sam for a long, long time.  Maybe I'm being over-pessimistic but it's hard to be anything other than this when we consistently end up losing finals.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

I think you may be over pessimistic Farandeelin. Never thought I d see the day that somebody would be more pessimistic than I am!
When we had some of the best club teams in the country it did nt really translate into county success. 3 Connachts in the noughties when Cross, Ballina, Ballagh and Charlestown were really top club teams. In fact maybe we beat ourselves up on local fields too much. You might find a more modest local standard wont damage the county s prospects. Very few of Charlestown or Ballaghadereen players became regular county players. Its incredible that Aidan Higgans And David Tierney did nt have county careers. And not many from Ballina or Crossmolina as you would expect either when those clubs were as good as any club anywhere.

AbbeySider

Interesting article on the HoganStand quoting some cutting comments from Sean Feeney.

Feeney slams 'leaderless' Mayo

04 December 2009

Mayo secretary Sean Feeney has blasted John O'Mahony's team over the manner of their second half collapse in last August's All-Ireland football quarter-final defeat by Meath.

In his report to next week's annual convention, the full-time secretary accuses the players of lacking leadership and added that manager John O'Mahony and his backroom team "have a lot of work to do".

Expressing clear disappointment with the demise, despite a Connacht success for the first time since 2006, Feeney says that the "total collapse" against the Royals was "inexcusable".

"The team lacked leadership and strength in key areas and until this is addressed we will not be serious contenders for Sam Maguire," he warned.

Feeney has also made a number of suggestions as to how more time can be made for club fixtures and players. He urges all minor, senior, U-21 and junior panels to be cut to 24 again - having previously been at that level before manager pressure restored it to the current 30.

And he proposes that the number of challenge matches be reduced and a compression of the inter-county season involving doubling up of championship weekends in Ulster and Leinster.

Feeney also suggests that the maximum time allowed off from club duty for senior inter-county players should be reduced from 13 to seven days. The Garrymore club have tabled a motion to the convention asking that the inter-provincial championships be discontinued "with immediate effect".

mortified

Just trying to settle a bet with a person at work, When was the last time Mayo played in the bottom division of the league?.
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

Mayo4Sam

I don't think we ever have, were in div 3 in 96
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Barney

Anybody know anything about the panel training at the moment.

Any trial games? Additions? Omissions?