Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: ballinaman on September 03, 2009, 11:57:15 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 03, 2009, 11:36:47 AM
Did anyone else hear the rumour that Noel Connelly is joining John O Mahoney's management team as a replacement for Kieran Gallagher? I heard it last week from a couple of source.

He will make a good addition id say. A good talker in the dressing room and a good motivator.
He always had the Mayo U21 lads in good shape too so he has a lot to offer.

That would be great news. He'll add a bit of fire anways! Speaking of which, Dempsey was supposed to have grabbed each player one by one by the jersey at half time in the minor semi and given them the old "hair dryer treatment". Some man, will need that again before the final!!
not sure it would be a like for like swop . afaik Kieran Gallagher is the coach/Trainer of the team . and a very good one at that . a Technical position the type of role that is paid for in a lot  the man that runs the sessions and the man they players look to . would connelly be fit for such a role?
Deputy o mahony has far more grandiose things to do than actually train teams.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blast05

QuoteSounds good in theory. I would be in favour of getting North Mayo (amalgamated Junior teams) back into the championship to see how it goes. But it did fizzle out after a bit... I cant remember why exactly that happened.

Too many clubs in North Mayo prevented it from ever really kicking off. I think 1 year it was from 11 clubs and all clubs seemed to have to have 2 or 3 representatives. I played for them for a few years. On my last year with them i got a pretty bad injury ... hospital etc  .... got a signed card from the lads. I came accross it there a few weeks back and only recognised about 4 or 5 of the names ... .was only ever a team of individuals who barely knew one anothers names.
It should be split into a smaller group. Currently there is an underage team - Naomh Padraig - for minor and U-16 representing Killala, Lacken, Ballycastle & Kilfian (none of those clubs can field a team on their own anymore - Ballycastle joined the other 3 this year who had been merged for a few years already). Why not let those 4 clubs combine to enter a team in the senior championship ? There would be a developing bond in years to come as the underage teams come through

stephenite

Quote from: blast05 on September 05, 2009, 12:28:07 AM
QuoteSounds good in theory. I would be in favour of getting North Mayo (amalgamated Junior teams) back into the championship to see how it goes. But it did fizzle out after a bit... I cant remember why exactly that happened.

Too many clubs in North Mayo prevented it from ever really kicking off. I think 1 year it was from 11 clubs and all clubs seemed to have to have 2 or 3 representatives. I played for them for a few years. On my last year with them i got a pretty bad injury ... hospital etc  .... got a signed card from the lads. I came accross it there a few weeks back and only recognised about 4 or 5 of the names ... .was only ever a team of individuals who barely knew one anothers names.
It should be split into a smaller group. Currently there is an underage team - Naomh Padraig - for minor and U-16 representing Killala, Lacken, Ballycastle & Kilfian (none of those clubs can field a team on their own anymore - Ballycastle joined the other 3 this year who had been merged for a few years already). Why not let those 4 clubs combine to enter a team in the senior championship ? There would be a developing bond in years to come as the underage teams come through

Good idea

Farrandeelin

That might happen yet blast. Ardagh and Moygownagh were one team at underage level up to minor and this year they had to go senior under the Ardmoy name because the playing population wasn't there.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 05, 2009, 03:34:39 PM

That might happen yet blast. Ardagh and Moygownagh were one team at underage level up to minor and this year they had to go senior under the Ardmoy name because the playing population wasn't there.

There's one thing putting clubs together because teams are not able to field otherwise but it is another matter altogether being opportunistic about it and getting clubs together to play at senior. Where is your cut off point? What would happen to players from clubs like Ardagh and Moygownagh who are junior and watch lads for Ballycastle and Kilfian just up the road combine with a few more to play at senior? They'd rightly feel hard done by. Would these amalgamations be representative teams - would the clubs still compete at junior in their own right? At least splitting it on a divisional basis would leave it less open to complaints. Anyway there's not as many junior clubs now is there? Ardmoy is a club essentially, then you have Lacken, Ballycastle, Kilfian, Ballycroy and Ardnaree.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

I'm told kilfian will be joining them, prob 2011.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

blast05

QuoteAnyway there's not as many junior clubs now is there? Ardmoy is a club essentially, then you have Lacken, Ballycastle, Kilfian, Ballycroy and Ardnaree.

