Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on October 27, 2009, 10:40:50 PM
Ray Dempsey confirmed as U-21 manager, this is good news.

Fair play, hopefully he will get the best out of them and that we can continue our winning streak in Connacht.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 28, 2009, 11:36:32 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 27, 2009, 10:40:50 PM
Ray Dempsey confirmed as U-21 manager, this is good news.

Fair play, hopefully he will get the best out of them and that we can continue our winning streak in Connacht.

If memory serves me correct, the current crop of Mayo U21's are the same guys that lost to Roscommon in the 2007 Connacht Minor final?

From this report:
http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2007/06/27/story37338.asp

The players used that day were:
Josh Tierney, Michael Gallagher, Kevin Keane, Kevin McLoughlin, Sean Prendergast, Micheal Jennings, Ruairdhri O'Connor, Sean Morris, Michael Nestor, Keith Glynn (c), Caoimhin Carty, Niall Prenty, Mark Tierney, Jason Doherty, Alan Freeman.

Subs used: Damien Keane (for Carty 24), Aidan O'Shea (for Tierney 42), Gary Loftus (for Glynn 42), Ronan Warde (for Nestor 50), Donal Gallagher (for Morris 59).

Its a fairly decent team on paper, and there will most likely be some new additions to the set-up.
But I always felt, that minor team didnt really reach their potential, so hopefully they will be stronger this time around.

Tubberman

Good to see Dempsey getting the U21 job. There'll be a fair bit of expectation on him and the squad though.
We have won 4 Connacht U21 titles in a row, and now have the manager (and a lot of the players) that were involved in 2 All-Ireland minor finals in a row.
It's also very important that the right person is appointed as minor manager. There has been great work put in over the last few years, and that momentum needs to be continued.
I've heard one name stronly linked with the job. Who would be the choices of board members?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on October 29, 2009, 11:41:55 AM
Good to see Dempsey getting the U21 job. There'll be a fair bit of expectation on him and the squad though.
We have won 4 Connacht U21 titles in a row, and now have the manager (and a lot of the players) that were involved in 2 All-Ireland minor finals in a row.
It's also very important that the right person is appointed as minor manager. There has been great work put in over the last few years, and that momentum needs to be continued.
I've heard one name stronly linked with the job. Who would be the choices of board members?

James Horan? I've also heard Martin Connolly and Shane Conway linked. I'd be happy with either. Would probably prefer Horan, only if it was to take him away from the Tubber!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mayo 4 eva

For me id like to see Martin Connolly in charge.  As i see it he would have an advantage in that he would see a lot of players in the variuos schools games involving teams from Mayo. That surely would be an advantage as trial matches might not always produce the best players.
I also think its no coinsidence that colleges football is strong in Mayo, at a time where the county set up has improved.  Galway won more than their fair share when St. Mary's, the bish, st pats, and jarlaths ruled supreme in the schools game in the provence.
I would also suggest that there be a member of the backround team from north,south and east to go to the club games to keep the pressure on the chosen panel, and spot new players, something Ray tried to do i tkink.
The Question is..... What is the Question?

mortified

What's the position of the U-21 championship, is it at the semi stage? whos left?

quit your jibba jabba fool!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 29, 2009, 11:44:01 AM

James Horan? I've also heard Martin Connolly and Shane Conway linked. I'd be happy with either. Would probably prefer Horan, only if it was to take him away from the Tubber!

Is that putting words in the mans mouth R&GS?  ;)
Everyone in the 'tubber would like to hold onto James if we can...

I know ye Breaffy shower would love to weaken us as much as possible!  :P

AbbeySider

Quote from: mortified on October 29, 2009, 01:02:30 PM
What's the position of the U-21 championship, is it at the semi stage? whos left?

I think the four teams that are left are:
Breaffy
Knockmore
Ballintubber
Castlebar Mitchels

Knockmore probably being favourites for it, Castlebar and Breaffy close second and third favourites.

The semi's will probably be ran off after this weekends Senior League fixtures

joemamas

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 29, 2009, 02:12:33 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 29, 2009, 11:44:01 AM

Although I am not sure if he has expressed an interest, Stephen Healy would be a good candidate, Successful with Charlestown in 2001/2002 and has been a selector for the past three years. Personally I am not sure how individuals can give the amount of time involved.
Is that putting words in the mans mouth R&GS?  ;)
Everyone in the 'tubber would like to hold onto James if we can...

I know ye Breaffy shower would love to weaken us as much as possible!  :P

AbbeySider

joemamas,
Why did you just post a quote and not say anything?  ???

joemamas

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 29, 2009, 02:48:03 PM
joemamas,

Apologies, I would categorize myself as sometimes technologically challenged. Not sure how my quote got mixed up in the middle of your one.

Although I am not sure if he has expressed an interest, Stephen Healy would be a good candidate, Successful with Charlestown in 2001/2002 and has been a selector for the past three years. Personally I am not sure how individuals can give the amount of time involved.

AbbeySider

Quote from: joemamas on October 29, 2009, 02:53:19 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 29, 2009, 02:48:03 PM
joemamas,

Apologies, I would categorize myself as sometimes technologically challenged. Not sure how my quote got mixed up in the middle of your one.

No prob!   ;)
I thought that you thought you had posted something when you didnt.

muppet

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on October 29, 2009, 12:01:29 PM
For me id like to see Martin Connolly in charge.  As i see it he would have an advantage in that he would see a lot of players in the variuos schools games involving teams from Mayo. That surely would be an advantage as trial matches might not always produce the best players.
I also think its no coinsidence that colleges football is strong in Mayo, at a time where the county set up has improved.  Galway won more than their fair share when St. Mary's, the bish, st pats, and jarlaths ruled supreme in the schools game in the provence.
I would also suggest that there be a member of the backround team from north,south and east to go to the club games to keep the pressure on the chosen panel, and spot new players, something Ray tried to do i tkink.

The Bish? When did they rule Connacht Colleges Gaa?
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on October 29, 2009, 04:52:27 PM
Quote from: mayo 4 eva on October 29, 2009, 12:01:29 PM

The Bish? When did they rule Connacht Colleges Gaa?

Ya sure they are a soccer school......

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mortified on October 29, 2009, 01:02:30 PM

Knockmore play Ballinrobe on Sunday in the remaining quarterfinal.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.