Ballycroy are too far away from the other clubs. Of the 4, Ballycastle would be the closest yet they are still 30 miles from Ballycroy.
Ardnaree are ...... well ..... a towny club  :P  More relevantly though, they do not neighbour any of the other 4. No reason you could not throw Ardmoy into the mix either i guess.

mrhardyannual

I wouldnt be too hung up on the make up of the amalgamations but 4 teams made up of the current junior clubs added to the 16 senior clubs would allow for 4 groups of 5 with two home and two away games. It would have the additional bonus of allowing each club one free championship weekend.
All possibilities should be discussed. Maintaining the status quo is not enough

muscles magoo

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 07, 2009, 08:22:51 PM
It would have the additional bonus of allowing each club one free championship weekend.

I don't see where this would be an advantage to be honest?

The idea of two home and two away games is a good one though - the present system whereby some teams have to travel twice whereas others have the advantage of two home games is a little unfair.

muscles magoo

Quote from: stephenite on September 05, 2009, 03:38:17 AM

Good idea

Not sure actually. What if they were to get relegated? Would they continue to operate out of the intermediate championship? Would this not defeat the initial purpose?

stephenite

Quote from: muscles magoo on September 08, 2009, 09:22:41 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 05, 2009, 03:38:17 AM

Good idea

Not sure actually. What if they were to get relegated? Would they continue to operate out of the intermediate championship? Would this not defeat the initial purpose?

Don't divisional teams in Kerry still play together regardles of this? Think they do but could be wrong

the Deel Rover

Lokks like the backroom team is staying the same

O'Mahony calls Mayo players together 

Mike Finnerty

MAYO manager John O'Mahony last night clarified some inaccurate reports that appeared in a number of national newspapers last week claiming that he was keen on taking up the 'remaining twelve months' of his term as senior football boss.
Speaking to The Mayo News, O'Mahony confirmed that a two year extension to his term as Mayo manager will begin next season, meaning that he is set to remain in charge until the end of the 2011 season.
"That was reported inaccurately last week," he said. "I said directly after the Meath game that I was keen to stay on as Mayo manager and nothing has changed."
O'Mahony also revealed that the Mayo senior football squad met with the team management last weekend. This was the first get-together since losing the All-Ireland quarter-final to Meath last month.
"We had a players' meeting which was a debrief on the year and on the Meath match," he explained. "Unfortunately that game was the climax of the year for us. That meeting last weekend was the start of things again but we need some breathing space now.
"Some players are still involved in the club championship, some aren't, and some are going back to college so there's a lot of stuff to sort through before making any definite plans."
The Ballaghaderreen native went on to confirm that both his selectors, Kieran Gallagher and Tommy Lyons, will be staying on for 2010. "For the most part, my backroom team will be the same," he said.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 08, 2009, 02:19:21 PM
Lokks like the backroom team is staying the same

O'Mahony calls Mayo players together 

Mike Finnerty

MAYO manager John O'Mahony last night clarified some inaccurate reports that appeared in a number of national newspapers last week claiming that he was keen on taking up the 'remaining twelve months' of his term as senior football boss.
Speaking to The Mayo News, O'Mahony confirmed that a two year extension to his term as Mayo manager will begin next season, meaning that he is set to remain in charge until the end of the 2011 season.
"That was reported inaccurately last week," he said. "I said directly after the Meath game that I was keen to stay on as Mayo manager and nothing has changed."
O'Mahony also revealed that the Mayo senior football squad met with the team management last weekend. This was the first get-together since losing the All-Ireland quarter-final to Meath last month.
"We had a players' meeting which was a debrief on the year and on the Meath match," he explained. "Unfortunately that game was the climax of the year for us. That meeting last weekend was the start of things again but we need some breathing space now.
"Some players are still involved in the club championship, some aren't, and some are going back to college so there's a lot of stuff to sort through before making any definite plans."
The Ballaghaderreen native went on to confirm that both his selectors, Kieran Gallagher and Tommy Lyons, will be staying on for 2010. "For the most part, my backroom team will be the same," he said.

"For the most part" anyway

StoneWall

You couldn't make this stuff up!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7650&Itemid=38

McHale Park development in doubt 

Stormy Town Council meeting sees councillors vote in favour of revoking planning permission

THE media tower and adjoining toilets at the re-developed McHale Park in Castlebar may have to be demolished after a majority of Castlebar Town councillors voted to revoke planning permission granted to the Mayo County GAA Board for the development.
This comes after it has emerged in recent weeks that the media tower doesn't conform to what was sought in the planning application and at a tension packed meeting of the Town Council last Thursday night, the members voted 6-3 in favour of Cllr Frank Durcan's motion to revoke the planning permission.

The meeting, held at Aras an Chontae, was attended by close to 40 residents of McHale Road.
The success of the motion led Town Manager Seamus Granahan to state he would be getting legal advice after he questioned whether the councillors could legally revoke the permission for the tower. The tower is part of a €15m re-development at the venue.
However, speaking after the meeting Mayor Michael Kilcoyne, was confident that the motion will develop successfully.
"I am satisfied that we are on a firm footing," he told The Mayo News. "We, the councillors who have supported the residents, will consider further action if we're refused. Discussions have to take place between the County Board and the residents and a solution has to be arrived at. The solution that will be arrived at won't involve the current broadcasting box. That will have to go. It is an ugly sight, like something you would see in Long Kesh."

Cllr Kilcoyne also told the meeting that he felt this could have been avoided had the County Board 'shown respect' to the residents.
"The County Board have nobody to blame but themselves," said Councillor Kilcoyne. "They are like the cowboy builders we talk about at meetings all the time - get permission for one thing and build something else."

The motion was proposed by Cllr Frank Durcan who also argued that there was no planning permission for toilets adjoining the media tower.
Cllr Durcan, a valuer by profession, also stated that the prices of the houses on McHale Road directly opposite the tower had gone down in value.

The four Fine Gael councillors - Cllrs Ger Deere, Brendan Henaghan, Noreen Heston and Eugene McCormack - informed the meeting they had met with the County Board's architects, David O'Malley & Co, and it initially appeared they were going to vote en masse against the motion.
However Councillor Brendan Henaghan broke ranks and voted in favour of the motion.
Labour's Harry Barrett, Fianna Fail's Blackie Gavin and Sinn Féin's Therese Ruane also voted for the motion, together with the proposer and seconder - Cllr Durcan and Mayor Kilcoyne.

A notice of motion was also served by Cllr Frank Durcan and a special meeting was convened to direct the Town Manager to refuse the retention planning permission sought in recent weeks for the alterations.
That meeting will take place on September 21 at a venue to be confirmed.
After the vote was taken Ms Maura Flynn spoke on behalf of the McHale Road residents. She stated that the residents were not against the re-development of McHale Park, but against the nature of the building of the tower, as well as the visual impact.
"We wanted something nice built. We are not against the development. But when we saw what was going up we knew something was wrong. You do not build something and then apply for planning permission. That's what drives us mad. We have all built extensions to our houses. We applied for planning permission and conformed with the law. Let the County Board do the same."
Speaking on Friday County Board Chairman James Waldron said they were going to wait for the outcome of their application for planning retention. That application is on public viewing for a five week period.

"There is a process there in place and we'll be leaving it up to the planning people. I don't think it can be sorted by the councillors, it is a matter for the planners. I wouldn't be worried because there is a process there. We've left everything to the design team and they've made the necessary changes."

prewtna

this is hilarious!

it would serve the county board right for a couple of reasons.

firstly - dont piss off the mchale road residents by building something you dont have permission for. they have been contrary enough for a few years regarding mchale park (and rightly so to be fair to them).

secondly - get a decent architect or engineer who can design out the bloody colums from the stand and make a better fist at the press box - its a joke of a design - something more lowslung would be approriate. theres no need for it to be so tall.

thirdly - dont you know the council are looking for someone to make an example of, after years of people bulding extensions, slatted houses, housing estates with 10 extra houses etc etc etc only then to seek retention. fecking hell its father ted stuff.

as far as i know a county/town council can take a vote on a planning permission and overturn decisions. so they might be able to prevent the retention permission. im not sure about this and could wrong!